New member with questions

Well? Who are you?
Redgrom
Bronco Info: 96 bronco 351 and way to many future plans

New member with questions

Post by Redgrom »

Hello, looking to get back into a bronco for a future project. Had a 78 for my first truck than got a 96 that I had for a few years but sold it to get a Tacoma. Well now the Tacoma is no longer a daily driver and has long travel in the rear and s MT kit up front that will be swapped to a LT kit soon.
Thinking of using the bronco as a tow vehicle for a while till I build it up. Really like the solo kits for the bronco so might start with the rear as long as it will handle the weight while towing.
Been looking around Craig's list for a few week but haven't found anything yet. Most of the trucks I have found are already lifted and look to have been driven pretty hard. I'd consider one that was somewhat build but not looking for the pro comp lift with blocks in the rear.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I need to check while shopping? How many miles should I consider? Haven't seen much with under 130k which for a mid 90's truck isn't bad I guess? If the motor and trans are maintained how many miles will the average last?
Besides the leaking rear main seal anything else to check?
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: New member with questions

Post by dtbback »

If I were you I'd get a 95 5.8l with factory tow package. These are already wired for trailer brakes and have a factory trans cooler. My 96 has the factory tow package and doesn't struggle a bit towing my 4-5k pound boat with the AC blasting, while driving through the desert on my way to Havasu. Also because I tow really conservatively I get 14 mpg. One tank to Havasu and then one tank home.

The reason I say a 95 is because the engine tuning system is much simpler vs a 96. I wish I knew this fact before I had bought my 96. because of that I know have 3 O2 sensors deal with.

Make sure the AC system works. Had to get mine repair 2x to fix two separate problems.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Welcome to the site. (To what will said above) And well sort of... 95 is obd1 maf I believe and 96 is obd2 maf, all years previous to that are obd1 speed density sensor intake vs maf. The maf is easier to tune I believe but I'm no expert on tuning.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Something like that anyway. I can't remember now. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

A Bronco would not be My first choice for a tow rig. In have towed plenty with mine over the years, short wheelbase and soft suspension have made for some exciting times.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Yikes tows his travel trailer like a champ with his.
Redgrom

Post by Redgrom »

Thanks for the tuning advice on the 05. I ember towing a little with my 06 and it was ok but my old 250 was much better. I am not towing much but I do understand there are better choices out there. Really just kind of miss having a v8 and always liked the Broncos. Still lookin around trying to find one in good condition that fits the budget. Thanks again!
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

No problem and I am sorry that I forgot to say welcome. So WELCOME! I just really felt like sharing my experience and thoughts on your question. I think my bronco tows really well for my needs. IIRC it has a towing capacity of 6k with the factory tow package. Just make sure you check in front of the radiator for the factory trans cooler and in the rear for the factory 7 pin plug. I wouldn't buy a bronco, even if it was within budget, without the factory tow package. If your Tacoma is under 6k pounds then I would feel okay towing it on a trailer that had brakes. I'd still putt along between 50-55 mph with at least 5 TRUCK lengths between me and the next vehicle just for good measure. I mean you're already going slower cause your towing; so why not just crank up the tunes and cruise nice and easy!

I am going to be redoing my brake system when I do my 9 inch w/disc brakes swap. So I think that will help alleviate any of my stopping concerns. Although having a17" wheel with some larger rotors all the way around will be a big improvement. But, that means buying new wheels and tires for me. But, we'll see lol
Redgrom

Post by Redgrom »

Another good point about the tow package. Glad I found this forum because I would not have thought about the trans cooler. Still looking for a truck but kinda figure it will take some time to find the right truck. Another question is how many miles would you be comfortable with? I Understand they are quickly reaching 20+ years old so have to expect a few miles. Also safe to say a rebuild on a 351 would be about $5k installed? Just trying to figure out if the few I have found with motor or trans issues are worth looking at and rebuilding?
Still learning the forum so sorry if I'm posting questions in the wrong area.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Due to their age, anything that is below 100k, that dosnt leak oil and passes smog is aok in my book.
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

X2
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Even if it's over 100k it's ok just do your best to look for tweeker-ized wiring, or anything else that looks fishy. Nearly everyone I know isn't rich and annual trade ins aren't a reality, that being said every one I know with a ford has put lots of miles on them. I recently sold my last f150 with 200k on it to a friend and she has since put nearly another 50k on it. The point is you can get a feel for a vehicle and how it was maintained by things like red silicon as gasket sealer, rounded off bolt heads, leaks, knocks, odors, and generally testing out all the cars functions. Most reputable mechanics have the right tool for the job and evidence of vise grips and pliers can be seen a mile away. Spend 1/2 hour with the car if it's one you are very serious about it. That half hour spent may save you a lot of money. There's lots of deals out there, and make sure you lowball lol. Good luck.
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

You couldn't have asked for better advise.
gride
Bronco Info: 1993 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer

Post by gride »

My bronco had 213xxx on it when I bought it. It runs great, doesn't leak oil and passed smog easily. It's all on how the previous owner took care of it. It does need a tune up and a new steering box but was still a good buy.

Be picky and don't settle.
Redgrom

Post by Redgrom »

May have found one! Going to check it out this weekend. It's in a little better cosmetic shape then I require and is a few $$ over budget but if its as good as the owner says it might be worth the extra$$$