UHF vs VHF

78Class3

UHF vs VHF

Post by 78Class3 »

What is the difference between the two?
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Re: UHF vs VHF

Post by bajascott »

uhf is commonly used in law enforcement.(440) vhf is commercial(2meter)
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

whats better for racing?
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

http://www.delmmar.com/faqs.htm
http://ezinearticles.com/?UHF-Versus-VH ... id=1328253
couple of quick searchs i did that would better explain the differances...
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

78Class3 wrote:whats better for racing?
===
Racers only use VHF,
Some chase teams use UHF to get away from the VHF traffic. Not recommended.
If you are going to race get an Icom IC-F121 or the equalvelent Kenwood.
If you are just listening or chase get a more user frendly unit like a HAM setup that is easy to program and has friendly channel change abilities.
PaulW
RuggedRadios
Bronco Info: 83' F-150 PreRunner

Post by RuggedRadios »

Take some time to read this and you will thoroughly understand radios.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Comms/
Chris - Rugged Race Products 1-888-541-RACE ChrisBrown@RuggedRadios.com
www.RuggedRaceProducts.com
Two Way Radios, Intercoms, Headsets, Helmets - your RUGGED needs.
$369 Chase Radio Package!
RuggedRadios
Bronco Info: 83' F-150 PreRunner

Post by RuggedRadios »

PaulW wrote:
===
Racers only use VHF,
If you are just listening or chase get a more user frendly unit like a HAM setup that is easy to program and has friendly channel change abilities.
PaulW

Also, UHF has more power in a shorter distance, this is why circle tracks will use UHF with Raceivers. VHF is more powerful in a long distance range, it is able to go farther with more strength than UHF. UHF is great for close range or if there is a lot of obstacles like dense woods. If you are needing long distance VHF is better. Paul is also right that some people use UHF to get away from VHF traffic and like he said that is not recommended. So the answer is that it depends on what type of racing you are doing.
Chris - Rugged Race Products 1-888-541-RACE ChrisBrown@RuggedRadios.com
www.RuggedRaceProducts.com
Two Way Radios, Intercoms, Headsets, Helmets - your RUGGED needs.
$369 Chase Radio Package!
OIFVET
Bronco Info: 1984 Full Size Bronco

Post by OIFVET »

RuggedRadios wrote:
PaulW wrote:
===
Racers only use VHF,
PaulW

Also, UHF has more power in a shorter distance, this is why circle tracks will use UHF with Raceivers. VHF is more powerful in a long distance range, it is able to go farther with more strength than UHF. UHF is great for close range or if there is a lot of obstacles like dense woods. If you are needing long distance VHF is better. Paul is also right that some people use UHF to get away from VHF traffic and like he said that is not recommended. So the answer is that it depends on what type of racing you are doing.
From my understanding, both are good especially if you get stuck somewhere where you don't have phone signal and if there is an emergency where LEO's, Fire, and Medics are tied up, you can help relay information and safety messages. Still debating if I should have one installed along with my CB just in case as well as when I go to KOH 2015, although my portable scanner picked up on all the pit and driver frequencies as well as local police. Drawback of the handheld scanner: Used up a lot of my batteries.
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Well if anyone is looking for a UHF, I have 1 for sale its in the parts section and its a KENWOOD good condition. It was in an shop/work truck. Pm me if interested, cheap also would trade for a VHF.
agavelouis
The Champ
Bronco Info: 1994 5.0 Bronco. Solo Motorsports all the way around

Post by agavelouis »

From my understanding, both are good especially if you get stuck somewhere where you don't have phone signal and if there is an emergency where LEO's, Fire, and Medics are tied up, you can help relay information and safety messages. Still debating if I should have one installed along with my CB just in case as well as when I go to KOH 2015, although my portable scanner picked up on all the pit and driver frequencies as well as local police. Drawback of the handheld scanner: Used up a lot of my batteries.
Police, Fire etc run privacy codes. You can hear them, you can't talk back or help them with relay's of information. In the next few years you being able to hear them will go by the wayside. They are switching to digital encrypted day by day which your scanners will not pick up.

Which is better? Depends on what you are doing.

UHF - only short course teams use it. Great for short range in crowded places. Handhelds have a limited range of about 1/2 mile. Mobile 50watt radios about 10-15 at best, some days on special occasion about 20-25 without repeaters

VHF - Desert and some short course. Much Much Much longer range. Handhelds reach about 1-2 miles and mobile 50watt about 25-30 on an average day. Some days 50watt can go about 40 or better depending on altitude. 110watt VHF Kenwoods see 50-60 rather solidly, and I have experienced over 100 miles from time to time.