Handheld Radios.... what is everyone using!

Kartman
Bronco Info: 88 with big shocks and stuff.

Re: Handheld Radios.... what is everyone using!

Post by Kartman »

I bought a couple of Baofengs last year. 1 is kaput. Another friend bought 2 and neither ever worked.

With an upgraded antenna range was OK but not as good as a quality handheld. Battery life was great though.

Only cost me a few bucks but having a radio fail at a race again is not a real option for me. Will be getting a good handheld from PCI soon.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Handheld Radios.... what is everyone using!

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Ya Kartman, I was worried about that. I have not been happy with my Wouxan. It drains the battery even when turned off. Now my Yaesu handhelds I have, are proven themselves year after year in Baja.

The problems you had is why I had not pulled the trigger on the cheap ones.

$150 to $200 for a Yaesu is worth it.
Kartman
Bronco Info: 88 with big shocks and stuff.

Post by Kartman »

It was a $30 experiment, so not a huge loss. I had an old Yaseu, worked well for years, and was about $100 as I recall but it was a converted ham.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Kartman wrote:It was a $30 experiment, so not a huge loss. I had an old Yaseu, worked well for years, and was about $100 as I recall but it was a converted ham.
====
Yup. You are not the only one that threw away the things. A buddy in San Felipe threw away 6 of them after repeated problems.