ipad gps?

mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

ipad gps?

Post by mesquito_creek »

if its good enough for pilots, I would think its good enough for pre-running? Anyone try a bluetooth GPS puck with an Ipad for navigation? I understand you may want to kneeboard strap it to an actual person serving as a navigator versus hard mount it. Although Ram makes some hard mounts? Pricewise the Ipad is cheaper than alot of gps and does alot more???
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Re: ipad gps?

Post by Phoenix0783 »

I have Orux Maps on my android phone and it works really well. You can pre cache google maps (or others) for a background map. You can record trails, follow gpx maps and display a few stats. With an android tablet, this work work even better. I know a guy who uses it on his EVO4g mounted on his motorcycle and loves it.

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... maps&hl=en
Last edited by Phoenix0783 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

There's some pretty good info on this subject in this thread from RDC.
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showth ... -your-ride
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

My old man uses his for flying and LOVES LOVES LOVES it. He has the moving map GPS on his and can keep all his charts and reference books in it. I don't think they like the violence or the mud and dirt of prerunning. I followed the link Steve posted for a while but sort of lost interest after a while as I was not ready for one.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Unless these nifty devices can emulate the Lowrance features and maps then it would be pretty hopeless. I am not against inovation , but the other gps engines you feed into these new tech screens just dont cut it. They will work fine for very simple navigation, but file sharing and track creation is what its all about for race, chase, and Baja nav. Much simpler to live with a small screen Lowrance like an XOG or a 5M and have features and technology we all have.
About the Av aps. There is a huge market for point to point nav they use and lots of providers for the info. And they all work the same and all use the FAA background maps.
The guys using these new devices mostly use waypoints to define a trail then drive, walk, hike point to point. Try it some time and you will see what a bummer it is. Works great in an airplane or boat, but not in the real land based world.
The Iphone app will make tracks and WPs but all the other nav & trip stuff is missing.
Yes you can get Garmin, Magellin, etc background maps, but the trails are made for Lowrance and conversions are cappy and the loss of breadcrums is significant.

PaulW
SuperSixAxis
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD

Post by SuperSixAxis »

This will be watched VERY closely. I have access to a XOOM and may buy another just to attempt to build a prerunner PC.

Torque for my OBDII data collection
Camera recording in 720P using a RAM mount
Onix mapping for my GPS nav/waypoints
Media, internet(when in town)

Seems like a pro tool for a prerunner if we can get the GPS better. I have to think that the unit can process as well as an HDS...its just software for now.
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

SuperSixAxis wrote:I have to think that the unit can process as well as an HDS...its just software for now.
I guarantee a tablet processing power is vastly superior to a lowrance unit. Orux maps works well, but it can be kind of cumbersome to use. I don't have a tablet, but I've been thinking of developing a mapping program for them that would be suited to our needs.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
SuperSixAxis

Post by SuperSixAxis »

I am pulling the trigger on a Xoom 4G here in Hawaii on Clist for $350. I will make it my vehicle PC and can take notes in class with it.
greaslife
Bronco Info: Home built is the way too go even if they don't like it.

Post by greaslife »

I too am looking at the tablets. Being able too do more than just gps is a key point long with price easer too sale too the wife
I have been me for 32 years and know i cant spell for Sh!$ so get over it . Thanks Josh
SuperSixAxis

Post by SuperSixAxis »

Okay, the Clist guy pissed me off so I went to bestbuy and got the ipad2. This one has the internal antenna so I will learn MotionX software.
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

I used MotionX on my iPad2 from tecate to Gonzaga bay... it worked great in terms of prerunning and following old score course routes etc... My buddy ran with me in his truck and the Lowrance unit and we were never in contention. The best part of the iPad is the ease of use and the touch screen with huge screen buttons. My co-Dog just manned the iPad as we needed it... I liked it so much I am returning my Garmin Rhino handheld unit I just bought because it just doesnt stack up to the pad tech anymore...

Nailed about 30 small spotted bass shore casting too...
Attachments
gonzofish.JPG
gonzofish.JPG (60.91 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
greaslife
Bronco Info: Home built is the way too go even if they don't like it.

Post by greaslife »

Good too here it even works. Nice catch
I have been me for 32 years and know i cant spell for Sh!$ so get over it . Thanks Josh
Wood
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco

Post by Wood »

I used the motionx app when I was down for the baja 500 in June. It was great, but I barely scratched the surface of all the features...next time I will download more of the street maps around ensenada, etc. The fact that you can just email them the score gps file, and they email it back to you to download to the ipad is pretty sweet.
SuperSixAxis

Post by SuperSixAxis »

I am learning that MotionX will run very well for what I want to do. If I ever race I will run Lowrance but for the Prerunner/Chase Bronco it makes great sense to use it. Having the Bad Elf on the dash and the 1 Meter cable hooked up I can swap GPS antennas between the internal and external as needed(I.E. dismounted ops)

I will be using Dashcommand OBD2 as well. My CoDog will be busy :mrgreen:
SuperSixAxis

Post by SuperSixAxis »

Anyone else working on dailing in the GPS on the tablets? I am making progress on the ipad with motionX, I know someone has to be trying something!

Getting a cut sheet put together for you iPhone users. It will be a good backup to your Lowrances.

Anyone willing to demo this next time they go out of cell range?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

No, but the wife and I are thinking about getting an iPad, so I need you guys to get this all sorted so I can plug and play.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Wood
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco

Post by Wood »

SuperSixAxis wrote:Anyone else working on dailing in the GPS on the tablets? I am making progress on the ipad with motionX, I know someone has to be trying something!

Getting a cut sheet put together for you iPhone users. It will be a good backup to your Lowrances.

Anyone willing to demo this next time they go out of cell range?
Not sure what you are trying to figure out exactly, but I used this on my Ipod Touch, so never had any cell signal obviously. It was just plugged in to a gps enabled mount.
My wife has iPAD but it's wifi only, so no gps chip. I'm waiting for the 3G iPAD I'm supposed to get from work, that will have chip in it, no antenna needed.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

You could always hit up Tony. After he bailed on Blackberry (Torch, playbook, etc) he went all in on Apple....iPhone, iPad, etc.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
SuperSixAxis

Post by SuperSixAxis »

So far the IPAD2 3G is proving to be very accurate. The maps I am caching from motion X are a hassle and use a ton of space to get high res. In July I will test the setup in the Raptor out in Mojave, this will decide if a Lowrance can be circumvented!
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Just found this boys....not IPAD but Im sure they will make one soon

Delorme GPS for Android anyone ever use this? for offroad? or is it new?

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeC ... tion=10820

any feedback would be great.....I get that it may not be good for Race application......but Prerun or Mexico trips.....what you think

i did not mean to jack the topic
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports