SPOT Global Satellite Phone

robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

SPOT Global Satellite Phone

Post by robertcrav »

Just informational...
http://blogs.4wdandsportutility.com/679 ... z2UEZxoE44

Portable, easy-to-use and affordable, the new SPOT Global Phone keeps users connected to family, friends and emergency services when their adventures take them off the grid.

SPOT LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc. and leader in satellite messaging and emergency notification technologies, announces the new SPOT Global Phone, a portable, easy-to-use and data-enabled satellite phone. Hunters, hikers, boaters, off-road travelers and all outdoor enthusiasts will find that SPOT Global Phone provides industry-leading, crystal clear voice quality where cell service won’t work.

“Outdoor recreationists have come to appreciate SPOT as a brand that keeps them safe as they explore new ways of getting off the grid,” said Jay Monroe, Chief Executive Officer, Globalstar. “As the first satellite phone available in major retail outlets such as West Marine, REI and Cabela’s, SPOT Global Phone will not only provide a lifeline during these adventures, but an opportunity to connect with impeccably clear voice quality on a satellite network that is light years ahead of the competition.”

SPOT Global Phone Features
• Compact size: 5.3"H x 2.2" W x 1.5"D
• Lightweight: 7 ounces
• Satellite-based technology
• Superior voice clarity with no noticeable delay or echo
• Backlit color display optimized for outdoor daytime viewing
• Long-life battery: 4 hours talk time, 36 hours standby
• Data capable enabling email and file transfers
• Quick online activation, ten-digit dialing with local phone numbers
• Ergonomic design
• Lighted keypad
• 911 emergency service access

SPOT Global Phone ensures users can connect with family, friends and businesses even when their adventures take them out of cell coverage. With patented Qualcomm-based CDMA technology providing crystal-clear voice quality from anywhere within the service footprint, SPOT Global Phone users experience superior performance. Critical communications happen in an instant, with no noticeable time delays on a network that transmits even a whisper. With the availability of Express Data on most data plans, guaranteed data speeds of 9.6Kbps provide up to four times the data speed of most other mobile satellite data services and enable emails, file transfers, and basic services to occur at high-speed.

Pricing and Availability:

The SPOT Global Phone is the only satellite phone to be offered in major retail outlets and is also available online and through a dealer network, expanding the reach of the mobile satellite service (MSS) market beyond oil fields and commercial fishing. The SPOT Global Phone retails at $499 plus a required subscription service that provides industry-leading voice quality starting at $24.99 monthly or as low as 25 cents per minute. For more information on where to buy the SPOT Global Phone and other SPOT products and service offerings, visit http://www.FindMeSPOT.com or call 866-651-SPOT.

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: SPOT Global Satellite Phone

Post by cs_drums »

robertcrav wrote: The SPOT Global Phone retails at $499 plus a required subscription service that provides industry-leading voice quality starting at $24.99 monthly or as low as 25 cents per minute.
Am i reading this correct that you can choose between a plan or just pay $.25 as you use it?
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

No, it looks like if you opt for their most robust plan it works out to $0.25 minute
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

I thought it was cool and pertinent to a lot of the guys on the board that head south several times a year...or head out into God's country where there are no cell towers, and nothing to bounce a signal off of...

the other option is renting...
https://www.satellitephonestore.com/rent/
crisis88
Bronco Info: 94 fsb stock

Post by crisis88 »

Sat phones are pretty awesome. My dad purchased a couple a few years back and they are pretty convenient. He travels to Ecuador a few times a year to visit his farm. And it's in the sticks.

Pretty cool

Good topic!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

This is a cool option to, works through your iphone:
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116
crisis88
Bronco Info: 94 fsb stock

Post by crisis88 »

tcm glx wrote:This is a cool option to, works through your iphone:
Ya. That's actually pretty cool.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Maybe someone with the traditional Sat phone can chime in and give us the cost numbers for their plan and the cost of their device.
Thanks, Paul
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

I have an older Iridium that I bought several years ago for about $1200. You can still find these same models for probably $400 or less. Monthly plan I have is about $55 per month for 10 minutes that does roll over to a maximum of 120 minutes. Seems to be some other options out there now, including some pay for blocks of minutes plans. I just learned that mine actually has a sim card. Always lots of fine print and details to wade through. We also end up renting up to 3 more for races, going with a high per minute rate. A feature that we use with the Iridium phones are free incoming text messages sent from someone with an internet signal. Works well for keeping the crew updated. Otherwise we just keep them around for emergency use to keep the cost down. Globalstar used to have them also but they seemed to have a bad reputation for connectivity. I have been in places that were so tight (trees and mountains) you could not get a satellite signal, but Baja is never a problem. The other thing that adds cost are the accessories. The one I have came with two chargers, AC and DC, external antennae and a Pelican case. Rental plans usually offer insurance at an extra cost, however it typically only covers repair for damage. If it gets stolen or lost, you still pay. Glad to see that SPOT is taking a shot at the market, and maybe it will create some competition and bring the price down a little.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

My buddy Craig rented one the last tri to Baja. No signal almost anywhere we went, tried to make a call in Ensenada, no dice.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Can anyone confirm that the SPOT sat phone uses the GlobalStar sat network and not the Irridium sats?

My Globalstar hardly ever works. Gave up and pulled the plug on service.

I'll occasionally rent an Irridium if I'm racing.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Spot is a division of Globalstar
They use simplex for spot trackers and Messenger that we commonly use
http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/spot/s ... lstar.html

The sat phone uses the duplex transponders
This site shows coverage for simplex and duplex/voice
http://globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=101&sidenav=85
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

tcm glx wrote:This is a cool option to, works through your iphone:

Way cool, but horrible reviews, any personal experience?
cypher
Bronco Info: 1994 Ford Bronco w/ Southwest Performance suspension

Post by cypher »

A friend of mine bought the spot phone and it does not work well in baja. He cancelled his service and returned the phone. If you need a sat phone in baja look into another service provider.