Race radios

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Re: Race radios

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Wrightracing.net wrote:I have always been happy with Kenwood radio's.
The problem is that the
D710G is a Ham radio and it has to be modified to
Transmit on RACE Frequencies. Also, the radio warranty is voided if it is modified. With Ham radio's on frequencies outside their intended range tend to bleed over on other frequencies causing problems for RACE day communications for other people. That is why I am not a fan of converted radio's.

Just my 2 cents
Ham Radio Outlet offers the MARS mod, and i believe keeps it under warranty. Is bleed over really an issue with the higher quality brands like Kenwood? I'd expect people to say that about the Chinese radios like Baofeng.

One of my buddies is really super into HAM, and does some kind of amateur Sheriff auxiliary in his spare time. Total radio nerd. He says the bleed over wouldn't be an issue with a quality radio like Kenwood. Do you have a way to test bleedover or things like that to see if the MARS mod is detrimental? I am happy to just listen, but i would also like to use the radio to communicate with other GFB'ers on trips to hammers, baja, etc.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

PaulW wrote:The latest favorite has to be the Yaseu FT2980R. Low cost with multiple transmit watts the highest being 80W. Giga Parts has all the associated needs including the MARS mod, Software for programming, antennas, etc.
They are very popular for chase as well as Jeep clubs mainly because of quality of the radio and excellent pricing. The MARS mod can be DIY, but for a plug an play I think it is a bargain. If there is any interest send me your email address and I will send you a sample of successful programing spreadsheet using the SW. MARS mod warranty included.
That's a good looking radio, i would really like a remote head for packaging reasons in the bronco. Not a ton of real estate for putting the full unit in the dash.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Bleed over does not exist on Yaseu
That undesirable feature is the result of old technology, not the new stuff.
Baofeng is really low cost and as a result probably has many issues. Having said that at a little 5/+ watts they work as intended. Like rig to rig in a caravan, and they can and are used to monitor strong signals like Weatherman.
===== =
Becks_Bronco wrote:
The problem is that the
Transmit on RACE Frequencies. Also, the radio warranty is voided if it is modified. With Ham radio's on frequencies outside their intended range tend to bleed over on other frequencies causing problems for RACE day communications for other people. That is why I am not a fan of converted radio's.

Just my 2 cents
A couple places (Ham Radio Outlet for example) offer MARS modification and will also offer extended warranty.

Will I really expect bleed over on a radio like Kenwood? I kind of expect that with something like a Baofeng, but I figured the kenwood would be quality enough to avoid that?

I really don’t know enough about radios to have an opinion honestly though lol
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

PaulW wrote:Bleed over does not exist on Yaseu
Baofeng is really low cost and as a result probably has many issues. Having said that at a little 5/+ watts they work as intended. Like rig to rig in a caravan, and they can and are used to monitor strong signals like Weatherman.
===== =
I have about 6 of those little 5w Baofengs, they're fantastic when out of the truck spotting, sitting around the campfire and still wanting to listen in, and when hiking etc.

I had the 25w Rugged Radio's RM25-R that i got at KOH a few years back from Steve, and it worked fantastic. I passed it along to my brother who used it in his Tacoma for a while. I'm looking for a bit extra power when the groups are larger and more spread out.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Understand the concern for where to mount. Back in the day my Kenwood had the separable screen that fit ok above the stock radio and radio under the seat. result way to complicated. Now days I have better solution. Maybe Steve will post pics of the latest Rugged install in Wilson Bronco.
Now days I have gone to the solution of mounting above the windshield. I found it very handy and no dash space is consumed. A little effort is required to make a bracket to carry and support the radio. Put my mike up there as well on a magnet. In fact I have two radios in my Jeep mounted that way. If I had a big Bronco I would mount to the roof/or to the overhead cage tube. For My Early Bronco the radio is done like the Jeep High above the RV mirror, but bolted to the cage tubes.
Why? once the radio is mounted I don't care if I can see it. I just need to reach the mike. No fiddling is ever required except to turn on/off, or select the freq of the day, and rarely adjust the squelch. I have even seen radios inside the console with the mike wire coming out. And behind the console totally out of view. All these installs work just fine.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

PaulW wrote:Bleed over does not exist on Yaseu
===== =
Becks_Bronco wrote:
The problem is that the

Just my 2 cents
A couple places (Ham Radio Outlet for example) offer MARS modification and will also offer extended warranty.

Will I really expect bleed over on a radio like Kenwood? I kind of expect that with something like a Baofeng, but I figured the kenwood would be quality enough to avoid that?

I really don’t know enough about radios to have an opinion honestly though lol
I have a couple Yaseu handhelds I have had for more then 13 years now and they have work great. I have used them with PCI helmet kits for communications while riding dirtbike and car to car with friends without a radio on the trips.

I still run into guys with ham radio's that bleed like crazy. But like Paul said the newer technology radio's hopefully fix that issue.

I am still looking for my Unicorn radio that is a 200 watt all band radio with a auto antenna tuner and has a remote head like the Kenwood's. I know it's not legal, but it would be nice to have one radio that works on 11 m, 10 m, race frequencies and UHF with 200 Watts a power in a small package on the dash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Yaesu handhelds - Yes 13 years!! Great radios I have two VX-5R's and after replacing the batteries they work as new. I wonder if I had to do a mod for the all band capability?
BTW with a mag mount 1/4 wave antenna the performance is way more than could be expected for 5 watts.