Handheld Radios.... what is everyone using!

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Handheld Radios.... what is everyone using!

Post by SteveG »

Rugged had a special on them, so they weren't twice the price but that's irrelevant. I wasn't posting to suggest a vendor only to note that these little radios kick ass. If anyone is even considering them (from any vendor), don't hesitate. They are worth the money!
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

If you are using the baofeng UV5R, I would suggest upgrading the antenna to something like a Diamond RH77CA or Nagoya NA771. I even went so far as to buy a 2m SmileyAntenna tuned on my crew's frequency. From my own audio tests there is definitely improvement over the stock rubber ducky. These cheap HTs with a crossbanding rig and you are golden...
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

We just spent the week using a handful of those blue units from Amazon and they worked FANTASTIC!!

We did upgrade and get the 15" whip replacement antenna... My Maratrac guy got them for me and they extended the range a good 20 percent. Worked awesome!!!!
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

Now if I can find some helmet kits for less than 4 times the cost of this radio I would be set for motorcycle coms.
mesquito_creek

Post by mesquito_creek »

MOSS2 wrote:Now if I can find some helmet kits for less than 4 times the cost of this radio I would be set for motorcycle coms.
For fully operational race type helmet set ups, I agree, you are going to have to spend some money to get optimal set up. The PTT button is the weakness of all the non-bike specific pieces.

But you can rig up some pretty useful helmet comms with what you get from the chinese radios. We have zip tied the baofeng microphone with the earbud into a lot helmets. There are two style that I have seen come with the radio, the better one is the one where the PTT button is on the same side as the mic, not on the back. That makes it easier to find it with your thumb. What we have found is that 90% of the time, the key is that the high power truck radios can talk to the bikes, not that the bikes can carry on conversations over the wind noise and growl of the motor. With hand signals etc the bikes are pretty happy being able to monitor and react to what it being said over the radio. Then obviously, if they feel they need to be heard, they would stop or slow down to the point where they can reach up into the face gaurd and push the button. Nothing is better than having a bike out front blow a turn and radio ahead that he's missed it, and watch him turn around, versus the days of having to chase him down for 10 minutes... If you are handy with the electronics, there are plenty of schematic floating around to wire in a PTT button on the handle bar, but noise cancelling mics and good headset etc for racing are not included in the 38 dollar radio kit.
mesquito_creek

Post by mesquito_creek »

baofendPTT.jpg
baofendPTT.jpg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

On my motorcycle helmet I got the Rugged harness and helmet kit but I did not like the PTT velcro stuff. I wired in an RCA plug to a motorcycle kill switch. Solid setup and if you fall, the RCA plug will pull out. I have a Camel pack with a radio pocket where the antenna sticks out. I am using the high gain longer Diamond antenna.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

tcm glx wrote:We just spent the week using a handful of those blue units from Amazon and they worked FANTASTIC!!

We did upgrade and get the 15" whip replacement antenna... My Maratrac guy got them for me and they extended the range a good 20 percent. Worked awesome!!!!
Agreed! They're seriously so cool! I spent 3 days playing with them nightly when I first got them. I love how easy the CHIRP software is. I still need to get the extended range antennas and I'm also setting up my car with an antenna switch so I can have a cable hanging under the dash that'll allow me to use the roof antenna with the handheld.

I really like being able to transmit on "family bands" with these. They have me wishing my hard mounted mobile unit was dual-band, too... maybe down the road.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

I am running a dual band Kenwood TK730H VHF & TK830H UHF in the Chase truck F350 and plan to in the Bronco also. Great setup. I would love to get a all in one 110watt tri-band radio with CB channels also. It would be nice to save space.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Convert your radio to allow family radio like I did for all my mobile including hand held units. Lots of how to on the HAM links. After doing the radio mod then you will need the programming software and cable. I now have both my old WinXP and my newer Win7 laptops functional for programming SW for my 3 different radios.

I am not a biker or a helmet user, but I see ads for kits that include throat mikes, ear buds, and push to talk that attaches to ones collar. Along with a longer antenna it seems like the way to go for this application. Apparently there is a large market for such things.
Gilbee01
Bronco Info: 1996 bronco EB

Post by Gilbee01 »

Throat mic is not good on bikes since it works on vibrations .
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

BaoFeng UV-82 with upgraded antenna. $65 for the entire setup with a 5 watt output. I believe the Rugged Radio blue deals are only 4 watt with a smaller bandwidth (150-174 instead of 136-174 mhz). I'm sure they work great but I'm always trying to find something a little better:) I use this in conjunction with the San Bernardino Sheriff's Dept - Medical Reserve Corp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F33 ... UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUD ... UTF8&psc=1

Wrightracing.net

guard wrote:BaoFeng UV-82 with upgraded antenna. $65 for the entire setup with a 5 watt output. I believe the Rugged Radio blue deals are only 4 watt with a smaller bandwidth (150-174 instead of 136-174 mhz). I'm sure they work great but I'm always trying to find something a little better:) I use this in conjunction with the San Bernardino Sheriff's Dept - Medical Reserve Corp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F33 ... UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUD ... UTF8&psc=1

I was looking at these and the other blue ones. A couple things I noticed was they are not waterproof.

I also noticed that the antenna you referenced does not specify it is for the 150MHz range we use for racing. The dual band antenna may work but not as well on the frequencies we use most.

I have been doing more research because I get people asking me for communication solutions. I have done race communication for more than 20 teams and chase crews. So far for the past 8 or 9 years I have had a great reliable experience with Yaesu, As has many guys that race bikes and quads. The VX-170 is waterproof and the battery life surpasses most radios on the market. I have had a VX-120 and VX-170 for 9 years without issues. I have even killer the power by leaving the radio on and the batteries still recovered full charge and reliability. The radio can sit for months and the battery never drains at all.

I also go with Diamond high gain antennas that are specifically designed for 150MHz to 158MHz.

The last radio I bought as a test radio, was a Wouxun Dual band. Function wise it has been a good radio. The quality of battery is not good. It has a tendency to go dead just sitting for a couple weeks. It is not waterproof but It is splash resistant. I got it for Circle track racing using UHF. I also got two Diamond antennas for it. One stubby made for 450MHz to 470MHz UHF and a low gain antenna designed for small areas with high radio traffic with in the band. The other was a Diamond high gain for race frequencies and UHF. I did try the high gain antenna at a track up in LA and it was terrible. I had interference from a cab company, a tow truck co and security co. I put the stubby antenna on and all I heard was my driver during qualifying.

I am still looking for a cheaper good replacement for the VX-170. The last couple I paid $150 each for a Honda rider that races in Baja.

The China stuff thus far is OK for most, but for race application's I am still not convinced.

One of my new handheld radio applications I have taken from the police department is the vehicle UHF repeater setup with a VHF Kenwood 110 watt radios. The handheld is on UHF with a headset, then it operates on the VHF band through the 110 watt radio as a range extender for the handheld. It works great for base radios in a trailers and chase guys when they are out of the truck's.
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

I've got a post up on eham.net to recommend a good aftermarket handheld antenna at 12" or less in length for 150 mhz. For just under $50 new I'm hoping the UV-82 radio will work well enough. I don't find myself in water enough to warrant a waterproof radio and I'll be using this one on channels other than the 150-152 range but probably not much on UHF.
Wrightracing.net

For the people that come to me for radios the main issue is not water but dirt and dust while riding. Water comes into play sometime. I have a couple guys that race in Florida with rain and mud. A well sealed radio is just good all around for off road.

The high gain antennas from diamond usually are under $30 through Ham Radio Outlet.
mesquito_creek

Post by mesquito_creek »

Wrightracing.net wrote:
guard wrote: One of my new handheld radio applications I have taken from the police department is the vehicle UHF repeater setup with a VHF Kenwood 110 watt radios. The handheld is on UHF with a headset, then it operates on the VHF band through the 110 watt radio as a range extender for the handheld.
How do you license/id your transmissions on the UHF side of this set up?
Wrightracing.net

On UHF you can use the Family Radio band frequencies or you need to get a Ham license to be legal in the US. In Mexico where we use the range extender and vehicle repeater there is no license needed.

As for circle track racing, we are assigned a race frequency and the sanctioning body takes care of legal paper work with the FCC.
mesquito_creek

Post by mesquito_creek »

Wrightracing.net wrote:On UHF you can use the Family Radio band frequencies or you need to get a Ham license to be legal in the US. In Mexico where we use the range extender and vehicle repeater there is no license needed.
I never thought about FRS on the uhf side, I guess that would bring back into service any old radios I have... and I dont see why it wouldnt be even more legal than licensed ham band uhf. Am I reading it correct that FRS is limited to 1/2 a watt only?
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

For FRS freqs use in the US reset your power level to the lowest setting. Still way to high, but is less likely to attract Fed attention.
Be sure you have access to FRS channels for use in the states. Many of the radios we use will need a mod to get access to those freqs. If you do the mod go ahead and add the weather band freqs.
Sure thing if you transmit on typical race channels here in the states you will be conflicting with commercial users and you can expect a visit from the Feds as soon as they locate you. The commercial users do not like outsiders on their approved freqs. The only exception is for race support approval as mentioned above, and those approvals are time sensitive.
Wrightracing.net

Here is a good link for GMRS and FRS

http://ba-marc.org/writeups/gmrs-frs-freq.htm

That is something I like about my Yaesu handhelds, I can program different power levels for different frequencies. I think I can on the Wouxun also.

I have wanted to get my Ham license for awhile. Maybe one day.