Re: Building a gps app

Post by funinthesun95 »

any updates?
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

funinthesun95 wrote:any updates?
Slowly working on it. I've got it importing gpx files, but rendering the points and paths on the screen is slow right now. I'm working on optimizing it a little before I move on.

I also half started on the system for poi/hazard entry.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Sweet,

Working on it is all that matters to me.....lol

Good APP take development….
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Any update on the app? I got a new Galaxy 12.2 Tablet for Christmas. I want to run it in my F350 for a GPS
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

This kind of got put on the back burner. I've done a lot more Android development stuff at work so I'm planning on getting back to this soon since I know way more about the system.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Cool
BabyJake
Bronco Info: 1988 Ford Bronco V8 5.8L 4x4 Eddie Bower

Post by BabyJake »

Yes please do update us!
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Sweet ....

I have a 10 inch Samsung ready for testing if you need help with that part......in the early stages Pre- ALPHA , ALPHA, BETA ....I think is how it goes...hah
Wrightracing.net

I'll Beta test it in Baja. I will run it beside my Lowrance we use for chasing.

I did find one that looks like it might work well. But I have not used it in the dirt yet. It is called View Ranger GPS - Trails and Maps. It has a limited free version but for $20 you can purchase a full US topographic map with trails off road. I may try it next time out.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Phoenix0783 wrote:At the request of one of my friends who rides in a trophy truck, I've started developing an android mapping/trails app specifically for the needs of people that do what we do. It's pretty basic right now, but I'm going to be adding all the good features soon. You guys mind posting up features that you would like to see?

Current working features:
Basic tracking
Basic POI addition
=======
If you cater to off road racers then just about every feature and option that Lowrance GPS provides in their old and new GPS would be mandatory. If all you want is a picture with a cursor and WPs then just buy something like a tablet.
We build the race tracks with Lowrance for a very good reason and that is because of all the features. And when we complete the track we share it with the public and if they have a compatible GPS all is good. The manual for any of the old or new Lowrance GPSs will lead you the way and sure enough is requires deep study and understanding.
Good luck.
PW
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Paul- is it possible to have a Lowrance 540 that can do a turn by turn nav in a city then have access to waypoints and such for treks off-highway??
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

No. The Lowrance stuff (aside from the XOG) doesn't do turn by turn. That's why some guys love the XOG's as they do both, but the screens are small
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Why the hell not? I guess that just doesn't make any sense to me.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Read my reply to your post in the other thread. Because we are WAAAY too small of a market portion you go after.
Wrightracing.net

Building a gps app

I love my XOG. It would be nice to have a big GPS from Lowrance with the same on street turn by turn. I have used it in the city in Ensanada and Tijuana. I have the old school 5" monochromatic Lowrance GPS units in my Bronco and F350. In those we don't have the turn by turn but off road that really is not needed. We do have the off course alerts and it is great to have when racing.

I have not used the new HDS units but it would be better to have the turn by turn but not something that the race trucks would use.
wookiee156
Bronco Info: 1988 full sise aka "The Blue Mare" soon to be prerunner / chaserig

Post by wookiee156 »

I've worked with an app this now called "trace" usted to be "alpine replay" they have added some unique features that I think would be cool. Like video overlay with real time stats on screen speed, jump night , hang time, distance just my 2 cents.:-) good luck with the app though I look forward to checking it out when I finaly get my bronco together