Midwest F-150 Reg Cab, SB owner

Well? Who are you?
Cricket
Bronco Info: '91 F-150 Custom Shortbed, 2WD converting to 4WD with C&T

Post by Cricket »

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, figured I'd actually introduce myself. I'm up in northern Indiana where these types of builds aren't very common, however they oddly do exist mainly around and for the small Silver Lake Dunes up in Michigan.

I have a '91 Reg Cab, Short Bed that I drove through college in 2wd - 300 straight six form. It never let me down like that, but I always wanted 4wd with a little more power. At some point I will try to gather my photos together and start a build thread as progress happens.
Attachments
DuneTruckCondor.jpg
DuneTruckCondor.jpg (312.41 KiB) Viewed 766 times
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Good looking truck. The i6 is a torque monster for what it is. I believe to go 4wd you'll need a different cross member but I'm not 100%.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Cricket
Bronco Info: '91 F-150 Custom Shortbed, 2WD converting to 4WD with C&T

Re: Midwest F-150 Reg Cab, SB owner

Post by Cricket »

Thank you, it's a lot more rough looking in person. The I6 was a fantastic engine, but the EFI heads are known for cracking, especially if overheated; which is was happened when the switch for my electric fan failed and I didn't catch it in time. Engine still held up to a few years of abuse while leaking coolant and I couldn't find a non-cracked replacement head anywhere. 351w swap is underway currently and I'm a little nervous that I'll miss that low end torque on the big sand hills.

As for the 4x4 swap, that happened in 2017. It's actually pretty straight forward, crossmembers are the same, just have to swap axle assemblies, trans, transfer case and driveshafts. The transfer case shifter hole already exist in the cab, just covered by a plate and some incredibly strong epoxy.