funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Re: ipad gps?

Post by funinthesun95 »

Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
greaslife
Bronco Info: Home built is the way too go even if they don't like it.

Post by greaslife »

So I got hooked up too day for my 32nd b day . iPad 2 4g with gps built in. going the the bronco for gps and other things. O I also got the other box case for it witch is shock proof and water resistant. Going too use it on a trip coming up and will get back too you on what I find and how it works. What maps or system do you suggest using. Thinks for the feed back.
I have been me for 32 years and know i cant spell for Sh!$ so get over it . Thanks Josh
SuperSixAxis
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD

Post by SuperSixAxis »

Motion X is what I am using. Seems to be very reliable in Hawaii and I am assuming will be just as good in the desert.

The internal antenna can, at times, struggle to keep lock but 99% it is fine. Look at the remote GPS antenna's on Amazon and consider that it will auto swap to internal if you unplug the tethered antenna.

When you say the otterbox is "water resistant" is it a plastic cover on the screen or is it opened up on the screen? I ask because my iPad2 otterbox defender doesnt offer any frontal screen protection aside from the screen protector.
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

it has a screen cover. the hole ipad is encased in hardcover plastic and a rubber seal goes around it and a clear front cover. all the ports can be accessible but opens the unit too dust im planning on figuring somthing out for that .and theres an opening for the speaker.

motion x is what im going with i also found an app for Mojave desert that has trails and other info.
I have been me for 32 years and know i cant spell for Sh!$ so get over it . Thanks Josh
SuperSixAxis

Post by SuperSixAxis »

A Mojave Desert App? Holy Smokes, I am going to look for it now! What is it called?
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

i just searched for Mojave trail and it poped up
SuperSixAxis

Post by SuperSixAxis »

I added it to the collection. Looks promising.

Messing with pilot apps, tons of resources available hidden in these pilot apps....
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

u wont be disappointed.
shaner17
Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco

Post by shaner17 »

how are you guys mounting the ipad in your gofast broncos? I want to do this but must be solid mounted to a roll bar or my fiberglass dash? my wife would have me in the dog house if I broke her ipad...
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

shaner17 wrote:how are you guys mounting the ipad in your gofast broncos? I want to do this but must be solid mounted to a roll bar or my fiberglass dash? my wife would have me in the dog house if I broke her ipad...
Look at ram-mounts.com I have a wind shield mount in for sale forum . I can't use it because mines in a case. I ordered the wrong one
shaner17
Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco

Post by shaner17 »

cool thanks, my bronco's got no winshield tho...want mine in a case as well and can be moved around from DD to pre runner and back home.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Thread revival....

We used an iPad exclusively to prerun for the 1000 last month. I used MotionX, Gaia and LeadNav and have to say, I don't ever see myself buying a standalone GPS. For a race application, I'd say the Lowrance is still king, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got edged out over the next few years. After using the iPad in the prerunner and a Lowarance in the race car, I'd say the biggest edge the Lowrance has is physical buttons. But, the only reason I had to touch the iPad in the prerunner is because I was changing apps and experimenting along the way (and on the move). The only reason I used the buttons on the Lowrance is because it randomly shut off during our run....
Sho nuff,
SteveG
PaleRider
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

ipad gps?

Post by PaleRider »

What app was the better?
rdcjuanb
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco parked in garage. Long term project.

Post by rdcjuanb »

I used LeadNav at the last MORE race and it was super cool with a Ram Mount. I didnt download the maps so that slow loading sucked but will fix that for next time. I dont have a puck for it. Just a wifi ipad, I do not pay for service on it.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I also just picked up the LeadNav setup and puck and will use both Lowrance and ipad. I am a fan of both so will use both. I agree with SteveG things will be moving that way.

so I plan on running the lowrance wifi set up down the road this option will allow the ipad to show lowrance screen on it if needed. Not sure it will be needed but not a crazy add on cost. Lowrance 4th gen brings the buttons back along with touch screen good call by them.

right now it will be old school lowrance and ipad.
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

PaleRider wrote:What app was the better?
They all have pros and cons. I like that LeadNav is geared toward racing, but I don't dig all the subscription upgrades. I haven't used it a ton, so maybe I'm missing something, but it seems you can't flag way points without an additional subscription. At this point I've purchased the app and added one subscription, maybe more, I don't remember.

Gaia has TONS of maps and they're pretty damn easy to download. The con that sticks in my mind is that the way points/mile markers only showed up as little balloons with no text. I was constantly having to tap the balloons to see what they were marking or to try to figure our what mile marker we were near. My favorite at this point... MotionX. I've been using this (infrequently) for a couple years. I just wish it would get updated. As I understand it, the developers are focusing on other products.

Keep in mind the above is from limited use and I am still learning on these apps. Regardless, at this point the only limit is software and I bet it only gets better and better.
rdcjuanb wrote:I used LeadNav at the last MORE race and it was super cool with a Ram Mount. I didnt download the maps so that slow loading sucked but will fix that for next time. I dont have a puck for it. Just a wifi ipad, I do not pay for service on it.
The RAM mounts are excellent. we used one in the truck and in the buggy.

I forgot to mention one of the biggest pros of the iPad over the Lowrance... you can take it out and mess with maps on your couch! Not to mention, you also have an iPad to use for... iPad stuff.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

ipad gps?

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I am reviving this thread a little. This last Saturday I was out at Plaster City for the District 38 Superstition race. I had my old trusty Lowrance 2400 Global map. Monochromatic display.

Well, I also brought out my Samsung 12.2 Android tablet with a GPS app called View Ranger.
The basic app is free, but you have to pay for some overlay maps. One of the cool things is you can
Download maps to use View Ranger offline. I was pleasantly surprised how accurate and how easy
The app worked. Way points and recording a route are easy to use. I was also checking out some land for sale and the GPS got me right to it and was dead on to the spot I was looking for. Even easier to use than my Lowrance. I may have to get a Ram Mount and waterproof case for the tablet. Got to love a 12.2" GPS with HIGH DEF display for under $500. The app has many of the same features I use on my old Global Map 2400.

Here is a screen shot from my track on Saturday.

David...