Delorme GPS 2-way Satellite Communication

funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Delorme GPS 2-way Satellite Communication

Post by funinthesun95 »

Delorme GPS for Android anyone ever use this? for offroad? or is it new?

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeC ... tion=10820

any feedback would be great.....I get that it may not be good for Race application......but Prerun or Mexico trips.....what you think
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Delorme GPS 2-way Satellite Communication

Post by PaulW »

Concept is not new and for sure it would be great for off road where no cell service or radio were available. It is the next best thing to a Sat phone and a lot less expensive. Just like a phone a racer would have to stop and type then send. Not like a radio, but great when one is out of radio range - like Baja or Nepal.

I have been using SPOT Messenger for 2 years. Then about a year ago they offered a deal with Delorme to allow text editable text to be sent via SPOT to anybody from anywhere using a Delorme addon device. Now SPOT has a new setup for a smart phone to do the same thing. See http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116
Works world wide with no cell connection. Appears to the same setup and the one on your link. Anyway do not fear, I think both sytems will work as advertized. They have many customers worldwide.

My SPOT2 sends pre programed messages and one cannot change them until you get home to your PC. Very old school. The new technology is a very much better solution. Not sure if the SPOT text creater version that does not use a smart phone is still available?
PaulW
=================
funinthesun95 wrote:Delorme GPS for Android anyone ever use this? for offroad? or is it new?

any feedback would be great.....I get that it may not be good for Race application......but Prerun or Mexico trips.....what you think
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

BTW, I just spent 48 hours attempting to get out of Maromi. My Bad because my messages said all was ok and nobody thought to look at my GPS track to see I was not moving.
Sure wish I had text creation addon for my spot. To lazy to do a writeup of all the details. But the Bronco should be back in operation by next week.
PaulW
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

PaulW wrote:BTW, I just spent 48 hours attempting to get out of Maromi.
Story? Somewhere on the course I should look out for?
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

PaulW wrote:Concept is not new and for sure it would be great for off road where no cell service or radio were available. It is the next best thing to a Sat phone and a lot less expensive. Just like a phone a racer would have to stop and type then send. Not like a radio, but great when one is out of radio range - like Baja or Nepal.

I have been using SPOT Messenger for 2 years. Then about a year ago they offered a deal with Delorme to allow text editable text to be sent via SPOT to anybody from anywhere using a Delorme addon device. Now SPOT has a new setup for a smart phone to do the same thing. See http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116
Works world wide with no cell connection. Appears to the same setup and the one on your link. Anyway do not fear, I think both sytems will work as advertized. They have many customers worldwide.

My SPOT2 sends pre programed messages and one cannot change them until you get home to your PC. Very old school. The new technology is a very much better solution. Not sure if the SPOT text creater version that does not use a smart phone is still available?
PaulW
=================
funinthesun95 wrote:Delorme GPS for Android anyone ever use this? for offroad? or is it new?

Thanks for the link to the Spot2 Paul. I just added it to my Xmas list.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

tcm glx wrote:
PaulW wrote:Concept is not new and for sure it would be great for off road where no cell service or radio were available. It is the next best thing to a Sat phone and a lot less expensive. Just like a phone a racer would have to stop and type then send. Not like a radio, but great when one is out of radio range - like Baja or Nepal.

PaulW
=================

Thanks for the link to the Spot2 Paul. I just added it to my Xmas list.
x2!!!

$169 for the smart phone unit and $99/year for service (right?)......only has to work once to be worth that. I want one for sure.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

BDKW1 wrote:
PaulW wrote:BTW, I just spent 48 hours attempting to get out of Matomi.
Story? Somewhere on the course I should look out for?
===========
Not on course
Broke near RM152. Front wheel bearing. Loaded up on the trailer and buried the combo in deep sand 5 miles west of Mx5. Had to go get a tractor to get out.
PaulW
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

My SPOT has the same messages as the SPOT Connect except now days one has to pay an extra 50 to get tracking. And I use that feature all the time
Spot connecr is 170 list - one time cost. Recurring cost 150 plus the phone. So if one has an Adroid or any version of Apple iOS then that is the total cost. Works will all Apple products like the iPAD etc.
Make the Delorme version look way expensive.

Insurance is expensive.
PaulW
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Thanks PaulW....this helps alot
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports