New from NM...

Well? Who are you?
Pwerwagn
Bronco Info: 95 ranger 1450 lots of giant parts

New from NM...

Post by Pwerwagn »

Hey guys. Long time lurker, recently signed up. Had a bronco in the past, now I want another. I currently have a 1450 that got replaced with a 7200 so I'd like a decently built bronco in place of the 1450.
Also have a built 04 cummins with glass, suspension, etc and I'm in the middle of a mild prerunner build with a cummins converted 79 ramcharger.

Jeff
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: New from NM...

Post by SteveG »

Welcome! Make a thread on the Ramcharger. They're almost as cool as Broncos!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

agreed on posting a build thread on the ramcharger. Those are cool. As are cummins swaps. What cummins motor is going in? 12v, 24v, common rail? I know the things practically bolt in to the ramchargers so maybe a 12v for ease of swap?
Pwerwagn

Post by Pwerwagn »

Sorry guys, I didnt see your replys.

Theres a few threads floating around about the RC build. RCC, TDR, etc. I might start a thread and paste what I have over there. Its evolving into a simple build. I originally had much bigger plans for it to use it as a pre runner instead of the 3rd gen dodge, but since we got another 7200 truck I am going to either sell the current 1450 and buy a bronco, or trade for something similar. So the ramcharger is going to end up more mild. Something I can drive daily yet still wheel a little if I want.

Its a 12V, VE pump. Auto/205. Eventually it will get a 7100 swap. I love 12v's...ive had numerous versions over the years. I love my common rail as well, but the simplicity of the 12V just cant be beat. The 12V in this RC I actually built for a guy about 8-10 years ago. I had don morrison build some injectors for it, joe donnelly and I tuned the pump/fuel pin work, etc. It made ~280 at the wheels when the previous owner had it, with a stock h1c with an 18 cm housing, and stock gov springs. I have a super 40 wheel on a hx35 frame with a 14cm wg housing, and gov springs now. So it should make a little more, in the 300's at least. I put 4.56's in the 60/14 bolt so it should run good enough with the 37's.

Anyhow...thanks for the welcome!

--Jeff
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

What auto is it if you've got gearing that low with only 37's? 47rh? Also safe to assume they are the 4k gov springs vs. the 3k?
My buddy's got a VE pump 12v in his '75 F series with 3.73's and 37's and he says the gearing is perfect for what he does (it's his DD & tow rig). I've got 3.73's in my truck with 35's and the NV4005 and I'm a bit worried the RPM's might get a bit higher than I'd like on the freeway.
Pwerwagn

Post by Pwerwagn »

Its the A518. 0.69 od, non lockup. I put 3200's in it (VE's use different springs than 7100's...not your typical 3K or 4K choice). A 14cm holset housing is pretty useless past 3200. I had one on a 913 pumped 12V that made ~540 at the wheels...but anything past ~2800-2900 EGT was uncontrollable and the turbo only lasted about 25K miles. Porting the housing, opening up the wg, running a stronger actuator, and splitting the divider to gate all 6 helps...but its still a small housing. They spool great though.

I've had a few combos of cummins, tran's, and tires/gearing.
My current 04 is 3.73/auto (.69) with 37's. Its great empty, and up to about ~8Klbs...much over that you have to milk it. I tow ~16K with it quite frequently and at high altitudes and its terrible. I literally NEVER use OD when towing over 10K with it. EGT's skyrocket, even with a better turbo, decent tuning and air mods.
Also had an 04 with the 5600 (nearly the same od as your nv4500), with 3.73 and 37's and I liked it much better towing.
My 98 with the 4500 and 3.55's I actually preferred 35's on it. But I towed a lot and heavy with it also.

Part of the reason for me going 4.56 with the RC is I would eventually like to run 40's. But also, the 205 only has a 1.96:1 low range, vs the typical 2.72. So 4.56's will help me there too. I put the 4.56's in it when i was planning more for prerunner than the mild build it will be getting. Had I realized it was gonna end up where it is, I would have left the 3.55's in it. And I still might swap them back after I get some miles on it and see how I like it.

What truck with 3.73's and a 4500 do you have? A swap?

--Jeff
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Good to know on gears.

Seems like you've done this a time or 3. I may pick your brain on turbos. I'm not going for big power, but if there's a reasonable upgrade for my HX35 that won't break the bank I may go for it.

And yes, mine's a swap
0521131844a.jpg
0521131844a.jpg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 573 times

Build thread is here although I have a young baby so progress has slowed a lot. I am still working on it, just slacking at posting updates here. I keep more up to date with the thread on FTE (ford-trucks.com)
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... f=19&t=392
Pwerwagn

Post by Pwerwagn »

Cool looking truck! I dig old crew's. I actually was going to build an 84 crew dodge with a 12V, but ended up going the ramcharger route instead. I know how that goes with kids...I have 3 young boys from 2yrs to 7yrs...

As far as turbos go, if your swap is a VE, just changing housings is a huge benefit, almost necessary. Just swapping to a 12cm wg will make big differences in spool and smoke. There are numerous compressor wheels upgrades that help alot, especially at my altitude. Closer to sea level they might not be as big of a change because you are likely still inside the map on PR at boost pressures that matter. Up here (~5500ft and up), you get out of the map quick.

The unfortunate thing is, once you by a comp wheel and housing, and then turbine housing...you are typically at least half way to a decent schwitzer upgrade. The other nice upgrade on a VE is an HE351CW. Quicker spool, and a super 40 wheel. its a good bang for the buck turbo if your H1c is high mileage.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thank for the info.

I LOOOOVE these old 70's trucks!

My truck has a 7100 p pump motor in it currently. I have a VE (with H1-C on it) that was going to go in but went to the p-pump instead. turbo is the HX-35 I believe. I remember reading a long while back that the HX35 is a nice upgrade for the H1-C, but I haven't kept up with what the "budget" upgrades are for the p-pump motors and the HX35
Hauls Assington
Bronco Info: Under Construction

Post by Hauls Assington »

Welcome, im in las cruces, good to see NM people on here!