New to GPS

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

New to GPS

Post by cs_drums »

So recently install an older Lowrance GPS and I have no clue what I am doing. I need to load a map so that its not a blanck screen correct? Where do I get the map down load. Sorry if I sound stupid just have absolutely no experience with GPS except for turning my buddies on and looking at it haha.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: New to GPS

Post by tcm glx »

Copy and past this info..... it is great!!

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... =32&t=1807
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Wanted to bump this up, since I finally installed my GPS before KOH and am still learning how to use it...this video is posted by Rugged Routes, and this particular one is on how to record your trail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGtO9AH2ySc
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

cs_drums wrote:So recently install an older Lowrance GPS and I have no clue what I am doing. I need to load a map so that its not a blank screen correct? Where do I get the map down load. Sorry if I sound stupid just have absolutely no experience with GPS except for turning my buddies on and looking at it haha.
======
Maybe you will have the default map showing US freeways and some major roads? Some came that way. Which model do you have?
Ok where do you want to use the GPS.
1) If you want to use the GPS in Baja then buy the map from Murdocknav.com
2) If you want to use in CA then buy the CA map from ORW
Then you switch SD cards for the place you are at.
Ask questions when you get further along.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

After you get the maps loaded then load the tracks you want. Same kind of drill. Put the .USR track on the SD card and go to the load command
Then put the map card back in the GPS
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Along with the info above, the best thing you can do is set the thing up in your daily driver and play with it every day for a couple weeks. Nothing tougher than heading out to somewhere new AND trying to figure out your navigation system at the same time!

It is pretty amazing how different the Lowrance operating systems became as the new versions came out, to the point that you feel like you are starting from scratch.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

300 wrote:Along with the info above, the best thing you can do is set the thing up in your daily driver and play with it every day for a couple weeks. Nothing tougher than heading out to somewhere new AND trying to figure out your navigation system at the same time!

It is pretty amazing how different the Lowrance operating systems became as the new versions came out, to the point that you feel like you are starting from scratch.
That last sentence says it all for me which is why I will be going to Leadnav or some other tablet based GPS instead.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

I've been pretty interested in the LeAdNav stuff. What has me turned off of it is two things
1) everyone I see with LeAdNav also has. Lowrance, why the redundancy. I do t know. Maybe too lazy to twk out the Lowrance?.
2) reliability of the Lowrance. Once you learn to use your I it, it works fantastic. Never let me down.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Yes, Lowrance requires a bunch of effort to become competent. Some hand holding with a experienced GPSer sure will help. Practice with many of the features is required.
If all you want is a race track to follow or a background map to follow than you do not need a Lowrance. Plenty of picture viewers are out there and they call them GPS. The LeAdNav is an app for a gadget. I has no where the features that a Lowrance has. Read simple. Lowrance sells breadcrumb navigation units not city turn by turn places to find. And they wont make phone calls.
IMO, an app for a gadget is a toy not an tool. Discard the toy of real navigation is required.

Decide what you want to do then choose a device. Most get by with a Garmin Nuvi it will make waypoints & show the picture of a map and a race track that you download, It will do what an app on a gadget will do. The advantage of an app for a gadget is you can carry in along just like a portable GPS. Do you like the small screen? And it will have limited function. Lowrance GPS is not applicable for a daily driver.