Building a gps app

Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Building a gps app

Post by Phoenix0783 »

At the request of one of my friends who rides in a trophy truck, I've started developing an android mapping/trails app specifically for the needs of people that do what we do. It's pretty basic right now, but I'm going to be adding all the good features soon. You guys mind posting up features that you would like to see?

Current map:

Current working features:
Basic tracking
Basic POI addition
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Building a gps app

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Cool timing. Just stumbled across this earlier today. Not done reading it yet, but there may be some info that could help you in there.

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/general ... 211040.htm
Phoenix0783

Post by Phoenix0783 »

Haha. This thread was born out of my post in that one. Figured it would be good to get more people's ideas.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Nice!! I look forward to this
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

One of the things I like is the ability to have Google earth map overlay for the US and Mexico offline. It would be nice to be able to load Lowrance maps from Score and PCI.

I think it would be cool to be able to network apps so you could show people you approved see you on their gps app.

One of the ideas I had was to have a Msat radio that hooked up to a GPS and it could give real time GPS location and give uninterrupted radio communication but like a race radio instead of a Sat phone. Cost is the issue but completely realistic with current technology.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I would love to see symbols that make sense on race course marking.....
Then a color change of the same symbol that can be used for access road marking hazards, speed, turns, silt, rocks, road types etc (don't bring a trailer in here) for chase group help, safety and awareness.
I just know I’m always down to help and when it is a place I have not been at all or for a while……. I would love the info up front if possible from the guys that pre run if I can’t go.

I get also you could use the same symbols and the access road color would be different from the race course ...... but you asked for a wish list right....hah

Just an Idea ....Thx
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

funinthesun95 wrote:I would love to see symbols that make sense on race course marking.....
Then a color change of the same symbol that can be used for access road marking hazards, speed, turns, silt, rocks, road types etc (don't bring a trailer in here) for chase group help, safety and awareness.
I just know I’m always down to help and when it is a place I have not been at all or for a while……. I would love the info up front if possible from the guys that pre run if I can’t go.

I get also you could use the same symbols and the access road color would be different from the race course ...... but you asked for a wish list right....hah

Just an Idea ....Thx

Color changes between highways, access roads and race map is huge..... I think it is also important to be able to overlay (ties in to the above comment).... be able to take a Score map, the BFG access roads map, local maps and choose them to overlay. That is important stuff when broken or chasing.

For Racing, I am going to assume that the "gotchas" and how they are labeled is key. Check this out.... looks like Post is going to full Apple.... any idea what apps he is using? I know your focus is Android stuff... but maybe there is a market or need for both?

Gearing up for the win:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/life-on-ipad/ ... r-the-win/
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Yes on the android. It would be nice to be able to plug in a external USB antenna that the app could use.
Phoenix0783

Post by Phoenix0783 »

funinthesun95 wrote:I would love to see symbols that make sense on race course marking.....

Just an Idea ....Thx
You mean the color of the symbols can change depending on severity? I like that idea. Different colors for different tracks?
Phoenix0783

Post by Phoenix0783 »

I'm also thinking about having a "planning mode" and a "race mode". Planning would be for easily marking hazards and tracking the location and race mode would be for easy retrieval and display.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I like the different colors for different tracks thing. I know on the lowrance there's a bunch of different colors that can be selected for your trail.

I also like the "planning" and "race" modes you describe!
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

Phoenix0783 wrote:

Just an Idea ....Thx
You mean the color of the symbols can change depending on severity? I like that idea. Different colors for different tracks?
Yes so Color example Green Yellow Orange Red and a symbol for Hazard and maybe even a few different symbol for extreme type of Hazards bolder, cliff in course, tree…. Start of silt bed……you get the idea these can be used on all aspects of the mapping race or access road to course. I get everyone has a different idea of what a hazard is but the app that would apply to all type of classes and styles of driving.

If the color would change each time you ran through a section in a prerun that be good/fine but once you pick your line you should be able to adjust those colors as well to match first second third or best to worst kind of thing after you did all your runs….dose that make sense....numbering would work maybe as well as far as best lines/tracks
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

Phoenix0783 wrote:I'm also thinking about having a "planning mode" and a "race mode". Planning would be for easily marking hazards and tracking the location and race mode would be for easy retrieval and display.

great idea.
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

Remind me not to post on the board from my phone....my grammar sucks like always....
greaslife
Bronco Info: Home built is the way too go even if they don't like it.

Post by greaslife »

Any updates.
Phoenix0783

Post by Phoenix0783 »

Not at the moment. It's just me working on it so it's really slow. I had to re-architect a few things to make the map files smaller and have a smaller memory footprint. I'll probably really get on it after the holidays.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

Because I'll likely never venture south far enough to see the border again but will be heading north; 90% of the features relating to course marking and SCORE maps are useless to me but if you allow for various map overlays such as USGS and the various Google & BING sat overlays that would be good.
In the mean time I am finding that on the Samsung Galaxy this app works rather well: http://www.viewranger.com/en-us.
One thing that I don't like is that I can not download to a chip on the PC (25x faster then a smart anything) and then load to the device.

Dust
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

Dust wrote:I am finding that on the Samsung Galaxy this app works rather well: http://www.viewranger.com/en-us.
One thing that I don't like is that I can not download to a chip on the PC (25x faster then a smart anything) and then load to the device.

Dust

Looks like a good app, checking it out now. Have you found a way to download satellite maps?
Dust

Post by Dust »

Travisfab wrote:
Dust wrote:I am finding that on the Samsung Galaxy this app works rather well: http://www.viewranger.com/en-us.

Dust

Looks like a good app, checking it out now. Have you found a way to download satellite maps?
No, I haven't but got my needs the USGS maps have been all I needed so I haven't really tried.

Dust
Dust

Post by Dust »

Dust wrote:
Travisfab wrote:

Dust

No, I haven't but got my needs the USGS maps have been all I needed so I haven't really tried.

Dust
CAN WE PLEASE HAVE EDIT BACK :lol: