Old Donkeys in the Old Pueblo

Well? Who are you?
Mesozoic
Bronco Info: '79 Bronco: 408C-ZF5-NP205 SEFI-EDIS8; 4" lift, Dana 44/Ford 9" w/4.10s, locked

Old Donkeys in the Old Pueblo

Post by Mesozoic »

I'm a long time gearhead and have a large stable of functioning vehicles, mostly Fords, but some motorcycles too. I came across this site by chance after Googling something suspension related to Broncos, so here I am. My Dad was a mining engineer and eventually started his own mining company, for which he bought, used, abused, and traded in many 4x4s over the decades, but he never let go of his '79 Bronco and so I inherited it when he passed. I've wheeled it all over Arizona, Mexico, and Canada (BC region) and it's never let me down even though it's quite an old donkey (I affectionately call the Bronco my donkey). I'm quite happy that I've never let it go and have maintained it all these years although it's anything but stock at this stage.

Most of the wheeling I did in BC was low speed crawling, but there's more opportunity for speed in Arizona, so looking forward to doing that around the playas I've seen near Tucson. My Bronco is setup as follows:
  • Rebuilt 400M, but retrofitted with SEFI derived from late model Mustang injection (30 lb/hr injectors, 65mm TB, 70mm MAF, Lightning 351W lower mated via Price Motorsports adapters), long tube headers, Walbro 190 lph fuel pump, distributorless ignition via EDIS8 coil packs, EEC-IV computer tuned with a TwEECer RT.
  • Beefened C6 with additional cooling and freshened up NP205, custom made driveshafts, built up Ford 9" (stock 31-spline) w/4.11 gears and LS, stock front Dana 44 HP w/4.10 gears and locker, Superwinch front hubs.
  • 3G alternator upgrade, dual Contour cooling fans, HID headlamps, oil cooler w/electric fan, aux lighting.
  • 4" lift via Skyjacker progressive rate coils in front, custom built rear springs to match, Bilstein 5165 remote reservoir shocks on all 4 corners, Trail Proof draglink & tie rod w/Stage 2 rod ends (from Bullet Proof Steering), Superlift adjustable track bar, Pro Comp dual stabilizers, stock brakes, 15" wheels, 35" rubber.
  • Stock skid plates, custom rear bumper, needs a front bumper (wife ran over a fire hydrant with the old one).
Looking forward to wheeling soon, done a lot of steering and shock upgrades recently!
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: Old Donkeys in the Old Pueblo

Post by dtbback »

Welcome!! Can't wait to see pics!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Ditto! Sounds like a cool ride with a great story to go with it. Welcome to GFB!
Hauls Assington
Bronco Info: Under Construction

Post by Hauls Assington »

Sounds awesome! I cant wait to see pics of that motor!
Mesozoic
Bronco Info: '79 Bronco: 408C-ZF5-NP205 SEFI-EDIS8; 4" lift, Dana 44/Ford 9" w/4.10s, locked

Post by Mesozoic »

My Bronco looks to be mostly stock on the surface, but it really is deceiving. Here's a shot of it sans front bumper although I've got a Hefty Fab unit on order.

Here's the injected 400M. I recently switched to full electric cooling fans for everything. Using a late model Contour dual electric fan assembly, I've got my low speed wired up to a thermoswitch and the high speed computer controlled by the EEC-IV. Thermoswitch control for the engine oil cooler fan as well. Most people swap a big block Ford 385-series engine into a '78-79 Bronco, but my 400M (now 408) makes more than enough torque and does so without all the additional weight of the big block and is far more efficient on fuel.
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Very nice! That's the coolest looking 400 I've ever seen!

Todd Z.
Mesozoic

Post by Mesozoic »

Thanks, but it's really function over form. I could care less what it looks like as long as it's as reliable and durable as possible, which is precisely why it looks the way it does.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Welcome!
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Nice
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Nice Job. I am with you on the function over form. Durability and reliability are the way to go when you are a 100 miles from the nearest paved road.