Newb from San Diego

Well? Who are you?
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: Newb from San Diego

Post by Rmc »

My vote is overdrive regardless. 95's are good, I believe the 95 in 351 is non mass airflow. The speed density sensor versions are harder to tune if you do engine mods. Shoot for a 96 in 351 or 94+ in 5.0 due to maf engines. The computers adjustment range on the speed density is only so large so a custom remap and tune may be necisary if you swap heads, cam ect. The 351 guys know a lot more about it than I do though but it's just food for thought for you or at bare minimum something to ask more questions about.
birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Post by birdco85 »

Thanks RMC. Engine mods, if any, are WAAAYYYY in the future. I'd prefer MAF but I can deal with either. I thought some 95 5.8 had MAF but I could be wrong, my wife tells me I am all the time.

Hey RMC, how come no thread updates in months??? I like watching your build.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Bought that bug I was building been working on it a bit, been machining parts for those knuckles, fixed a cracked manifold the other day, and yesterday was the first time I've touched the bronco in a month or more. Figured I needed a break from it. If I don't bounce around I focus too much on the details and get pissed and want to redo it. Pretty quick I'll tear into it agian, I've got a list of crap I'm wanting to get done on it ( bronco I mean)
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

And I do worry about the e4od in the sand. I would put a valve body and a better torque convertor in it though. I know they have heat issues. That's why I have been wanting to get the c6. Same-ish internals but manual VB and less heat.

I got the guy to 650 for the beat up one but now I'm not sure. I can take a lot of parts off of it for future but if a c6 isn't a worthwhile upgrade then why bother???

I value everyone's opinion and I know I'm asking the same question over and over but I get so many different answers.

It's mainly going to be off road or a run around vehicle. Not a dd. ahhhhh!!!!!!! I'm gonna lose it haha sorry everyone.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

The issue with the c6 is rpm's on the highway. So mix the 3 speed with lack of horse power your faced with 2 choices: gear low and get something with overdrive, or c6 and gear high to keep gas mileage under control but you'll need more hp to carry it. That's how I see it anyway.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Just add a big cooler and be done with it. I ran the sand a lot with my e4od and with a big cooler with fan my gauge it never ran over 200 degrees.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Everyone continues to give out incorrect info.

95 5.8 in California has MAF.... I had one.
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

That's what I thought but it could be an out of state transfer. I need to go see it.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Sorry for the confusion Andy that's why I was saying I think 95 was the changeover but I wasn't sure. This is my 2nd or 3rd 5.0 version so that's about all I'm certain of.
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

Well I was gonna go see it today but he said after he got it smogged it wouldn't start. I tried to help him troubleshoot it over the phone but he's not very mechanically inclined, or so it seems. He had it towed to the dealer for diagnosis but he's gonna call me before anything is done so I can take it and save him the money. I offered him 2k as is but he declined. I'm sure it's the CPS, and highly unlikely the PCM. So tomorrow will tell.

I tried to get him to send me a pic of the engine compartment, the air box specifically, to see if it had one or two hoses entering to tell if it's map or MAF but he didn't have one.

I have the old tranny cooler from my PSD that was aftermarket and much bigger so I will throw that on first thing and put a gauge on. Then I'm gonna order the solo basic C&T kit and some rear shocks til there is more money in the bank.

Getting excited.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

For the $650 one - I'd say just tell him you'll pass if it's as rusty as you say. Reality of it is these things are old and can be hard to smog. Many people seem to have them just sitting around, so finding one running/driving for cheap can't be that hard. I got this one for $500 and it drove into my shop to its demise...
0 005.jpg
0 005.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 629 times
It was an '86 Eddie bauer. Full power, AC, all the creature comforts, but also the carbed 351w, a c6 & a 9"

I then got this one for $400. It was an '87 with AOD and a 5.0.
Side note/personal opinion - avoid the AOD like the plague. They are worse than the E4OD for cheat issues.
x 005.jpg
x 005.jpg (79.92 KiB) Viewed 629 times
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

It's definitely rusty. I'll wait for and 80-86 for the 9". The rust has gone through the gutters into the cab and the a pillars are rusted through to the cab. Plus the tailgate rust. And everything is leaking so everything will need rebuilt so im just gonna pass on it.

I appreciate the knowledge guys. It helps a ton.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

If you're gonna wait, maybe see about an 80 or 81 to get the bolt on axle for the front that comes in those too.

Stuff is out there, you just gotta be a little patient. Easier said than done though as I always buy stuff & see something that would have better fit my needs a week or 2 later, and for less...
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

I think I'm gonna shoot for a newer one for now. Try to get the best price available. I want it semi nice.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Rmc wrote:Sorry for the confusion Andy that's why I was saying I think 95 was the changeover but I wasn't sure. This is my 2nd or 3rd 5.0 version so that's about all I'm certain of.
No worries !! Having "California" models with different set ups doesn't help. Haha
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Very true.
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

My 95 is MAF and OBD1
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

Well the guy with the 95 texted me and said the bronco started right up for techs at the dealer. My guess is the CPS still. Any other thoughts? The one in my truck was real intermittent.
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409795825.661952.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409795825.661952.jpg (239.96 KiB) Viewed 577 times
And so it begins. 95 5.8 MAF engine. E4OD. 132,000 miles. Clean as can be. Paint has some imperfections but from what I can tell it is rust free. Has been really well taken care of. New BFG A/T's. Stock alcoas. Leather inside but torn on the seat bottoms. Electric transfer case which in too excited about but it works fine. T has an airbag which I will be getting rid of.

Only thing is it howls something fierce in the rear end. Wasn't sure if it's wheel bearings or the carrier. I took the fill plug out and started topping it off, it took 1.75 quarts [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. Then I found out it was a limited slip so I need to go buy friction modifier. The sound didn't go away but it's a little better. If I'm coasting but touch the gas a little bit the sound goes away. If I coast it's there and if in inder power it's there. Gets worse the faster I go. Any ideas? I'll start searching too.
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

No scratches either. The marks in the picture are from my son and I already hitting a trail. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]