race radio ?

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: race radio ?

Post by tcm glx »

BDKW1 wrote:If your going to be using the radio with multiple teams, the Icom V8000 is the winner. Unless you like caring around a laptop and programming software for the Kenwoods. Kenwood business band radios are great race/dedicated chase radios, but they are a pain for random usage.

The installation will make or break a radios performance. Take your time there.

Kenwood TM-271a does not require programming. Been using mine for 2 years, ZERO issues with it. WOrks fantastic.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communication ... es/TM-271A
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Does it matter what antenna I use? I've got one for a regular cb. Dumb question...
It would work but not well. You should use an antenna meant for the freq you use. After it's installed you can have the length trimmed to "tune" it. A signal meter is needed for this.
Philo is right... you have to tune the antenna to the radio wavelenth. CBs are in a narrow band from about 26.9 MHz to 27.4 MHz. The race radios we're using are in the VHF band from about 136 to 174 MHz, which is in the 2 meter band. Thus you'll need to get an antenna that's matched to the frequency band.

When you tune the antenna as mentioned by Philo, you usually tune it to a specific frequency since ultimate performance in any specific frequency has a specific antenna lenght. So, if there is a specific frequency you use most, such as your team frequency, get your antenna tuned to that freq. Or, what a lot of folks do is to average the frequencies you use the most and tune your antenna in the middle to optimize rx/tx on those frequencies. But, you'll never have the ultimate "tune" on that antenna since you are not tuned to any one specific frequency.

Probably more informtion than you want.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

tcm glx wrote:Kenwood TM-271a does not require programming. Been using mine for 2 years, ZERO issues with it. WOrks fantastic.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communication ... es/TM-271A
Unfamiliar with those, Can you set channels without the POS DTMF mic?

BTW, if anyone gets an ICOM, the first thing you should do is replace the DTMF mic. Like most DTMF mics, They make great spares and that's about it.
gunit

Post by gunit »

BDKW1 wrote: BTW, if anyone gets an ICOM, the first thing you should do is replace the DTMF mic. Like most DTMF mics, They make great spares and that's about it.

X2 ^^^ I have had bad luck with those DTMF mikes as well.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Thank you guys. I've wanted one for a while but was stand offish because of how technical they sound. I may pick up a used Icom.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

BDKW1 wrote:If your going to be using the radio with multiple teams, the Icom V8000 is the winner. Unless you like caring around a laptop and programming software for the Kenwoods. Kenwood business band radios are great race/dedicated chase radios, but they are a pain for random usage.

The installation will make or break a radios performance. Take your time there.
As Tony said - these are pretty easily programmable. I can't remember if Andy's (silverslk) radio was a Kenwood or an Icom, but I programmed 9-10 channels in it pretty quickly when we were down at the 1k.

The programmable thing was the reason I suggested the 2 Icom's or this Kenwood. I HATE the pre programmable ones like PCI pushes as it always ends up people want to use a frequency I don't have programmed on one of those...

gunit wrote:
BDKW1 wrote: BTW, if anyone gets an ICOM, the first thing you should do is replace the DTMF mic. Like most DTMF mics, They make great spares and that's about it.

X2 ^^^ I have had bad luck with those DTMF mikes as well.
Funny - Tony and Vic were trying to tell me about the Icom mic issues, but mine has been fine for the last 6(??) years...

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Thank you guys. I've wanted one for a while but was stand offish because of how technical they sound. I may pick up a used Icom.
They really aren't bad at all. Grab the Icom 2100 or 2200 or the Kenwood 271 and go. We can help with any questions you may come up with.
Last edited by ChaseTruck754 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
hobbyturnedobsession

I agree that was one thing that scared me about the radios. I didn't want to have to program with my laptop every time I wanted a different channel.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

I had several issues with my ICOM mic's.

Switched up to the Kenwood and have had no issues. The Kenwood does allow for you to change the frequency either from the mic, or directly from the radio itself. My brother is going on 5 years with his Kenwood, no issues.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Thank you guys. I've wanted one for a while but was stand offish because of how technical they sound. I may pick up a used Icom.

Icoms and Kenwoods are both under $200 at Ham Radio Outlet, I would suggest buying new. I can help with the "necessary mod" to get it to fly.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

tcm glx wrote:

Icoms and Kenwoods are both under $200 at Ham Radio Outlet, I would suggest buying new. I can help with the "necessary mod" to get it to fly.
Let's not forget the vendors that actually support our sport. Rugged race radios is a member here, and has posted up some great deals, and there's allways PCI. You may pay a little more, but they are there at the races, and are willing to help you out.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
hobbyturnedobsession

Thank you Nick, I'll definately take a look, Tony you know your my tech support hahah. When I get the funds I'll make sure to ask more questions.
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

X2 on Tony being the tech support!! im gonna pick up the Kenwood TM-271a new. i'll just have Tony help me out with it, its a plus buying something that someone already knows about,and lives close by aswell!!
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Funny - Tony and Vic were trying to tell me about the Icom mic issues, but mine has been fine for the last 6(??) years....
Yeah, your stuff lives a hard life sitting on the shelf with all the other parts :lol:
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The Icom mic is sesitive to dust. I have fixed both of mine repededly. The micro switch they use is not up to rugged use.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
loosenutdan
Bronco Info: 96 Jeep XJ, slowly evolving into a FSB

Post by loosenutdan »

We use the Kenwood 271's for everything, chase, race, and base. If you spend a day with it, you'll have it mastered. Getting the antenna tuned for you most used frequency is a must. We've always had excellent coms.

-Dan
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

BDKW1 wrote:
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Funny - Tony and Vic were trying to tell me about the Icom mic issues, but mine has been fine for the last 6(??) years....
Yeah, your stuff lives a hard life sitting on the shelf with all the other parts :lol:
OUCH! Funny thing though is the race radio is the one thing that actually gets used! That sucker has gone from my brother's toyo, to my exploder, to my expedition, to my tacoma now. Since none of my crap is ever finished I put it in the DD and use it when I help pit/chase. So take that - hahah
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

My icomm had mic issues when I bought it. I took it apart (the mic) and cleaned it and its been working great ever since.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i ran accross this: dont know if it is still for sale but they had the icom 2200 for 159.00
http://www.gigaparts.com/gpsales/1001/s ... u=ZUS-0485
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/