110W Motorola Race Radios to an intercom

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: 110W Motorola Race Radios to an intercom

Post by tcm glx »

That's awesome Tom!! Guess I have to call up Darin and chat, we are gonna need plenty of these.
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

tcm glx wrote:That's awesome Tom!! Guess I have to call up Darin and chat, we are gonna need plenty of these.
Give us a little time to work out the test model to make sure we have it nailed... We still have to source parts and build the actual working harness.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Great News.....
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

BajaF250 wrote:
tcm glx wrote:That's awesome Tom!! Guess I have to call up Darin and chat, we are gonna need plenty of these.
Give us a little time to work out the test model to make sure we have it nailed... We still have to source parts and build the actual working harness.
Just a quick update... I ordered my intercom from Racer X the other day, should be in sometime this week. We picked up the two different styles of wire we need and then picked up some connectors we'll need to make the harness... So, I should have all of the parts, I hope, to actually make the entire installable (new word?) system by the end of the week (or this weekend). Soooo, if I get he chance this weekend... I'll see if I can slap it together and install it into the truck for some serious testing. I'm getting the 550 intercom so it's compatible with a GoPro and/or an ipod.

BAWHAAAA... I don't have a headset so I'll have to drive around with my helmet on to test it... won't that be chic!
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Just an informal poll... if this system works out as well as we hope, how many folks want an intercom with their Motorola Maratracs?
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Any rough idea on cost ?
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

And is this expandable to 4/5 headsets?
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

robertcrav wrote:Any rough idea on cost ?
Don't know... you're gonna have to talk to Darin... it's his baby.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

robertcrav wrote:And is this expandable to 4/5 headsets?
The direct answer is yes, but it's dependent upon which intercom you get... as an example if you get the AVCOM AR550 it's expandable up to 8 stations.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

The intercom system will work exactly as any intercom does... what Darin has done is to analyze the Maratrac control head input/output process and ascertained how to integrate the intercom to the radio...

The normal setup on most radios is to use the speaker and mic I/O for the intercom and therefore you don't have the hand mic and the external speaker won't work. I wanted the external speaker and hand mic available without too much pain. Darin also figured out how to keep the external speaker and hand mic... thus we have a WINNER! The radio patch cable will also incorporate connectors for the external speaker... nice! This is a great feature cause for our particular use, it's nice to have the external speaker working when you stop, jump out... you won't have to monitor a headset or additional radio so you won't miss any calls or miss any of the radio action.

My 2¢...
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

All of the above sounds awesome. Now is he able to do adapter cables for different brands of intercoms or just the RacerX one?

Reason I'm asking is I've already got a rugger intercom and 4 headsets here that I've been saving for the 4 seater build. I'm wondering if I sell it & buy another to work with the maratrac when the time comes, or if I continue to hang onto it & buy a cable from Darrin.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Steve,
Yes, the radio patch cable should work with any intercom... we built it off the AVCOM unit, but they'll work with PCI, RACER-X, HD headsets, etc... the intercoms are all based off the AVCOM unit... as a matter of face, I believe most of them are all built exactly the same with different name plates on the front (I'm sure there are different manufacturing plants, but they're all the same internal design). So, once you have the patch cord, you can use whatever intercom you wish (except for Bob Hines old intercom, he has some of the internals switched around). Darin is going to put together a "kit" to sell as a complete unit so you'll have to do very little shopping around.
The key with the interface here is matching the Maratrac I/O to the intercom I/O through the intercom TA5FL connectors on the back of the intercom... then patching it to the Maratrac input connector on the back of the control head (plus the external speaker). Then the mic gains have to be matched to the intercom and headset requirements.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Darn it... no correct... hate that... "...as a matter of face..." really is "...as a matter of fact..." Sorry!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Good to hear!

And I'm glad you were pushing for the keeping of the mic & external speaker function. Both are very good things to keep for what most of us do with these things!
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

Tom, you know I'm good for one kit.
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

Tom,

I would like one.
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

BAWHAAAA... I don't have a headset so I'll have to drive around with my helmet on to test it... won't that be chic![/quote]

FYI... people are going to think Baja F250 is a street legal race truck....just saying

I have two headsets sitting here if you want to use them? I can bring them to Darin let me know....If that will make things easier as you test.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Put me on the list. I have been waiting for this!!!!
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Good to hear!

And I'm glad you were pushing for the keeping of the mic & external speaker function. Both are very good things to keep for what most of us do with these things!
Yeah, I agree... it's almost a non starter for me... I really wanted to have the speaker live and the mic available... too many times I've seen the need and it's just not there.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

funinthesun95 wrote:BAWHAAAA... I don't have a headset so I'll have to drive around with my helmet on to test it... won't that be chic!

FYI... people are going to think Baja F250 is a street legal race truck....just saying

I have two headsets sitting here if you want to use them? I can bring them to Darin let me know....If that will make things easier as you test.[/quote]

Hey Willie... I might just take you up on the loan... that'll make things a lot easier. I'll send you a pm to see if I can hook up to pick them up...

Really, a pukey green, old man/grandpa truck? Ha! :shock: :lol: