ISO Bronco

ArizonaKevin
Bronco Info: Currently shopping for Bronco prerunner

ISO Bronco

Post by ArizonaKevin »

Looking for a clean bronco with some quality mods done to it for a reasonable price. Not looking for something completely built with cage/big motor/4 corner bypasses etc just something around a solo stage 2 build that is overall in good shape.

Preferably with a manual TCase so I can flat tow.

Please text me at 480-688-3143 with any leads. Motivated buyer.
toddz69

Re: ISO Bronco

Post by toddz69 »

Price range?

Todd Z.
ArizonaKevin

Post by ArizonaKevin »

toddz69 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:03 am
Price range?

Todd Z.
I want to try to avoid putting my budget out on the forum to avoid someone with a clapped POS trying to get me to buy their truck for my max budget if that makes sense, happy to tell you 1:1 what I am willing to spend over text.

I am trying to keep my "want list" on mods realistic with my budget, I would certainly love a truck with stage 4+ but accept that is probably out of my price range.
biggiek
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Post by biggiek »

I'm in the east valley and have seen a couple nice ones listed with the basics on facebook here. Race desert had a couple nice ones as well in the so cal arwa.
ArizonaKevin

Post by ArizonaKevin »

Anyone have input on this one https://yuma.craigslist.org/cto/d/yuma- ... 04727.html

I know comparing a Skyjacker to some of the cut and turned stuff is very apples and oranges, but thinking it may be a good starting point to slowly accumulate parts over time. Bonus, it's already set up to flat tow and will include the tow bar.
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

ArizonaKevin wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:14 am
Anyone have input on this one https://yuma.craigslist.org/cto/d/yuma- ... 04727.html

I know comparing a Skyjacker to some of the cut and turned stuff is very apples and oranges, but thinking it may be a good starting point to slowly accumulate parts over time. Bonus, it's already set up to flat tow and will include the tow bar.
That seems like a great price for what it appears to be!

Todd Z.
ArizonaKevin

Post by ArizonaKevin »

toddz69 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:33 am
ArizonaKevin wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:14 am

That seems like a great price for what it appears to be!

Todd Z.
So the skyjacker kit isn't entirely terrible?
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

I wouldn’t call it terrible. The Rancho kit that came out in 1989 was a huge step forward and kits like the Skyjacker are in the same realm. They’re better than stock for off road use with the extended arms etc. For more hardcore use you’ll want one of the cut and turn setups with better shocks etc.
ArizonaKevin

Post by ArizonaKevin »

toddz69 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:58 am
I wouldn’t call it terrible. The Rancho kit that came out in 1989 was a huge step forward and kits like the Skyjacker are in the same realm. They’re better than stock for off road use with the extended arms etc. For more hardcore use you’ll want one of the cut and turn setups with better shocks etc.
Good to know, this is my first foray into the world of beams and my prior experience in AArm trucks is that skyjacker stuff sucks. Sounds like it's serviceable with intelligent driving and trail choice while I can accumulate the better parts. Let's see if I can make a deal. Appreciate the input
ArizonaKevin

Post by ArizonaKevin »

toddz69 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:58 am
Good to know, this is my first foray into the world of beams and my prior experience in AArm trucks is that skyjacker stuff sucks. Sounds like it's serviceable with intelligent driving and trail choice while I can accumulate the better parts. Let's see if I can make a deal. Appreciate the input
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

The issue most people have with the skyjacker/rancho or similar kits is they use drop brackets to lower the beam mounting point vs. the cut and turn on the beam end to correct camber while lifting. The 4-6 added length of the beam mount drop brackets (and radius arm brackets if the kit in question drops the radius arms too vs. coming with a longer radius arm instead) makes those brackets see a lot of force or added lever arm. Hardcore off roading can bend or crack these drop brackets. With some extra gusseting the brackets are just fine. Heck Geoff at Giant sells drop beam mounts. His tie into the frame in a few more places than the rancho stuff though. Oh and Brian had (has??) rancho drop brackets on the Yeti that he reinforced and he drives like an animal.

So the skyjacker kit is probably fine to start if the rest of the truck is a good deal. Just understand the reasoning behind why people say it sucks (usually internet band wagonism!!) and know the limitations. If it's a 4" kit on the truck you may be able to add some strength to the drop brackets for the beams and run them for a long time.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Just clicked on the link and saw the truck with the skyjacker and that it's a 6" kit. Not the end of the world, but 6" does put more leverage on the beams mounts than 4" just due to the extra length of the beam brackets.

Here's a link to the Giant beam mounts to get an idea on how people add extra support/gusseting to these.
https://giantmotorsports.com/index.php/ ... am-pivots/
ArizonaKevin

Post by ArizonaKevin »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:48 pm
Just clicked on the link and saw the truck with the skyjacker and that it's a 6" kit. Not the end of the world, but 6" does put more leverage on the beams mounts than 4" just due to the extra length of the beam brackets.

Here's a link to the Giant beam mounts to get an idea on how people add extra support/gusseting to these.
https://giantmotorsports.com/index.php/ ... am-pivots/
Would a good starting point be to replace the skyjacker drop brackets with the giant ones?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Not really. The Giant drop brackets are for 4" lift, whereas the skyjacker are 6". You'd probably need new coils as well as I'd bet you don't have enough room in the alignment cam to correct the camber with a 6" lift coil and 4" beam drop bracket.

Get the truck and drive it for a bit, see if it needs anything and put money there. If not THEN decide on suspension. Realistically for most people out there the skyjacker kit is fine. Now if you are regularly chasing, prerunning or just hit the desert and beat the piss out of the truck a lot then it may make sense to change it out. If it were me buying the truck wheels and tires would be where I spent any immediate money. The wheels look like 15x10's to me and are more of the mud truck wide tire/wheel look that I'm just personally not a fan of. 35's on stock alcoas or even the Outlaw II looking stock wheels on these trucks just look SOOOOO clean to me.
ArizonaKevin

Post by ArizonaKevin »

Going to try to make a deal on that black one but keep recommendations coming
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

This one is a lot more $ but it's extremely well built:

https://classifieds.race-dezert.com/FOR ... 40k-180117

Todd Z.
ArizonaKevin

Post by ArizonaKevin »

toddz69 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:22 am
This one is a lot more $ but it's extremely well built:

https://classifieds.race-dezert.com/FOR ... 40k-180117

Todd Z.
Yeah I would love to pull the trigger on something like that, just considerably more than I am waning to spend.

This one is closer to what I am hoping to spend, but still a little too much for what the wife has given the green light on

https://str8uptoytrader.com/vehicle/199 ... ming-soon/
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

If that last one is a "little" too much mover your budget I'd be seeing how negotiable the guy is. That thing is leaps and bounds a better starting point than the 1st and very easily has the price difference in parts already installed. Heck suspension upgrades and then wheels and tires could hit $5k in a heartbeat on the 1st truck and then you're almost 3/4 of the way to the price of the second assuming you can talk him down a bit.
I know it's in CA vs. AZ, but a plane ticket from Phoenix to OC airport is cheap and the drive back isn't bad. Easily done in a weekend trip to fly here and drive back.
ArizonaKevin

Post by ArizonaKevin »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:33 am
If that last one is a "little" too much mover your budget I'd be seeing how negotiable the guy is. That thing is leaps and bounds a better starting point than the 1st and very easily has the price difference in parts already installed. Heck suspension upgrades and then wheels and tires could hit $5k in a heartbeat on the 1st truck and then you're almost 3/4 of the way to the price of the second assuming you can talk him down a bit.
I know it's in CA vs. AZ, but a plane ticket from Phoenix to OC airport is cheap and the drive back isn't bad. Easily done in a weekend trip to fly here and drive back.
A little might not have been the correct word choice, I'm at 16-18ish
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Got it. Still, you never know. A nicely worded email noting you're not trying to lowball and you know numbers are a bit off, but $16-18 was your budget and to let you know if he gets to a point where your numbers may come into alignment. Worst thing he can say is no and if your at least polite in the way you bring it up he shouldn't be offended or pissy and may just say he can keep you posted if it doesn't sell at what he wants.