Ham radio alternative to race radios

Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Ham radio alternative to race radios

Post by Broncodawg »

Long post, but good info I hope.

Just bought a Yaesu FT-2900R radio and thought I'd throw it out there for anyone looking to get into 2 meter ham radio who may also want to operate in the business/racing band. 200 freq memory, rugged construction and 75 watts of power make this a nice radio especially for $160.

The 2 meter band is the most commonly used in mobile applications (offroading) and it is also conveniently right below the 134-174 mhz business/racing band. That's why with an easy soldering mod, (see attached) this radio can fully function in the 134-174 mhz band. Without the mod, you can only listen in the business band. Around 151 mhz is where you find most racing freqs. The beauty of these 2 meter radios is after modifying them, you can manually tune to any freq. in both 2 meter ham and the business/racing band. Most race radios have to be preprogrammed. No radios are sold that can operate both 2 meter ham and business band, which is why the mod is required. Be aware, this is illegal, but by using your head and not abusing the radio, there's not going to be a problem and many people are doing this.

http://www.hamradio.com/ is where I ordered it from. Large outfit with great service. Radio and extras below was $245 and free shipping. Call one of their stores on the website for fast easier ordering.

I ordered a MFJ 1728B mag mount 5/8 wave antenna. Racing crowd will want to tune the antenna to 151 mhz on an SWR meter for best performance. I also ordered a small ring bound durable manual for the radio and a small speaker. I like having enough wire on the speaker to put it out on the roof of my truck when I'm parked at the races.

Can be daunting trying to figure out what the hell to order for folks new to radios, so hope this helps someone who's wanted to get into Ham radio. These radios make CBs seem like two cans on a string by comparison.

Here's some additional description of the soldering mod attached above that you'll need to do for race freqs. The arrow on the third picture is hard to see, but the mod site is on the backside of the front faceplate when laid down to view. The zoomed in picture in the attachment shows the spot were desoldering is needed. Read the text above and below the pics.

There is a small row of black soldered connectors between two black square objects. Three of them have solder , but only one of them has a solder jumper completed. The other two have small gaps between the solder. "Desolder" the one that has complete solder so that it no longer is connected, like the other two. If above your ability, any electronics person could do it with the info provided here.

Ham license test is easy to study for and many are doing it and getting away from CB, so consider getting yours.

Hope to hear you on the radio,

Greg Weirick "Broncodawg"
KI6CYW
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Ham radio alternative to race radios

Post by SteveG »

Good info, Greg. I've been wanting to get a HAM radio license or a while now. I have an Icom V8000 and figured why not get the license too. I'd like to get a small hand-held radio as well someday.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Greg, is it in a persons best interest to have a Ham operators license when operating one of these units?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

As I understand it you're OK to transmit on a business/racing band. Of course this is assuming that the team or business operating on the band is authorized to do so. FYI: We're not authorized to transmit on the "Weatherman" frequency. Transmitting on HAM radio frequencies does require a license.

I'd like to get the license and familiarize myself with the whole HAM thing and get to know my radio more. I also think it would be a good idea to have the knowledge in case of an emergency.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Technically not legal to transmit on business/racing band, but not enforced at all.
Do be careful using race freqs in the city, especially if you hear traffic on it, because businesses own their freq and can complain to FCC if you abuse their freq.

Not a bad idea getting a ham license, but you'd have to really be a doofus to get caught by the FCC. Some hardcore hams might not respond back if you aren't using a a call sign.

Can't attach the transmit modification doc. for the radio I bought, so if you want it PM me and will send to you.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Broncodawg wrote:Can't attach the transmit modification doc. for the radio I bought, so if you want it PM me and will send to you.
What type of file is it?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Adobe. Copy/pasted it into word and word doc won't copy/ paste to here either?
PMed you my e mail addy. Reply back and I'll send it to you in an e mail.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

so glad you started this thread!
what do you think of this radio? http://www.rigpix.com/alinco/dr605t.htm
i can get a nice deal on it, and do you know if it could be modified?
i am going to be talking with a ham guy soon ,when we get together and discuss communications for our CODRA race up here.
the main reason i want to get another radio is so i can go from their freqs and relay to ours.
so when i do meet up with him and his crew i am going get all the info i need to figure out how to go about becoming a ham .
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Yaesu FT-2900R Ext Trans Mod (provided by Broncodawg):

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8 ... Yjc1&hl=en
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Baja, The radio you're looking at is multi-band and looks like it already transmits in 134-174 range, so you are good to go. Make sure with your ham guy, but the page you posted shows it.

Thanks, Steve. Googled it, eh. So much to learn, so little time.
bajascott
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i will thanks, it is not a done deal yet but i will find out tomorrow when i go the shop that has this unit for sale,the guy there says he'll give ma deal on it.
i am, going to try and see if he'll let me work part time for him,he is like 60 and still climbs towers and stuff....haha it would be cool to learn about radio stuff from him.
the guys i am meeting with for the race thing are very cool, volunteering to do relay,and some communications for the paisley 400 race in june.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I uploaded it to the board email account and made it "public" so anyone can view it.

see this thread: http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 27&start=0
Sho nuff,
SteveG
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

i need to find a guy or a shop to do some repairs to my other icom 2100.
i blew the finals out on it. i heard it can be fixed,but i dont want to send it to icom and have them "de-modify" it.
broncodawg, you know anyone?since you are a fnacy schmancy ham and all? :)
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Pretty new to Ham so haven't got the Fancy schmancy workin' yet, but wouldn't redoing the mod be pretty easy after sending it back to Icom?
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

talked to icom yesterday, 85$hr 1 hr minimum,plus shipping both directions plus parts................
its gonna be a paper wieght like it has been.
i will just use what i got,and save up to buy new one for a second radio.
i picked this up yesterday pff craigslist with extras http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/vx170.htm
i think between what i have, and the local ham club in lakeview,or we'll have the race covered come June 26th....
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
drweir
Bronco Info: 1994 FSB EB 5.8

Post by drweir »

Very Nicely done and explained, also, as a suggestion, a NMO fender lip mount with a decent 2 meter is suggestion.
KI6LNA
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I sometimes go thru the threads I missed due to travel away from my computer. So here is a resurected thread.
Yes I use a Kenwood Ham radio modified for several bands
I love it becaues its so user friendly. Not a pain like my Icom F121 which is very hard to find optional freqs.
Anyway I have all my radios programmed for the same freqs which makes it good.
The Kenwood is a TM-G 707A dual bander. Designed 6m, 2m, uhf70cm, modified for Commercial, family, & marine. Now days there has to be an even better Ham radio as this one is now about 8 years old.

I use the Icom with a tall antenna for race com and use the Kenwood for local use and for monitoring the chase/pit channels.
PaulW