lowrance network 5 inch and 10 inch on one LGC-3000

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: lowrance network 5 inch and 10 inch on one LGC-3000

Post by PaulW »

Explain how the wifi module and a smart phone would be used in the field. Having a hard time understanding the functionality. Out in the Baja desert Cell connectivity is very intermittent.
How does it work?
PW
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

The Main benefit I see is to have a Drivers side GPS and then have a 10" Tablet on the Passenger side for the Navigator to control and edit waypoints on the fly. Now the phone could do the same but smaller screen even though I have a Samsung Note 2 cell phone. WIFI and GPS do not need cell service to work. The WIFI Lowrance module is basically a wifi router.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

So it could replace the dual GPSs that the racers are using? All this talk about phones and tablets that function as a gps is a mystery for myself. Small screen is hard to deal with. The labels and words on the background maps are not really visible. I know this because I have been thru many trials (at a good expense) and when you have trouble reading the text it really detracts from the job at hand which is driving. Having said that my latest try is a Garmin Montana which with its 4" screen is much better than other small screens.
Now using a mid size tablet should be a better choice, due to screen size, and the wifi to drive it from a proper Lowrance GPS should have promise?
Can the setup display the exact same image on the devices as is on the Lowrance? If so then the only disadvantage I can think of would be the distraction to the driver when the co driver makes GPS inputs.
One thing for sure is the Apple devices sure have better screen resolution than any GPS I have ever heard of.
The great screen resolution on these Apple devices make my wonder why I still use a computer.
Paul
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Paul

looks like my link was bad so here you go
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Wireless/

this is what I have learned so far..... about the WIFI networking unit for Lowrance ( thank you Wrightracing for showing me it was available by the way)

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong on this....

My understanding is for the tablet to control the Lowrance unit it must be a touch screen lowrance unit (It is still unclear what control means). Phone is Viewing only on touch Lowrance

if the tablet/phone is for viewing only it can be a non touch HDS unit with the newest software update and the app on the tablet /phone.

both set up need the GoFree WIFI-1 Module

GoFree Wireless puts information and control in the palm of your hand.

1. Connect the Lowrance WIFI-1 module to view or control your HDS Gen2 or
HDS Gen2 Touch system

2. Install the GoFree Controller app below to unlock the power of wireless on your boat!
Use your mobile electronics to view chartplotter, sonar, StructureScan HD, engine data and more
Plot routes and waypoints, explore different areas on a chart, or TrackBack™ through recordings on live sonar and structure logs
Adjust radar guard zones
And even control your music

*Compatibility Chart Smart Phone Tablet
HDS Gen2 Touch Viewing Control
HDS Gen2 Viewing Viewing
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

*Compatibility Chart to Smart Phone or Tablet

HDS Gen2 Touch
Viewing with Smart Phone
Control with Tablet

HDS Gen2
Viewing with Smart Phone
Viewing with Tablet
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Thanks for the info
Very cool. Like someone in the back seat can control or watch the gps screen.
Mount the big phone/tablet in front of the driver and the GPS in front of the codog. Could save some $ since the phone/tab has many uses when not in the truck.
Paul
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

It also looks like Lowrance / navico is opening up it code to better serve the tablet and smart phone world.....

GoFree™ Wireless Technology enables wireless viewing and control* of HDS Gen2 or
HDS Gen2 Touch displays with a smartphone or tablet.
Go Free Wireless Toolkit

Open Protocol
Do you have a great idea for a fishing app or a new way of looking at information your HDS Gen2 or Gen2 Touch system? The GoFree open development platform allows 3rd parties to develop apps to make the most of wireless connectivity to the HDS Gen2 and Gen2 Touch. A growing list of compatible applications, such as iNavX™ and NMEAremote are available with more on the way. Yours could be next! Download our development toolkit today and help millions of anglers get more from their Lowrance electronics.
Read more...

The GoFree open protocol data strategy groups data into 5 different Tiers. Access to data varies, but essentially all data is free to use if it enhances the desirability of Lowrance MFDs.

Specifications for Tier 1 and Tier 2 (view only) are available to download for free - follow the links below. Any developer wishing to use Tier 2 control or Tiers 3 to 5 should contact gofree@navico.com with a proposal. Support for Tiers 2-5 will be included in the Lowrance HDS RTM2 Software release, available from late 2012.
Tier 1 Specification (PDF, 181KB)

For more information on the GoFree Developers Toolkit, or for access requiring development tiers 3-5, please contact Lowrance at gofree@navico.com.
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

update

LGC-4000 on a network (2 gps units) worked fine ....speed of travel on dirt was only about 40 MPH the refresh was a little slower but I did not have a stop watch on it...... this was on older units not HDS units.

I tested on one antenna then compared to 2 antennas for sure works ....tho with just one antenna.

Keep in mind when I added the second antenna the first antenna already had memory on satellite. I think that make a difference on speed

I also tested the Garmin 17x (refresh of 5X) antenna and 19x (refresh of 10X) antenna on the lowrance units works great........as long as the parts you are buying are NMEA 2000 network compatible....IE Cables, ohm resister, Antennas it seems to all work together....I will keep testing
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

My question is why can't you have a Baja series Lowrance and have it do turn by turn like say my shitty iphone? Waypoints are great in BFE but it would be great to have turn by turn on the bigger screen. Is there an app for that lol??!??
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Because lowrance units are really chart plotters for boats & aviation. Not on road use like us - a VERY small portion of the market - use them for. Normal people won't spend $500 or so on a turn by turn GPS when they can get a small garmin for 1/2 or less.
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

Steve nailed it....

They did try back in 2003-05 I think date rang was..... with the I-way500c and I-way600C units cost 599 and did turn by turn and all the Map stuff we use. I have one it works well for chasing and are cheap now.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Lowrance XOG does turn by turn in the states id you have the stock map of the ORW, PCI, or even a MapCreate map. I have used one and it works fine. Cost is around $125 for a new unit off the web. I dos good for making trails like any Globalmap, but has less features.
My advice if you want turn by turn in the states or Canada buy a Garmin Nuvi. Cost is very low by comparison. Look for the 7xxx series with a wide 7" screen. All Garmin's are discounted on tehe web.
BTW, There is nothing wrong with having more than one GPS - one for every uses or application.
Paul