Lowrance update

Bronco Info: 96 stretched 17.5" 4 link rear, Spirit spring towers in front 35s.

Re: Lowrance update

Postby PaulW » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:03 pm

use my phone frequently, but it only works with a connection. Not worth much in Baja unless you have the maps downloaded, then all is good. Finding a street address never works. Hotels, cafe, & car dealers do work.

Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Postby funinthesun95 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:58 am

At this point in my offroad life I am using both Iphone or Ipad and Lowrance.
Good people + Great info = GFB
@Cockstarmotorsports

Postby PaulW » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 am

I am slowly transitioning to a tablet. with a new learning curve. Good enough for Baja and Excellent for the states. Yes I still have the Lowrance and still depend on it in Baja. Not so much in the states.
Choosing Android tablet for best choices in Baja. IOS misses out on the good MX specific software and maps.

Admin
Bronco Info: It's an Explorer!

Postby SteveG » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:33 pm

PaulW wrote:I am slowly transitioning to a tablet. with a new learning curve. Good enough for Baja and Excellent for the states. Yes I still have the Lowrance and still depend on it in Baja. Not so much in the states.
Choosing Android tablet for best choices in Baja. IOS misses out on the good MX specific software and maps.

The good news is, there are lots of apps for tablet navigation. The bad news is, they all take work ahead of time.

My current go-to for navigation is the Magellan TRX7. Magellan is updating the software for this product first quarter 2018 (very soon). The update is going to include Mexico maps. How detailed, I don't know, but they're going after the recreational off-road market in a way that no other company has... worth a look if you're in the market. Their track publishing/sharing is really, really cool.

Magellan is still king in off-road racing, but they will get a damn good run for their money if they don't step up their game.
Sho nuff,
SteveG

Postby PaulW » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 am

Let me give you some thoughts on my latest activities.
Any of the systems we mention require a huge learning curve effort. I am using my stuff on a weekly basis making tracks and loading and following tracks that others have given me. HDS Lowrance is doable and way to complicated for basic activity. The tablets are all touch screen and use while driving is very hit and miss. Yes learning curve is still an issue.
I have found the secret of any of the systems is a great map. That means ability to use Garmin maps. Garmin is so good that nobody compares. "For stateside". For Baja the map situation is quite varied. Garmin is still a leader, but Murdock is the winner provided you can find a GPS that is compatible. Now days it seems that making our own maps for Baja has to be the final answer. So far success with older Lowrance, or any non Nuvi Garmin, and just about any Android device. No hope for other brands because nobody has one to play with. All the development effort starts with Garmin Maps and expands from there.
* So what is the most common device? Lowrance is the racer standard. The race map can be put on any of them even without a map. I cannot live without a map because I am make my own tracks.
* Choose Gramin and if you want a current model the Oregon or Montana is best. Pricey and small screen. However just about any marine Garmin new (expensive) or old (used) will be a great device. Any Andriod tablet will work. I do not use IOS tablets, but I have my Iphone up to speed for viewing maps, but no new tracks and no importing other than the standard canned maps from the store. To much effort to get up to speed on another system. And I refuse to buy a service to meet my needs.
* I am a big fan on my "Inreach Explorer" with "Earthmate" map. For the states my map is full of all the required Garmin maps and the result is excellent. For Baja not as good. Easy to make tracks and easy to convert them to GPX/Lowrnace format, and best of all text/email two way conversations.
Food for thought

Return to “Communications & GPS”