110W Motorola Race Radios to an intercom

funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Re: 110W Motorola Race Radios to an intercom

Post by funinthesun95 »

BajaF250 wrote:
funinthesun95 wrote:BAWHAAAA... I don't have a headset so I'll have to drive around with my helmet on to test it... won't that be chic!

FYI... people are going to think Baja F250 is a street legal race truck....just saying

I have two headsets sitting here if you want to use them? I can bring them to Darin let me know....If that will make things easier as you test.
Hey Willie... I might just take you up on the loan... that'll make things a lot easier. I'll send you a pm to see if I can hook up to pick them up...

Really, a pukey green, old man/grandpa truck? Ha! :shock: :lol:[/quote]

You got it.... I will be around the rest of the week and weekend....I pm'ed you my cell number
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

I have a questions for those of you who would like an intercom setup. First an explanation and background prior to the question. The way the microphone works is that it has to hang up into a special hangup box (it's a Motorola part and looks like a regular hangup clip with just a little added depth). There is a microswitch inside that tells the head that it's hung up. So, the radio knows to use the helmet/headset mic when the hand mic is hung up. And when you unclip the hand mic, the radio will turn off the helmet/headset mic and default to the hand mic.

Now the issue. Those little hang up boxes are tough to find, at least at this juncture, we haven't found a good reliable source. So, let me pose a question. Would you mind using a dash switch that you'd have to manually throw in order to use the hand mic? Or, is everyone pretty much along the lines of using the Motorola hang up box? This question may be moot if we can't source the OEM Motorola box, but it also may be at a cost... anything Motorola is pretty pricey if we need to go directly to the factory. So, will you be willing to compromise using a manual switch?

The other option is for us to design a different type of automatic micro-switch, but I'm not too sure it'll be with the time invested.

Just rambling here, but I'd like to here your thoughts on this.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I'm fine with a switch
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

Switch..
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

the motorola hang up sounds cool, but if cost or availability is an issue I'm perfectly fine with a switch.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Switch is fine
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

do what is cost effective....

dash switch
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Switch
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Ok, got it... but I'm still trying to track down the real McCoy... cause Steve's right, it's pretty cool. I'm actually trying to source them directly through Motorola... I'm just concerned that they'll cost a fortune. I should know by early next week if they are still available and how much they'll cost.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Intercom to Maratrac wiring harness update...

Didn't get the wiring harness finished... ran into a brief parts shortage. I should be able to correct the parts shortage this week and continue with the build.

I did get the intercom mounted and powered in the truck. It's in a temp position (for many reasons)... so I'll I really need at the moment is to get an additional stash of deutsch #20 pins and I should be able to finish. Then the testing begins.

Willie has most graciously offered to lend me his headsets to conduct the testing... and, I ran out of time to run out and pick them up (with all the other crap going on). I hope to stop by today to pick them up from him... Willie, thanks so much for your patience... and thanks for the offer... ! This is going to be a big help!
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Ok, I'm with everyone... the dash switch is really a small consolation for what we get... but I'm still working the hang up box. I hope to hear aboud the Motorola souce sometime this week.
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

BajaF250 wrote:Intercom to Maratrac wiring harness update...

Didn't get the wiring harness finished... ran into a brief parts shortage. I should be able to correct the parts shortage this week and continue with the build.

I did get the intercom mounted and powered in the truck. It's in a temp position (for many reasons)... so I'll I really need at the moment is to get an additional stash of deutsch #20 pins and I should be able to finish. Then the testing begins.

Willie has most graciously offered to lend me his headsets to conduct the testing... and, I ran out of time to run out and pick them up (with all the other crap going on). I hope to stop by today to pick them up from him... Willie, thanks so much for your patience... and thanks for the offer... ! This is going to be a big help!

Tom Thank you..... This set up is going to change how I feel about headsets when chasing, watching races and hanging out on the trail….etc
This is the least I can do….. oh ya and buy one as well....hah
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

I guess it's time for an update... but first a BIG thanks to Willie for lending me his headsets while I wait for mine to come in. Willie, thanks so much for taking the time to meet with me and let me borrow your BRAND NEW headsets! They have been a HUGE help.

Ok, now for the latest on the Motorola Maratrac intercom integration saga. (Just to let you know, not only am I slow to get my intercom installed and tested, but we're right in the middle of a kitchen and bath home remodel... been keeping me just a tad busy!)

So, I finally got the dash torn apart and determined a suitable "temporary" mounting spot for the new intercom. I purchased a Racer-X AR550 intercom with plugs for 4 positions, expandable up to 8. It has the input for an mp3 player (ipod) and cell phone. The front controls are squelch, volume and on/off. It has a power indicator light on the front as well as cell/phone and music input 3½mm input jacks (it also has a molex plug in the rear for all of your I/O needs, phone, ipod, gopro, etc). I chose that particular model specifically for the squelch/VOX feature. The race models only have constant "on" settings for the intercom and I wanted to use the VOX feature.

I finished building the interface cable (looks like an octopus) this last week (ran into some manufacturing problems, but it's expected and is part of the development process). I was able to get some time to install it this weekend. The install is merely temporary in nature as I have to redesign the dash and move the components around for maximum utilization (I haven’t gotten that far quite yet though). I also wanted to get it in to check cable lengths etc and it looks like I’ll have to shorten up some of the cords.

But, the good news is that it works GREAT. Everything works as designed. The radio is nice and clear, the intercom works fantastic and they operate independently. So, you have your basic radio operation without the headset and intercom and the intercom works without the radio, and when both are turned on… they work great together! The only thing I need to adjust is to bring in direct power from the battery to power the intercom unit. But, that’s pure install and it’s just running clean power.

Now, I’m going to run the intercom for a while to see if I can uncover any issues so I can address any potential issues. My headsets should be in by Tue and I’ll get Willie’s sets back soon!

Just a couple of pics to feed the monster! :D
Attachments
THW_6722.JPG
THW_6722.JPG (149.6 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
THW_6723.JPG
THW_6723.JPG (118.65 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
THW_6724.JPG
THW_6724.JPG (142.27 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
THW_6726.JPG
THW_6726.JPG (108.02 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Ok folks... if you would like additional detail or would like to order the Maratrac intercom cable, I'd most highly recommend you send an email to Darin and he can set you up. I won't speak for him, but if you want an entire system he'll do that too. The best way to get in touch with him is to send him an email. If you don't have his email, please feel free to PM me and I'll get his address back to you as soon as I can (the caveat is I don't have access for most of the day, so you'll have to have just a little patience).

I will say he can't make them over night cause he's backorders on a few of the parts, but I'd highly encourage you to get with him as soon as you're comfortable so he has an idea of how many folks would like to order. And, I'm pretty sure we may have worked out the issue with the Motorola hang up box vs switch... there may be a way to wire it without either or both so either way, you should not have to deal with a manual switch.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Wow Tom great to hear I have been following this I need to get with Darrin as I would really like to get one of these harnesses. Im in no rush...any idea on price point?
WCCStrokinItRacing
Bronco Info: Buying a 93 bronco and doing a full build

Post by WCCStrokinItRacing »

BajaF250 wrote:Ok folks... if you would like additional detail or would like to order the Maratrac intercom cable, I'd most highly recommend you send an email to Darin and he can set you up. I won't speak for him, but if you want an entire system he'll do that too. The best way to get in touch with him is to send him an email. If you don't have his email, please feel free to PM me and I'll get his address back to you as soon as I can (the caveat is I don't have access for most of the day, so you'll have to have just a little patience).

I will say he can't make them over night cause he's backorders on a few of the parts, but I'd highly encourage you to get with him as soon as you're comfortable so he has an idea of how many folks would like to order. And, I'm pretty sure we may have worked out the issue with the Motorola hang up box vs switch... there may be a way to wire it without either or both so either way, you should not have to deal with a manual switch.
Tom,
I am interested in the adaptor you guys have created. I am looking to get one of the 110W Motorola radio and want to set it up with the headsets also. Can you get back to me when yo can please? Thank you! My name is Matt
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Matt, I think you'll be very pleased with the overall setup once installed. I've been using my Maratrac for many years now and love the radio and with the addition of the intercom, makes it functionally perfect for my uses...