Lowrance HDS-5m

funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Lowrance HDS-5m

Post by funinthesun95 »

Ok boys so HDS baja is no more and PCI sells the HDS-5m now and says it the same unit so.... what’s the word on running this unit with its internal antenna on the dash? Anyone out there run it that way...internal work fine?..... Do you have to get the LCS-4000 antenna or can you use a LSC-3000 or LCS-2000 anyone know? or even LGC-16W antenna dont think this has the correct plug tho

The LSC-4000 is it own GPS unit that is why it is 200 buck speeds up info so they say…..like 5 x faster

Thanks
Big Willie
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Re: Lowrance HDS-5m

Post by Andy Jones »

We ran one in our 1973 hornet at norra and the mint with no antenna. Worked great as far as we could tell..
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

I too am looking to pick up one of these units. I can't afford $800+ and I can't deal with the tiny XOG, so this is where I'm at. Aside from the obvious screen size, are there any significant shortcomings of this unit? I assume the HDS-5m Gen2 is what I should be look it...

Here's what I'm looking to buy: http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-Plotter- ... ds-5m+gen2

Any comments?
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

ok talk with PCI found out some simple facts

HDS-5m is because Lowrance did away with the auto division so it is the same unit as the HDS-baja

The internal antenna works fine as long as it is mounted in the correct place…..lgc 4000 antenna speeds things up 5x but is 190 bucks it is its own gps unit I guess is how it was explained to me.

They also told me that the 5-elite is a little cheaper but with the new updates does well and comes with an external antenna ….onlything this the person did not like about it was the exit feature was funky
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

On Amazon they're within $20 of each other, so price isn't really a factor. From what they told you it sounds like the new version has a better interface but only an internal antenna. Inversely, the old version comes with an external antenna (which is optimal) yet comes with a less desirable interface. So, which one have you decided on?
funinthesun95 wrote:ok talk with PCI found out some simple facts

HDS-5m is because Lowrance did away with the auto division so it is the same unit as the HDS-baja

The internal antenna works fine as long as it is mounted in the correct place…..lgc 4000 antenna speeds things up 5x but is 190 bucks it is its own gps unit I guess is how it was explained to me.

They also told me that the 5-elite is a little cheaper but with the new updates does well and comes with an external antenna ….onlything this the person did not like about it was the exit feature was funky
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

HDS-5m for me ......

1. Like the setup and the interface better….options buttons graphics....etc
2. I have made the decision that if I don’t like the performance I will get the antenna and it will be 5x faster
3 don't plan on buying one every year so.....
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

"HDS 5M Gen 2" are now being sold at discounts. Google will find the lowest cost.
New SW gives 5Hz with either antenna. I am going to try the internal one on the Jeep since it has an all glass roof. For a Bronco the steel roof half of the sky will be blocked so an external one would be best. Other good news is the Point-1 antenna has a low price compared to previous ant. Since I did not buy one I am not sure if the 5m is compatible. Check before buying.
The point-1 ant has a short cable to frustrate the install.

I like my first look after playing with it. Lots of setup required for correct units and other features we all need. Took a while to get it like my old 7200C due to all new menus and new nomenclature. I even had to read the manual - Ha. For sure I am happy that it has buttons like the Global map series. I guess Lowrance got the message as thy no longer offer a touch screen in the HDS lineup.
Bummer is only 1 SD slot.
PCI has a good cheat sheet , but the Lowrance manual is way better than previous manuals.

So, if you can use a small screen the 5m is a good choice. For the big Bronco a specific mounting place is needed to get it close to the driver to allow reading the print. Having said that the print and screen are much better than the previous models. I would suggest investigating a RAM mount to locate the thing on the windshield in front or to the side of the windshield close to the drivers eyes. RAM also has a floor mount pedestal lots of guys are using. Puts the GPS nice and close.
PW
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

If anyone's looking for a ram mount like Paul suggests - I've got one sitting here I've been too lazy to throw on ebay.
Lots of other misc. Lowrance stuff typical to mounting & using on boats too...
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Just to bump this a little and to confirm some info, I found out while picking the brains of the guys at West Marine....

the new Gen 2 units have internal antennas that operate at 1Hz refreshing 1 time per second, the LGC-4000 operates at 5Hz refreshing 5 times per second...
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Software- ... /HDS-Gen2/

Software Update Details

HDS Gen2 2.1 includes the following improvements:
Enhanced Point-1 performance- Heading data received from heading sensors, such as the Point-1, now rotates the vessel icon much smoother and faster
Improved GoFree networking- Ethernet networks with GoFree WIFI-1 modules are now more stable and reliable

The 2.1.45.144 also includes all features of the previously released 2.0-45.135 software update

HDS Gen2 2.0 included the following improvements:
Support for GoFree™ wireless connectivity through a WIFI-1 module. Allows screen mirroring of the Gen2 display on compatible tablets, mobile phones and computers. Requires Lowrance GoFree WIFI-1 module and viewer app available on the Apple AppStore or Google Play Store.
Insight Genesis Compatibility for creating and viewing personal high-definition bathymetric contour maps from sonar log recordings you made yourself. Insight Genesis mapping can now be created and viewed on an HDS Gen2 chartplotter.
Chart-sharing allows charts on memory cards to be shared across the Ethernet network. Insert any compatible Insight, Navionics® or Jeppesen® chart into one unit and view on any other networked HDS Gen2 display.
Depth contour shading and shallow water highlight - Use these new features with Navionics Charts to quickly identify fishing areas of interest or to highlight shallow water areas requiring extra caution.
5Hz internal antenna update now updates at a 5Hz update rate providing better trail accuracy and smoother chart rotation.
StructureMap™ HD capability enables users to convert recorded StructureScan® HD sonar logs into stunning high-definition underwater maps of lakes, rivers or the seafloor.

Additional Version 2.0 Enhancements include:
Support for the new Lowrance Point-1 10Hz external GPS antenna
Dual Chart capability
StructureScan auto-contrast
New panel configurations on HDS-8 and -10 displays
Added screen-capture shortcut
New PDF reader, and more
- See more at: http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Software- ... KbwTz.dpuf
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

Point 1 Antenna Info

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... en-us.aspx

Point-1 Baja
Offroad Precision GPS/Glonass Receiver with Electronic Compass
Available April 2013
The Lowrance Point-1 Baja is the ideal ruggedized position and heading device for off-road racing and trail navigation. With an update rate of ten times per second (10 Hz) and an integrated electronic compass, the Point-1 Baja provides efficient, accurate location and heading information regardless of the speed of travel.
Point-1 Baja is also designed to handle the rigors of off-road racing and extreme weather and will withstand dust, water, shock and vibration.
Key Features
Impervious to the toughest outdoor/off-road conditions including dust, water, shock, and vibration
Highly accurate position and heading sensor with NMEA 2000® networking
Position and course is updated 10 times/second (10 Hz) for smooth and accurate location and trail marking
Integrated electronic compass provides 10Hz heading for chart stabilization, plus accurate course over ground even at low speeds
Supports GPS and Glonass, Galileo-capable with future software update
Supports SBAS including WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS
- See more at: http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... 2cbPJ.dpuf
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

good video that talks about the software updates as well as the Point 1 antenna

PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Some pics of the unit mounted on top of teh Jeep dash. Too big for me.
Anyway I put in the Navteq SD card I got from ORW and found it shows plenty of roads even below the county road level.
The Murdock card is for Baja only and it shows a huge amount of detail including the kilometer for the main highways. Look for the light circles. When you hover the cursor over the dot the number shows up. Or if you are driving it will pop up as you pass assuming you at the correct zoom level.
Hard to take pics without proper focus, but you can get the idea.
Attachments
SF.JPG
SF.JPG (85.42 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Jeep dash.JPG
Jeep dash.JPG (83.99 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Mx3 Mx5 detail Murdock.JPG
Mx3 Mx5 detail Murdock.JPG (81.82 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
Durango WUS card.JPG
Durango WUS card.JPG (78.46 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
PaulW