Anyone used the XOG from Lowrance?

SuperSixAxis
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD

Anyone used the XOG from Lowrance?

Post by SuperSixAxis »

I had an iWay 500c and hated it. It froze up 24/7 and overheated even in Alaska(no joke)

Will the XOG get the job done for a very outdoor/chase/prerunner. Should I be cutting corners here(vs. ponying up the cash for the HDS5) or will the XOG work okay?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Anyone used the XOG from Lowrance?

Post by SteveG »

Nick has one. I've been wanting one for a while now. They do pretty much everything the large units do but in a smaller (much less expensive) package.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

I have one and i really like it! Download course maps, and have turn by turn on the road, even off road in some instances. Steve and i went camping out in rainbow canyon, and i got turn by turn all the way to the campsite.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

We have been using ours for a while now, it just works, except the battery is no-longer; but for $50 like new in the box who cares!
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I have been looking at the Baja for my trail rig. It has a 5" screen and is cheaper than the HD5s. What I really want is a 7200C like the desert truck. But no luck even used.
The 5" should fit better anyway. Space is real tight in a Jeep.
Of course the XOG would take up even less space, but I was concerned that I could not mount it close enough to the driver to be readable. I use my Ifinder now and even with it beside the steering wheel the screen its way way to small.
The XOG will work fine if you can get it close to the steering wheel for reading.
Its a 1 card unit like the ones above (not 7200). Drawback for use in MX because you have to put trails on a separate card than the background map card in order to save the trail to give to others. No fix for that issue except a big buck 2 card unit. THe Xog has some quirks that are not the same as the GM5" and larger, But the guys using them get along just fine.
Here is todays search
HDS-5 498 (5")
Elete-5m 520 (5")
GM540C 556 (5")
XOG 124 (3.5")
PaulW
edit HDS-5 above is the Baja
PW
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I want to get info out that MapCreate is no longer supported by Lowrance. I have hepled several buy used ones. Here are the details .
Get version 7 and make sure it has at least 2 unregistered cards , or that it comes with used registered cards.
After you get it them you can make your own background maps for the us & canada.
Otherwise you are going to be stuck buying individual registered cards for certain geographical areas form vendors like PCI.
None of the background maps are as good as Garmin topo, but I use the MapCreate maps all the time and they are good enough.
PaulW
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Good to know Paul - thanks. I've seen some MapCreate software going for decent $$ on eBay and wasn't sure why the auctions went for so much. Now I know.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

One thing that has surprised me is how good the base map in the XOG is up here.
Of course you are not allowed to venture off designated trails and roads but, thus far it has had them all.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Dust wrote:One thing that has surprised me is how good the base map in the XOG is up here.
Of course you are not allowed to venture off designated trails and roads but, thus far it has had them all.
==========
Lots of missing roads in South CO. Garmin is better in most places. Using both is a help.
PaulW
SuperSixAxis
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD

Post by SuperSixAxis »

Sounds like the XOG is a great bang for the buck. I will grab one and pray it doesnt fail in the abyss!

Scratch that, I am hoping Amazon Santa brings me an HDS-5 Baja!
Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Post by Dezertbronco »

Just found mine, Lost for a year in my recliner chair, cant wait to get some use out of it?
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

PaulW wrote:I want to get info out that MapCreate is no longer supported by Lowrance. I have hepled several buy used ones. Here are the details .
Get version 7 and make sure it has at least 2 unregistered cards , or that it comes with used registered cards.
After you get it them you can make your own background maps for the us & canada.
Otherwise you are going to be stuck buying individual registered cards for certain geographical areas form vendors like PCI.
None of the background maps are as good as Garmin topo, but I use the MapCreate maps all the time and they are good enough.
PaulW
lol i got a 7200c... this week.. good to know that i cant get software.. figures. Is any of the other software any good? I have seen a bunch advertised.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

What software do you mean?

Assuming you bought the thing used I'd go on http://www.Lowrance.com & make sure it has the most recent software updates.

On the website click on the "downloads" tab towards the upper left.

Then click the "product software updates" link. Download the newest one for your unit & then put it on an SD card & upload it to your unit.

I have a 7200 I think & it's fine. Mine may be an 8200 but they are all the same really so it doesn't matter.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

The Mapcreate software. i just got an 840c (not 7200) for the wifes ride. and i want to make it also a nice street map unit. I got a new unopened mapping setup on ebay though for 150.. not sure how much they ussally are
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have had my Xog for 5 years and has been great. I have used it to mark the course for MDR races rears ago and I have run it on my Honda TRX450er quad in the dunes and Mexico. The one drawback is the sceen gets washed out in direct sunlight while on the handlebars of my quad. For night riding it works great. I have a Ram handlebar mount and dash mount for my Bronco and F350.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I have 2 XOGs,
I sold the Garmin that came with the jeep an juse the XOG. If I want to make trails I use my Ifinder. Reason I prefer buttons vs touch screen. Both work fine.
The other XOG is in the Honda because it has more detail than the OEM nav system, and I like to see elevation and contours that the nav system leaves out.
Bottom line its hard to beat cost vs value/function of the XOG. Mount it close to your eyes so you can read the details.

BTW, I may have mentioned that ORW has an SD card with more detail for the western states.
And Murdock has a killer download for Baja with kilometers for the highways labeled. The both are around $90.
PW
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have had my XOG for almost 5 years and it is still going. I have a PCI map for mexico and it is really detailed. I even can use the Turn by turn on the back streets in TJ. I also jun it on my Honda TRX450ER quad handle bars for riding in Ocotillo, Baja and Glamis. Before MDR went under I would make detailed GPS maps of high speed-slow speed sections and hazards for the guys who did not have time to prerun the course. I would use the XOG and my Lowrance 2400 5" GPS.

I have two older Lowrance 2400 GPS units to go in my Bronco. I have used them in my Chase truck F350 and they work great.

The only time I had a problem with the XOG was at the Baja 1000 one year, I lost all signals from the GPS signals in San Felipe up next to the part of the coarse that followed the mountain heading south. My 2400 still had a signal. That may be the drawback of the internal antennas.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1382845426592.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1382845426592.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
uploadfromtaptalk1382844925139.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1382844925139.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 6139 times
Bobby Velazquez
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco XLT 302

Post by Bobby Velazquez »

Guys, after all these years, are you still using the XOG? The one I bought in 12/2011 in ORW is starting to fail badly since a year ago... I contacted Lowrance a couple of weeks ago and they said they don't have any replacement parts and/or SW updated available for it, in summary, a discontinued unit now. Honestly, I thought it will last a little bit more.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Old thread
Lowrance updates disappear as soon an their units go out of production. Sadly the "Trophy 5M Baja" unit is in this category and was a good choice. Discontinued at PCI. Try Ebay if you want one. Uses heritage LCM and USR files which is good. HP Ranch uses them in all their SxS rigs and I have friends that use and like them.
Otherwise avoid any Lowrance HDS Gen3 if you want to use the Heritage files because Lowrance changed to new format. Trying to find used Gen 2 or older seems to result in a hopeless search.
I you have an XOG keep it It works good - just a small screen. No need for Lowrance updates - it will work fine as is. I have one still in use in my EB.
One thing to note is maps for any Lowrance is hopeless except for Baja using Gen 2 or older from "Murdocknav.com". If you do find a map for your Lowrance for the US it will be hopelessly out of date. Been there and is is very frustrating.
Options galore:
Tablet or phone with great maps available maps from Garmin. I have Iphone, and Android tablet and they work good. Maps available for worldwide places including Baja. Just choose your desired screen size, mount, and a map platform.