All Band 100w Radio experience.

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

All Band 100w Radio experience.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Hey Guys
I have been looking for a all Band All mode radio that will cover 25mhz to 600mhz. Am and fm.

I want one with a remote head and 100w. It would go in my 72 Bronco. I want something I can use with mixed groups of CB, Race Radio and UHF guys. I have a Kenwood TK790H and TK890H dual band and a CB radio, but it would be nice to take up less center console or dashboard space.

I did find this by Wolf
100W 0-750MHz HF VHF UHF Wolf DDC/DUC Transceiver Radio For UA3REO With WIFI

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175970808240?m ... media=COPY

ImageImage

David

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: All Band 100w Radio experience.

In this case, it is not for racing. I definitely prefer real race radios like the Kenwood TK790H or if on a budget, a TK730H. I own both of those and they both work great, the TK730H is a little more difficult to get programmed, but a computer literate person with Windows XP experience can get it to work just fine.

I will probably just get a small 10 meter Mars/cap radio to use if I am with a Group of people on CB radios.

It would just be nice to have one 100 watt radio that automatically tunes one antenna and covers 24mhz to 600mhz. That way you could talk to everyone if needed on CB, Ham, Family Radios and Race Radios.

Lately, I just keep a couple loaner handheld for friends if needed. In our New Motorhome, I definitely want to cover all band's, but space is not as much of an issue like the Bronco.

Sorry, me being bored again and I have no life right now

David

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

So no days GMRS is what most folks are migrating to.
Now I have a mobile CB, Mobile VHF and two Boefeng handhelds that deal with all the bands.
The handhelds are great for spotter duties on just monitoring the race when walking around.
Also there is a big crowd using mobile GMRS.
Wrightracing.net

PaulW wrote:So no days GMRS is what most folks are migrating to.
Now I have a mobile CB, Mobile VHF and two Boefeng handhelds that deal with all the bands.
The handhelds are great for spotter duties on just monitoring the race when walking around.
Also there is a big crowd using mobile GMRS.
That is why I want a all band all mode radio with a remote mount head unit. I was looking at a couple quad band radio's that only required a program setting change to enable the Mars/cap channel expansion and I saw some with dual antenna connectors on the radio. I think you can run two dual band radio antennas. I also say somewhere a mobile radio with a plug for a integrated automatic antenna matcher/tuner. Then I could run a normal VHF 5/8 wave antenna and the matcher let's me still use the same antenna on 27mhz or even 450mhz. I know it won't be as good as a antenna built for that frequency range, but better than burning up the radio with off the wall swr levels. When I was young I had a RCI 10 meter radio that the finals use to cook, when I used it on CB channels to much. A friend turned the RF gain up over 200 watts and it did not like it. I ended up turning it down under 150 and it was much happier. I still have that radio and it was going into the Bronco, but with limited dash and center console space, I don't really want second radio on the 72 Bronco dash, even if the dash is getting widened 13". I also want the interior to look as much like a 72 as possible. The GPS and the Kenwood TK790H and the Tj890H controlled by a single head and the dual band kit will be nice, I just really want a CB for those occasions when a group has several guys with only CB radio's, although more and more people run VHF or UHF nowadays. I am still stuck in the 70's and 80's when we ran 5 channel crystal CB radio's in our dune buggies. ImageImage My first Chenoweth buggy had a Midland crystal radio and I had 23 crystal chips I could choose from to fill 5 channel slots on the radio. So much progress since then. Now we have 999 memory channel or more at the touch of a button Image

David

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Mounts:
My 72 had a CB mounted to the roof
My 96 had a dual band under the passenger seat and its screen on the dash.
My 21Jeep has a CB and a VHF mounted on a rack next to the roof.
Wrightracing.net

I am looking at a couple Icom or Yasue quad band radios with the detachable face, but most are only 50w with the Mars/cap channel expansion. Some of the new ones can be unlocked with a password and you don't even have to cut any jumpers like older USA legal FCC radio's.

For now, the Kenwood TK790H and TK890H will do the job under the back seat on the seat frame to keep it out of water is I take the top off. They will be race sealed anyways, Like I do for race trucks and open cockpit Buggies.

I still have my old Ranger RCI 10/11 meter 200w radio, but placing it will be determined by my center console and if I do a jump seat in the Bronco for my dog to ride next to me in the Bronco.

David