Race radios

Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: Race radios

Post by 300 »

BajaF250 wrote:
tcm glx wrote:hey Tom,
Those Motorola Maratracs..... i just popped on ebay and saw them. They look super affordable, how do you control the channel? Is it a base unti for power, then external mic, and external display for the frequency? I ask because I currently have a Kenwood tm-271, but I am looking to add a second radio.
Yeah, the Maratrac has two major components, the transmitter/reciever and the control head. There are three secondary components, the umbilical connector cable, the mic and the speaker. In order to program them, you need an antiquated computer, a 286 or 386, motorola dos driven software and a programming cable. A good friend has the computer, cable and software and we program them here. They can't be programmed on the fly. But again, I've not really needed to.

The control head changes the channels, volume scan etc. It doesn't have an external squelch, it's controlled by the internal computer... works well.

I mounted the t/r on the rear of the cab, behind the passengers seat and the control head is mounted under the dash on the driver's side. I mounted the speaker and the mic on the center of the dash for easy reach and audio. The darn thing has like a 35Watt power source for the speaker and it's LOUD! So, trackside, I just turn it up and I can hear it pretty much anywhere in camp.
Did you figure out what was wrong with Rick's radio? I was excited about it right up until it was DOA in Ensenada. We use the GM300's and used to have the software and cable, however the same problem finding an old computer to run the software and the cable may have gotten cut up for something else, can't find it, DOH!
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

300 wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:
tcm glx wrote:hey Tom,
Those Motorola Maratracs..... i just popped on ebay and saw them. They look super affordable, how do you control the channel? Is it a base unti for power, then external mic, and external display for the frequency? I ask because I currently have a Kenwood tm-271, but I am looking to add a second radio.
Yeah, the Maratrac has two major components, the transmitter/reciever and the control head. There are three secondary components, the umbilical connector cable, the mic and the speaker. In order to program them, you need an antiquated computer, a 286 or 386, motorola dos driven software and a programming cable. A good friend has the computer, cable and software and we program them here. They can't be programmed on the fly. But again, I've not really needed to.

The control head changes the channels, volume scan etc. It doesn't have an external squelch, it's controlled by the internal computer... works well.

I mounted the t/r on the rear of the cab, behind the passengers seat and the control head is mounted under the dash on the driver's side. I mounted the speaker and the mic on the center of the dash for easy reach and audio. The darn thing has like a 35Watt power source for the speaker and it's LOUD! So, trackside, I just turn it up and I can hear it pretty much anywhere in camp.
Did you figure out what was wrong with Rick's radio? I was excited about it right up until it was DOA in Ensenada. We use the GM300's and used to have the software and cable, however the same problem finding an old computer to run the software and the cable may have gotten cut up for something else, can't find it, DOH!
Yeah we figured it out but I really don't wanna say.

OK you beat it out of me. When I was reinstalling the battery at home I forgot to hook up the main power cable. It would receive fine but would only transmit about a mile. My bad. What a dummy.

Tom and I hung out at BFG pit 2 until we lost radio contact with the race Bronco. The last transmission we heard was 50 miles south of us. That's pretty good range and the clarity was awesome.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

When I was reinstalling the battery at home I forgot to hook up the main power cable.
I hate it when I do that haha!!!
50 miles is some pretty good range!!
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Broncodawg wrote:
When I was reinstalling the battery at home I forgot to hook up the main power cable.
I hate it when I do that haha!!!
50 miles is some pretty good range!!

Yeah, but it really wasn't Rick's fault... it was Darin's fault for not being available to help troubleshoot!

We had terrific comms all day long and I was really amazed at the 50 mile reception we got! We had just the right conditions for long transmission and reception. Those darn radios are so clear...
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Nick wrote:So who's gonna man up and admit to having the Weatherman disapproved, and much hated icom v8000?

I had a old Roadmaster for years that a team gave me for helping out at the races. After years I did get an Icom V8000. The radio was better than the roadmaster but was ok for pitting. When I started chasing for a class 8 team it became obvious how limited the radio was. I first picked up a 45watt Kenwood Tk730 radio. It worked so much better than the Icom. First off the modulation output was much cleaner and louder. Also the bleed over on other frequencieswas much higher on the Icom. Then I learned how to work on radio and now I refurb 110 watt Kenwoods for a bunch of team.

I started out finding radios and refurbishing them for friends. Now by word of mouth I have teams wanting radios all the time.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Wrightracing.net wrote:It worked so much better than the Icom. First off the modulation output was much cleaner and louder. Also the bleed over on other frequencieswas much higher on the Icom.
Your Icom was not set up right then. I have used many of those with excellent results. Chase truck I would way rather have on of those than a Kenwood.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

BDKW1 wrote:
Wrightracing.net wrote:It worked so much better than the Icom. First off the modulation output was much cleaner and louder. Also the bleed over on other frequencieswas much higher on the Icom.
Your Icom was not set up right then. I have used many of those with excellent results. Chase truck I would way rather have on of those than a Kenwood.
The V8000 was a brand new setup with the tuning set perfect and BFG Relay 151.715 up on San Telmo Rd during the Baja 1000 confirmed the signal and sound difference. The programming on the road is nice on the Icom but I picked up a surplus TuffBook laptop cheap and keep it in my pit box.

but to each their own.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I cannot offer much with regard to choosing a radio, but my recommendation has always been to be sure the radio comes with the software for the pc OS platform you are using with usb interface (not serial or other) and cables. For me going from XP to Win 7 to win 8 has been a real hassle. Same story for the pro supplier selling the radios. I discussed the situation with a PCI tech guy and he said they have one old XP machine they use for all programing.
Without your own abilities to change the radio memory then its a real hassle to get back to the radio seller. Seems like every race we have to deal with 1 or 2 new freqs. Then there is the local people around San Felipe Seems every group of off roaders has their own freqs.
HAM Kenwoods can be programmed from the radio direct using a keypad in the mike - a big advantage.
PW
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

We actually kept an old DOS machine for programming Kenwoods. Some of the old programs only operate in DOS. Kenwood did not update software on a lot of models, they wanted you to upgrade..........
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The ICOM V9000 can be manually set and programmed from the correct mic.

That is the biggest hassle with the Motorola. I need to build a small portable 286 so I can program them from places other than my shop.

An old laptop could possibly work if I could find one.
drewbee88
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.

Post by drewbee88 »

Should write an app for android that can program them, or even a raspberry pi would be a fun on the go programmer, my bronco will have a nexus 7 as a head unit/GPS ....
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

philofab wrote:The ICOM V9000 can be manually set and programmed from the correct mic.
And that mic should be kept in a padded case in the glove box because it's made out of fragilium and flat out sucks for any actual use.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Yup, that mic sucks and the PTT micro switch has a 20 cycle lifespan.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

drewbee88 wrote:Should write an app for android that can program them, or even a raspberry pi would be a fun on the go programmer, my bronco will have a nexus 7 as a head unit/GPS ....
Motorola's are very fragile to program in the first place, getting a newish device to interface would be extremely difficult if you managed to build a cable / interface box in the first place.

A modern phone has a million times the computing power of the 286 or 8088 the radios were designed to be programmed with.

The Motorola software would also have to be backward engineered as no source code or information is availible.
Wrightracing.net

Ya, my pit box laptop Has Xp Pro and I can program the old Tk730 and the Tk790. Also XP lets me use old dos programs and new Windows software even for our handhelds. Another thing nice about it is I can edit GPS maps out in the field. I picked up the Military surplus Weather proof Tuff Book for $50. All I had to do was put a new harddrive and install Xp. It has been a life saver for a bunch of friends the day before the races. I pack it in a flight case withe our pit radio.
Wrightracing.net

Here are some pictures of the pit boxes I have built for several teams.
Attachments
1329522723301.jpg
1329522723301.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
1329522565788.jpg
1329522565788.jpg (40.27 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
radio-add-pitbox.jpg
radio-add-pitbox.jpg (66.85 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Wrightracing.net wrote:Here are some pictures of the pit boxes I have built for several teams.
I like!
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

David nice work.
Can you give us the details?
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

Just out of curiosity, is the BFG Relay 151.715 an open simplex 2 meter relay? Or are they manning that station and verbally relaying to the receiving station? Seems it would get hammered with traffic if its a open simplex relay station...
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

Let me rephase the question: Just out of curiosity, is the BFG Relay 151.715 an open simplex 2 meter repeater? Or are they manning that station and verbally relaying to the receiving station? Seems it would get hammered with traffic if its a open simplex repeater...