GPS Antenna

Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Re: GPS Antenna

Post by Seabass »

Hey Baja, When you say "silicone" what exactly are you using? Will rtv work? I would like to take the same preventative step but don't want to foobar a $90 antenna. I've heard that there are different antennas and they are not interchangeable, any one know more about this?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

$90 is low for a used antenna on eBay ;)

There are different antennas & some are "somewhat" interchangeable.

The oldest antenna I remember is the LGC-12w. These came with a gyey/black connector on the end and can only be used with like cables/units. I have 2 used but in good shape & working for sale if people are interested.

Next came the LGC-2000 with the blue connector. The headunit for these had a blue connector as well. These I believe can be upgraded to 3000 or 4000 antenna with the correct adapter cord.

Then came the LGC-3000 with maroon connector. The head unit for this has the maroon, blue & yellow connectors - maroon being for the antenna. I THINK the 3000 & 4000 antennas will interchange on these. There are also black connectors that are used with the T's, etc. for the connection cables for these.

Now there is the LGC-4000 antenna. I THINK these have a black connecter but I don't remember.

There are also LGC-Baja antennas which I think come in blue, maroon & maybe black connector. These are the same as the 2000, 3000 or 4000 (whatever connector color they match) & have supposedly been siliconed to help them hold up to the vibration of off road.

After that we get into the HDS stuff which I've never messed with.

Pics of the different color connecters for the 12w, 2000 & 3000 are below - in that order
Attachments
5000c GPS back 2.jpg
5000c GPS back 2.jpg (100.34 KiB) Viewed 589 times
x 175.jpg
x 175.jpg (110.03 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Baja 540c 2.jpg
Baja 540c 2.jpg (113.62 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Seabass wrote:Hey Baja, When you say "silicone" what exactly are you using? Will rtv work? I would like to take the same preventative step but don't want to foobar a $90 antenna. I've heard that there are different antennas and they are not interchangeable, any one know more about this?
You are correct, I used RTV... I should have been more specific.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

10-4 thanks!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

If you're using silicone on paint, make sure it's clear. The colored stuff will eventually eat through the paint.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I still have my 4900M GPS and it came with a LGC 2000
Its an interesting GPS. Black & white with better pixle count than the color units. I still use it at my desk for studying the topo details. It has very clear detail and better contrast than my real favorite, the 7200c.
PW
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Mounting the GPS is pretty straight forward. Lowrance will mail you the mag insert and then all that is needed is to just plop in on the metal roof or hood. The ant wont move as the mag mount is very strong.
Dress the cable so it wont get caught on a low branch.

As noted a dash mount works but can block the sats signals to the rear of the vheicle. Guys with overhead campers on pickups favor this method.

Put the thing on the Bronco back seat will give the same sensitivity as a roof mount. If you don't believe me try it out. Use mine that way for my first trip to Baja, back in the day.

Mine now is wedged between a roll bar and the shell roof .. perfect.

Before I had a cage I bought a plastic box at RadioShack and glued a sheet metal bottom on it an bolted it to the shell with Nylon bolts. The mag mount on the sheet metal held it in place with no movement... perfect.

Both these last 2 methods anre good fro cable routing to keep the cable out of the way.

PW