91 Bronco in Albuquerque NM (Big GoFast Dreams)

Well? Who are you?
ABQSasquatch
Bronco Info: 91 EB with 5.8L , \ ZF5 swap and manual bw1356

91 Bronco in Albuquerque NM (Big GoFast Dreams)

Post by ABQSasquatch »

Hey all,

I have been a lifelong lover of full size bronco and finally picked one up last fall for $450 as it had a bad E4OD (also 6 qts overfilled but oh well). 91 EB with a 5.8, very little rust and all sorts of potential :)

I just finished up a ZF5 swap along with a manual BS1356 that I rebuilt and next up on the list is a fiveology racing MAF conversion as I picked up a spare 5.8 out of a 95 that I'm planning on doing a 408 stroker with.
The eventual plan is a threat motorsports (local guys here really are fond of those kits and I'm very fond of the pricing) long travel setup while retaining 4wd and bombing around the desert out here in NM!

Excited to look deeper into the knowledge base you guys have here and appreciate any pointers/advice you have and any I can offer up for anyone wanting to do a zf5 swap.

Here is how she looks today (found some craiglist bfg km2s that finally make it look like a truck :) )
THEJESUS
Bronco Info: WHITE 1992 BRONCO XLT w/ 4" LIFT ON 35" TOYO OPEN COUNTRY'S

Re: 91 Bronco in Albuquerque NM (Big GoFast Dreams)

Post by THEJESUS »

Nice! Welcome to GFB! Can't wait to see the more progress pics as you do the work.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!
ABQSasquatch
Bronco Info: 91 EB with 5.8L , \ ZF5 swap and manual bw1356

Re: 91 Bronco in Albuquerque NM (Big GoFast Dreams)

Post by ABQSasquatch »

Thanks! Just getting it rolling was huge for me as when I bought it it barely had 1st and just limped into the backyard... but the price was right :) Now time to do the build as fast as the minimal budget allows!

I have a few more pictures in my posts on FSB, but I think that my interests lay closer to a DD/go-fast setup and was pointed in the direction of this wealth of knowledge by a local in the Duke City Pre-runner group.
I have done rock crawling with an 88 4runner with the 4cyl 22re and an aussie locker up front and while that little billy goat will bounce it's way up anything crawling its just so slow and I don't enjoy getting rattled to death on the rocks haha.
Can't wait to have a big v8 especially if gas doesn't skyrocket!

Just to outline the general plan for the build:
MAF conversion (fiveology) on a streetable 408W with the 5spd ZF5 and manual BS1356. Currently thinking a single 3" exhaust and a hooker aero chamber muffler and either a custom or bassani y-pipe.
Figure out whether I want to build up the 8.8 or try and convert to a 9" rear end and I'm thinking 4.11 gears for highway mileage (408 grunt should hopefully make up for that in the low end). As far as I have read trussing and welding in the tubes on the 8.8 should be okay but if I haven't sunk any money into the 8.8 now would be the time to go with a 9.
The interior is pretty much gutted so I will add a simple roll bar/cage (still a DD but want a little insurance in low speed tip over or commuting crash) and isulation/carpet so the wife will ride in it :)
Then once the bronco has taken over DD duties from the 4runner sell it and purchase a Threat Motorsports cut and turned kit (do it once and do it right) as well as an under bed bypass shock setup in the rear.

Currently I don't have a desire to race, but that could always change. I think a 408W 5spd long travel bronco will be just about perfect for DD as well as some fun in the desert and the occasional light towing job and I can't wait to read up on all your awesome builds in the process.
This is what she looked like when I got her... a little rust on the rear fender but overall straight and in the desert as long as I take care of the rust right it won't be back for quite some time :)