Lowrance XOG update & map load - problems

guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Lowrance XOG update & map load - problems

Post by guard »

I've got this shiny new tiny Lowrance XOG unit specifically for the impending baja trip. I went and bought a nice 16 gb SD card so I'd have plenty of room for maps. Of course, it only takes the old cards so I had to run back out and find that, mission accomplished. Now I'm back at the computer with my 2gb card that is now being recognized. I've made sure it's in the "unlocked" position but I'm continuing to fail software updates (currently using 1.6 driver software when 1.8 version is available). I don't have a separate card reader so I can't simply transfer files over to the blank card.

Errors occurred during the installation.
One or more errors occurred during the copying of files (files1) . Please refer to the install log for additional information.
One or more errors occurred during the copying of files (bean2) . Please refer to the install log for additional information.
One or more errors occurred during the copying of files (bean3) . Please refer to the install log for additional information.
java.io.IOException: Could not create directory G:\_uninst
ServiceException: (error code = -30017; message = "The system cannot find the path specified. (3)"; severity = 0)

I've attempted to download and use the stand-alone installer but I get the exact same errors. It doesn't seem to be able to "create the uninstaller" right at the start. It just sits at 0% for 20 seconds before switching over the the failure error. I've also downloaded the map file for the trip and tried to drag it over to the SD disk and it fails because the drive is locked. This shouldn't be that difficult... ideas?
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Re: Lowrance XOG update & map load - problems

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Michael,

First and foremost, I have no experiene with the XOG so I'm just shooting in the dark here. But, have you tried updating the software to the version 1.8.0?

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Leg ... re-Update/

Last ditch, we can try to load it in the morning when you get to the house. I should be able to just move the file over with an external reader.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Instructions as follows:

XOG Update Version 1.8.0Warning:

Do NOT use the memory card with your mapping data to load the software update. Please use a different memory card for software updates.

Please make sure the XOG is FULLY CHARGED before attempting to update the unit. It is harmful to the unit to shutdown during the update process.

SD 2.0 memory cards will not work with the XOG. This includes all SD memory cards over 4GB in size, most 4GB, and some 2GB memory cards.

Notes: You must use a blank SD/MMC memory card that is at least 128MB.

Mac OS X users may need to reapply the execute permissions to the stand-alone installer after it has finished downloading. To reapply the execute permissions, open a Terminal window, and type the following command (this assumes you downloaded the file to your desktop):
chmod +x desktop/XOG-full_180.command

Prerequisite: Java must be installed on your computer for the installers to operate. If you do not already have a Java JRE or JDK installed, please visit the Java website. 3

Installation Instructions
Insert a memory card without mapping data into your XOG.
Power on your XOG unit and wait for it to complete its startup, and then connect it to your computer with a USB cable.
Click on the "Install This Update From the Web" link below.
Wait for the Java web installer to download and run. Follow the Lowrance update installation instructions. During the installation process, you will be asked to select the drive associated with the XOG. When the installer finishes you will be prompted to click Finish to exit.
Stop/Eject the USB Mass Storage Device associated with the XOG. For Windows, you can do this by opening the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" icon. This icon is located on the Windows toolbar near the clock (typically the very lower right-hand corner of your screen), and appears as a green arrow over the top of a small gray box. Once this is opened, highlight the USB Mass Storage Device and click the "Stop" button. Then in the new window, highlight the "Lowrance XOG USB Device" and click the "OK" button. For Mac and Linux, simply dismount/eject the drive associated with the XOG.
Disconnect the USB cable from the computer and the XOG.
Turn your XOG unit off. Make sure to turn the unit completely off, and not just standby mode.
Turn your XOG unit back on. The software update will automatically install. The installation process could take a long time to finish - please do not press buttons or turn off the XOG during the installation process.
After the XOG update has finished, reconnect it to your computer via USB, and delete the update files from the XOG.
- Install This Update From the Web -
If your computer experiences problems with the web installer, try using a stand-alone installer. Note: Do not download this installer to your unit - save it to your computer and run the installer to load the necessary files to the unit.Simply choose the appropriate operating system below:
PC Win98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista | Mac OS X | Linux

How to see if your XOG is already using version 1.8.0 software:
Select the MENU icon on the display of your XOG.
Select "Options".
Select the third tab, "Page 3".
Select "Device Information".
The software version for your unit is located under the line that says "XOG".
If your version is the same version listed above, there is no need to download the software.
What changes are made in this update?
Support new chipset
Includes all features from previous updates, including:
Improved "GPS time to first fix" speed
Added waypoints for the sample satellite imagery and BLM data
Added Nautical to the Units of Measure page under Speed/Distance
Added a "Reverse" route button to the edit route page, replacing the autosort button in straight line
Safety mode disabled in Straight Line navigation mode
Added a delete button in the Picture Viewer for deleting the currently viewed picture
Modified Leap Year calculations
Modified backlighting during standby mode
Modified browse music page to include entire last row of icons
Modified waveform display in music player to be visible against black background
Modified support of "Skins" loaded from an SD card
Enables support with MapSelect.com
Modified address searching
System Requirements:

XOG update software will run on any Java-enabled machine running Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista, Mac OS X, or Linux.
guard

Post by guard »

BajaF250 wrote:Hey Michael,

First and foremost, I have no experiene with the XOG so I'm just shooting in the dark here. But, have you tried updating the software to the version 1.8.0?
Yes, I'm getting the error while attempting to update the software. That's exactly what I wanted to do first... I tried updating through the link and then through the stand-alone installer. It acts like my SD card is locked, but I've tried it both ways and neither works. I can't seem to be able to format the cards either (I got a 2 pack of SD cards), which I figured might clear up any problem...

I wasn't able to transfer the map file over either, but I wasn't sure if I needed a card reader to do that.
guard

Post by guard »

BajaF250 wrote: System Requirements:

XOG update software will run on any Java-enabled machine running Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista, Mac OS X, or Linux.
I wouldn't imagine it'd have problems with Windows 7 64-bit, I just figured at the time they posted the software it wasn't released yet. If it works with Vista I'd imagine W7 would have no issues.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I'm not a XOG user, or mobile GPS user for that fact, but looking at the errors you posted I see a mention of a JAVA error...have you tried making sure your JAVA version is up to date?

And the universal response to desktop support, please reboot :-)
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

guard wrote:
BajaF250 wrote: System Requirements:

- - - -
I wouldn't imagine it'd have problems with Windows 7 64-bit, I just figured at the time they posted the software it wasn't released yet. If it works with Vista I'd imagine W7 would have no issues.
=====
Micheal, are you good now? I use XOGs as well and have teh latest SW Downloade on my Win7 machine.
Paul