Race Radio Wiring

yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Race Radio Wiring

Post by yikes »

Does the radio ground need to go direct to the battery? Can it be grounded to the body or frame without affecting performance?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Race Radio Wiring

Post by SteveG »

Direct to the battery (as close as you can reasonably get) is best. Fewer connections you have between the radio and battery means less potential for interference or bad connections.

I don't want to have 10 different connections at the battery post, so what I'll do on mine (currently re-wiring it) is run one large-ish cable from the battery to a post on the inner fender where I can terminate several ground wires. I'll do the same for the positive side.
Attachments
junction terminal.JPG
junction terminal.JPG (29.64 KiB) Viewed 927 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Thanks Steve. Where can I get that? I'm planning to attach the positive to the battery disconnect, which is mounted to the trans tunnel, then I could use "the terminator" (in my best Arnold voice) for the ground. That should work well, right?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Waytek.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

You can hook directly to the solenoid on the fenderwell if you still have one. Closer to the battery the better... less chance for interference or a ground loop.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:You can hook directly to the solenoid on the fenderwell if you still have one. Closer to the battery the better... less chance for interference or a ground loop.
I do that, but I'm running out of room on that post. You could put a copper tab on that with another stud for accessories. It would be cheap and easy... I might do that on mine.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

You can ground locally if you check the resistance. Should be under an ohm between the ground post and where you are grounding the radio. This will actually cut down on the line noise.