Over the head v.s. behind the head

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Over the head v.s. behind the head

Post by cs_drums »

Im going to be investing in headsets soonish and looking for some opinions on preferrence? Pros and cons of each? Thanks guys
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Over the head v.s. behind the head

Post by philofab »

cs_drums wrote:Im going to be investing in headsets soonish and looking for some opinions on preferrence? Pros and cons of each? Thanks guys
Behind the head allows me to keep a sweet flat bill hat on.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

philofab wrote:
cs_drums wrote:Im going to be investing in headsets soonish and looking for some opinions on preferrence? Pros and cons of each? Thanks guys
Behind the head allows me to keep a sweet flat bill hat on.
Sold!
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Judge it off of compfort. I wore a com set up that squeezed my head so tight it gave me a head ache while stuck in a car for a few thousand miles. It sucked. Compfort is king. Talk to the folks at PCI I bet they'll let you try a bunch on before buying.
87SLbronco
Bronco Info: 1987 Bronco Custom, 5.0 swap, 4spd, pretty much stock for now.

Post by 87SLbronco »

Seabass wrote:Judge it off of comfort. I wore a com set up that squeezed my head so tight it gave me a head ache while stuck in a car for a few thousand miles. It sucked. Comfort is king. Talk to the folks at PCI I bet they'll let you try a bunch on before buying.
I agree with the comfort 100%

I haven't had to wear a lot of headsets but I wear baseball caps like my life depended on it and I have a couple that I've bought but don't wear because of the same issue about them squeezing my head to the point they give me headaches.
"Stroke it, blow it, and spray it. It will be a short ride, but it sure would be a blast."
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

Cheap ones will start to hurt your ears quick!
only1mikey
Bronco Info: 84 Bronco

Post by only1mikey »

I've had bad experience with behind the head ones this far, they squeeze your head too much and give you a headache like mentioned. Try them on before you buy.

Mike
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Most radio places can adjust the tension on the ears so if your headset is squeezing too tightly, then you should adjust them for comfort. The biggest issue I've seen between the two, BTH can be annoying if you have a head rest... the tension band keeps banging into the head rest. The OTH band can give you hotspots on the top of your head if it's not adjusted properly or you have a knot-head (like mine). I prefer the OTH band for overall comfort (my preference) and to avoid the interference with the head rest with the BTH models.

The bottom line, get a good quality headset, get them adjusted for tension and comfort and get good pads (both ear and top band). The difference between the OTH and BTH models really should fit your needs and comfort... the attenuation, speaker and microphones are all the same so they will function identically.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

You can adjust the tension yourself. Just grab the F-ers and pull them apart till they have the right tension. The cloth covers for the ear cups make wearing them all day much more enjoyable.
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

I ended up scoring a deal for a intercom set up and it comes with 2 BTH so I will see how I like them before I buy 2 more.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Brian,

Cool score! Be interested in hearing how you like your BTH setup.

So, what did you get? What's the intercom, features, model, make? What headsets did you get?
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

I got a used rugged package off ebay with the following-

RRP-600 Intercom
Vertex VX-2200 50w Radio
2- H43 Rubberized BTH headsets

All the wiring included just need an antenna
Got it @ $450 shipped!
The Headsets have the rubber flex mic which suposedly doesnt move around as much. I was looking forward to getting the intercom interface for my Maratrac but now i think i am gonna run the 50w for the intercom and use the 110w to monitor other channels. If you want to try the BTH let me know, I wouldnt mind trying the OTH before buying another 2.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

cs_drums wrote:I got a used rugged package off ebay with the following-

RRP-600 Intercom
Vertex VX-2200 50w Radio
2- H43 Rubberized BTH headsets

All the wiring included just need an antenna
Got it @ $450 shipped!
The Headsets have the rubber flex mic which suposedly doesnt move around as much. I was looking forward to getting the intercom interface for my Maratrac but now i think i am gonna run the 50w for the intercom and use the 110w to monitor other channels. If you want to try the BTH let me know, I wouldnt mind trying the OTH before buying another 2.
Hey Brian, Wow... smok'n deal... very nice. My only observation is that you're using your lower powered radio for the tx side of the system and the super high-powered unit for monitor... You'd be much better the other way around... but, of course there's the cost associated, so that makes a ton of sense and I get it! 8-)