WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating

XLR8
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XL

Post by XLR8 »

SO i've been trying to buy a Grant 5275 or a MOMO steering wheel adapter since December. I have open orders at three places online and for some reason Grant nor MOMO hasn't made any of these all damn year. These 3 vendors call me monthly asking if i want to keep the order open....i'm like well yeah until i get the part leave it open but no one has any. Got a very nice Momo wheel sitting here since Xmas and no way to mount.

So GD frustrating. I might just have a mount made, might be faster at this point.

Anyone have a line on an adapter i can buy?
sgerber
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco 351w MAF , Desolate Motorsports suspension

Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating

Post by sgerber »

Weld on a Sweet Mfg quick release.
XLR8

Post by XLR8 »

sgerber wrote:Weld on a Sweet Mfg quick release.
Thanks, i just found those online like 30 mins ago. so weld that sucker on and i'm good to go?
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

https://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/5275/10002/-1

Jegs says it will ship 5/23? No way to know how they know that lol
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yes weld it on and you have the standard racing 3 hole pattern there. You can then adapt to the momo/sparco or whatever pattern easily.

On a side note, what momo adapter are you looking for (part/model #)? I have one here I'm not using right away but I'd need a guaranteed replacement for it. I used to have one of the 92-95 and then another of the 96 if I'm remembering the year breakdown correctly. Can't remember which I have here though now, or where in my hoard it is stashed either though.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
XLR8

Post by XLR8 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Yes weld it on and you have the standard racing 3 hole pattern there. You can then adapt to the momo/sparco or whatever pattern easily.

On a side note, what momo adapter are you looking for (part/model #)? I have one here I'm not using right away but I'd need a guaranteed replacement for it. I used to have one of the 92-95 and then another of the 96 if I'm remembering the year breakdown correctly. Can't remember which I have here though now, or where in my hoard it is stashed either though.
Thanks man, it's the 3/4" shaft right? I think after looking at this and knowing a bit how these things work with race cars i'd rather have the weld on. Not sure why i didn't try and search for something like this in the first place. Most of the Grant stuff is junk and the Momo kit is pretty simple as well. I think i'll order the 3/4" 6 bolt one for the Momo wheel but since i want to keep my horn i'll need to make sure i leave enough wire in place in case some idiot pulls the wheel off.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

If I remember right it is the 3/4" shaft. Been a long time though so don't hold me to that. As far as I remember there is a writeup on here somewhere with pictures of someone adding one. I think it was Matt/Vintageiron Fab in his Marilyn (F-150) project maybe?? You may have to cut the steering shaft down to do it. Can't recall for sure.
sgerber
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco 351w MAF , Desolate Motorsports suspension

Post by sgerber »

XLR8 wrote:
Thanks, i just found those online like 30 mins ago. so weld that sucker on and i'm good to go?
You have to make a piece to adapt it still. the shaft on the bronco is to short so you cant just slide the new splined piece over and weld it or your wheel would be to close to the dash.
I cut a piece of 3/4 DOM about 3" long or so and tapped it to M10 same thread as the shaft on the bronco then i screwed a piece of all thread into the tube and welded it flush on one end and left about 3/4" sticking out the other end. Then i screwed this into the bronco steering shaft and welded around it. Then slide the new splined piece on and welded flush with the end and did a rosette weld on the back side onto the steering shaft, if that all makes sense.
XLR8

Post by XLR8 »

sgerber wrote:
XLR8 wrote:
You have to make a piece to adapt it still. the shaft on the bronco is to short so you cant just slide the new splined piece over and weld it or your wheel would be to close to the dash.
I cut a piece of 3/4 DOM about 3" long or so and tapped it to M10 same thread as the shaft on the bronco then i screwed a piece of all thread into the tube and welded it flush on one end and left about 3/4" sticking out the other end. Then i screwed this into the bronco steering shaft and welded around it. Then slide the new splined piece on and welded flush with the end and did a rosette weld on the back side onto the steering shaft, if that all makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense. I have some spacers that go between the wheel and quick disconnect as well i can use to get it to the right spacing. My column feels a bit worn and the shifter isn't the most secure so might rebuild it as well while i'm in there. Everything from the firewall to the wheels has been redone already. Thanks
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

MOMO 4535 - just search on EBay - they are all over.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
XLR8

Post by XLR8 »

VintageIronFab wrote:MOMO 4535 - just search on EBay - they are all over.
Well sort of. There seem to be 3 models for 90's Broncos and the one for a 95 seems hard to find and isn't being made currently.
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

Go to eBay —Type in momo 4535 and it comes up immediately

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

I see how it’s listed but there isn’t a column difference in any of the 92-96 Fseries or Broncos.

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Matt - there are most definitely 2 different hubs offered for the 92-96 broncos/F-150's. I've had both, and still have one of the 2. I forget what the part number is aside from the 4535 now, but I seem to remember holding both side by side and seeing a slight difference in the spline area. It's been years now & I can't recall for sure. Interesting that there isn't a column difference
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

I’d bet this then- if there’s a spline oddity then I bet the chances of having the odd spline is unlikely- I’d bet the 4535 is the one virtually everyone has.

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

Hit up Tanner on here. He has the stretched white Bronco. He made this for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

It screws into the column. Then you rosette weld it and put a bead at the top and bottom.

eoffroader
Bronco Info: 1994 bronco 4.5 beams bilstein c/o behind the beam rad arms 456 front and rear f53 deavers blue inte

Post by eoffroader »

Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

eoffroader wrote:Here's what I ordered https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/ca ... TEERINGACC
I have the sweet mfg one. Tanner made a column that screws into the steering column. You then slide the splines over and weld. Works bitchin ! Image

eoffroader
Bronco Info: 1994 bronco 4.5 beams bilstein c/o behind the beam rad arms 456 front and rear f53 deavers blue inte

Post by eoffroader »

Andy Jones wrote:
eoffroader wrote:Here's what I ordered https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/ca ... TEERINGACC
I have the sweet mfg one. Tanner made a column that screws into the steering column. You then slide the splines over and weld. Works bitchin ! Image

I like the sound of that and I lost all the plastic a couple years ago I might just sheet metal it all around the column