Handheld Radios.... what is everyone using!

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Handheld Radios.... what is everyone using!

Post by PaulW »

Please note that the radios we all have are not eligible for a GMRS license. Probably a good idea to stay away from those freqs.
=============
Wrightracing.net wrote:Here is a good link for GMRS and FRS

http://ba-marc.org/writeups/gmrs-frs-freq.htm

That is something I like about my Yaesu handhelds, I can program different power levels for different frequencies. I think I can on the Wouxun also.

I have wanted to get my Ham license for awhile. Maybe one day.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

PaulW wrote:Please note that the radios we all have are not eligible for a GMRS license. Probably a good idea to stay away from those freqs.
=============
Wrightracing.net wrote:Here is a good link for GMRS and FRS

http://ba-marc.org/writeups/gmrs-frs-freq.htm

That is something I like about my Yaesu handhelds, I can program different power levels for different frequencies. I think I can on the Wouxun also.

I have wanted to get my Ham license for awhile. Maybe one day.
Hey Paul, I think My Yaesu's are Legal????? These ones don't do UHF but Yaesu does have a dual band version. They were purchased at Ham Radio Outlet here in San Diego. Now the Wouxun, I don't know on that one.
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

I am going to say technically the yaesu HTs would not be part 95 compliant..

Generally, radios made for GMRS, FRS and MURS as well as CB cannot be designed to operate outside of the prescribed frequencies of the radio service, or operate at higher power than is allowed, and in the case of FRS, cannot have a removable antenna.

http://wb7tjd.org/wiki/FRS,_GMRS_and_MU ... _95_Rules)
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Ok. I saw that the Gmrs guys could run 5watts on some FRS channels is why I asked
Wrightracing.net

Ok, time for an update on the cheap handhelds.

What is the report on longterm use of the handhelds.

Pros and Cons.

Battery life while stored and in use?

How easy is it to program?

My Report on three handhelds I own.

1: Yaesu VX120. Cost $150 + $25 for a high gain antenna. I had to purchase the program cable separately for $15. Great Radio, easy to program on the computer but a little confusing to program on the fly. Battery lasts a long time while in use. When storing the radio with the battery still connected, it does not discharge. Really durable, even after several dirt bike crashes with it in use in my Camel Pack.

2: Yaesu VX170, Same great radio as the VX120.

3: Wouxun KG-UV899 . $90 on ebay two years ago. I needed a UHF radio to be a spotter for a friend racing in one of the NASCAR entry classes. I got two additional antenna's for the radio. One is a stubby for UHF in a circle track race. The other is a longer high gain dual band antenna for use on VHF and UHF in the desert and Baja.
The radio is ok to program in the field and on the computer. The nice thing is it came with a programming cable and software. It dose monitor two channels at a time and displays them on the readout at one time. The radio has two cool features, a LED flash light and the ability to listen to FM radio for news or music like a car stereo. I wish it had an AM radio function but not a big deal.

The bad, The battery discharges when turned off for three to four months.
I am going to disconnect the battery when stored and see if it holds a charge.

My needs: A radio for riding dirt bikes in the desert and street bike on the road. Also a Handheld to keep a spotter down the track in contact with the pits for advanced warning of bikes coming into Honda Pits. It helps to have a spotter when pitting for several bikes or other vehicle's. Also, use at contingency. All my helmet's are wired with PCI helmet kits, Bell Moto 6, Bell forced Air race helmet and Shoei street bike helmet. I have Several David Clarke Headsets wired with the off road jack and a PCI headset that all work with a simple wire harness and PTT button. On the bikes I use a dirt bike kill switch wired as a PTT button and is easier to push unlike the standard Velcro on stuff.

One more need, And I am not a tinfoil hat guy, but I am making a disaster, go bag for myself and my mom. We live about 25 miles from each other. I want to put a handheld radio in the go bag. I need to have something that can be stored for years and still work when needed. It sounds kind of tin hat like, but they will be packaged in an anti EMP Faraday cage style bag that protects the radio.

Conclusion: Right now the Yaesu

Now, overall conclusion. The Wouxun is not acceptable with a battery drain but if the battery drain is not a problem with it disconnected then it is ok for overall needs. The Yaesu radios have proven to hold up over the years but do not have UHF which would be nice to have for the go bags to use on the Family Radio channels if needed. We both have 110 watt Kenwood race radios in our Vehicle's also. But the handhelds are a backup.

I am thinking about the Boafeng UV-5R+ Price $38

So what is your long term experience??? What do you have?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Update
Like I said I got new batts for my two Yaesu VX-5Rs. Made a big difference. FYI, These radios are around 10 years old and the new batts are in their second year. New batts (1500 mwhr) have double the capacity compared to the old ones. Yes these radios do drain the batts during long term storage, but its not real serious because the work fine but for a shorter time.
So we just spent 2 days driving from CO to SF and did not need to recharge on the way. Huge improvement. The radios were on 9 hours each day and Julie likes to chat. I just looked and we were using FRS13 for the trip @ 5 watts. Lucked out and only had interference when we got to Mexicali. No problems in the other cities we drove thru. We use a quarter way mag unit in the cars and an high gain whip for wandering around at races. Of course the mag mount it much better. Get these aftermarket antennas at Ham Radio Outlet.
So comparing the hand held with mag mount with my Bronco 50 watt race radio it turns out the compare favorably until you need some range without line of sight. I was able to talk to Weatherman for Lugna Diablo and he was on top of Diablo. And I could not reach the Eldorado PMEX area with that setup like the race radio does. Pretty darn good. Such it is with 5 watts.
Anyway, we are much happier with the things with new China made batts. To bad the radio and higher capacity batts are so expensive.

One of these days I will do a shootout to compare my hand held with the BaoFeng my buddy has
FYI, the VX-5Rs are modified for use with race freqs. FRS, Gmrs and weather. I have Sw and cable and have figured out how to get the SW to work with Win7 (a big deal for me Ha).

New to radios use in the boondocks -?- With such good reviews for the latest from China radios and if one does not have the top of the line stuff already then the cheap ones are the way to go.
Paul
mesquito_creek

Post by mesquito_creek »

Wrightracing.net wrote:I am thinking about the Boafeng UV-5R+ Price $38

So what is your long term experience??? What do you have?
I have 3 Boafeng UV-5R that I use regularly and they still work great after a couple years of Arizona/Baja heat and dust... Just ordered the new BaoFeng BF-F8HP, which is an 8 watt vhf version of the UV-5R, thus the "HP" high power name. The first one I got would not charge, so I returned it and I am waiting on the new replacement to arrive this thursday. Amazon is really good on the returns. I just printed off a shipping label for free and UPS picked it up.

Technically, I believe the new boafeng 8 watts is not a legal handheld transceiver. They are limited to 5 watts for FCC compliance.

I also think and "shootouts" that don't use the exact same antenna configuration from unit to unit is sort of apples and oranges.

Also, if I was to fully disclose my setup... I use a crossbanding receiver pretty much all the time with my handhelds, so for the most part they are as good as my mobile in terms of what I am able to RX/TX.... The handheld works pretty good for a 6-8 miles on the uhf side and the mobile carries the next 20+ miles on the VHF side for the simplex (truck to truck) stuff in Baja.
Wrightracing.net

For me the high gain longer than stock antennas on the handhelds is a must have. All my handhelds have them except a pair of old 2 channel Motorola VHF handhelds I have in my junk box.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Wrightracing.net wrote:For me the high gain longer than stock antennas on the handhelds is a must have. All my handhelds have them except a pair of old 2 channel Motorola VHF handhelds I have in my junk box.
=
Agree. When I got the high gain ant I tested by listening to NOAA weather and tuned to a far away weak site. The new ant came in much better compared to the stock rubber one.
mesquito_creek

Post by mesquito_creek »

PaulW wrote:
Wrightracing.net wrote:For me the high gain longer than stock antennas on the handhelds is a must have. All my handhelds have them except a pair of old 2 channel Motorola VHF handhelds I have in my junk box.
=
Agree. When I got the high gain ant I tested by listening to NOAA weather and tuned to a far away weak site. The new ant came in much better compared to the stock rubber one.
Same here on the antennas... The 15.6 inch Diamond or Nagoya are worth the 18 bucks. Its just as important on the mobile setups. I think it is more important that the brand of radio or the "power" of the radio.
jkrell
Bronco Info: Ford F150 Flareside

Post by jkrell »

Good info here, i just picked up a Boafeng BF-F8HP with an Nagoya antenna.

I just downloaded the chirp software as well and working on figuring that out. Anybody out there have a default "offroad" radio list they wouldn't mind sharing?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Jon - PM me with your email addy again & I'll send along a couple channel lists I have. They are a few years old so not positive of changes though.
Wrightracing.net

Basic 16 channel list
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

Thanks for the frequency info and radio recommendation. I'm digging the new BF-F8HP. Easy to use and program with chirp. Looking forward to breaking it in at the Mint this weekend.
Wrightracing.net

If you are still looking for handheld radio's, here is a great deal on two with long range antennas, car charger and programming software.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 69&alt=web
Wrightracing.net

Re:

Wrightracing.net wrote:If you are still looking for handheld radio's, here is a great deal on two with long range antennas, car charger and programming software.

jkrell

Post by jkrell »

The BF-F8HP attached to the Nagoya NA-771 is legit. Very happy with it at the mint. Used it all day race day and the battery still says full and the reception and volume output was excellent. Great little radio.
Wrightracing.net

What wattage did you have it set at? I do like that it gives you 3 wattage settings.
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

I guess I missed the wattage setting during setup. Not sure what it is set at. Why would you want it at anything less than the max?
Wrightracing.net

If you are in a caravan or close to the person you are talking to, you can set the wattage lower, say at 1 watt and the battery life would be extended for those long trips without a chance to recharge. When we ride our dirt bikes, I have all our helmets with the same microphone and speakers from PCI that we run in our race helmets. I have them conned to the radio in a special pocket in my Camel Back, backpack that let's the antenna stick out. Great setup and makes life easier when riding with others.