MORE FREEDOM 250 July 17

Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

MORE FREEDOM 250 July 17

Post by Polarcub »

Well as usual for this race the weatehr was HOT! Thankfully with a bit of a breeze after the sun fell the night cooled considerably. Arrived on race day about 730am dropped the trailer and went for a lap in the bronco. The course bypassed the college hills area and we got to see some parts of the ocurse we dont normally run. THe bronco and I made a lap in an hour 15 without pushing. I was feeling confident at this point that we were in for some quick lap times.
My brother had the car out friday night for tech so I met up with him after my lap and then my dad and I went to the MORE trailer to get our wristbands and settle in for the long wait.
By race time at 6PM the temp was somewhere around 108 or so and Matt and I were strapped into the car and waiting our turn in line. We had the third slot for the swingers and we felt really good. Our tunr and off we go Matt picked a good line out of main down the leeft line and fell into a good rythym. We dropped one spot aroun MM2 but quickly regained third. Around MM 5 Matt found a good line and a nice off canter roller that sent us off the course and threatened to barrel roll us towards 247. Matt was able to save the car and we awere back on our way. By MM 10 we were in a battle for second place. By MM 20 we were able to pass and pull away. Lap 1 was 56 Min. Lap 2 was moving along well and the third place car was not giving up. Cat and mouse racing yes! by about MM12 or so the firsst class ones were passing us giving us more fun in the dust and then....
We pass CHASE A (Tony and company) and head into a tight sand wash canyon area. The third S tunr in the car dies....
No juice I hop out and can find nothing visually wrong, test light broke and battery showing no jouice. We by pass the cutoff switch as apre caution and attempt to push tstart the car. Seems like the no spark. We make the decision to start walking back on the course since we had no cell phone and no radio and the sun wa ssetting. About a 1/4 mile back we find the COPS Class 1 car and chase team making repairs. THye were kind enought to loan us jumper cables and their help on their way out if we couldnt get our chase team there. We borrowed their radio to relay a message to the pits and made our way back to the car. THe wait was short as Chase A was their in about 15 min. With a multi meter and some good thinking they were able to figure out the rear light panel shorted us out. So we disconnect it jump the battery and off we go. Matt lays down a nice pace and we settle back into the rythym. THinking we were back on track we both were feeling better as the field of cars was dwindling quick. As we make our stop at start finish the unthinkable happens the car dies again :x Out of the car I go as I run down to our pits about 8/10th of a mile down the course. I get there and I am able to dispatch folks to pull the car in. THe car comes in and thanks to a loaner we swap batteries out with a rhino, take gas and a cell phone and are on our way again. We have now lost about 2 hours 9in down time and we are fighting th eurge to push the car to the limits....Quickly we relaize that something wron the rear end is soft and out of shape and Matts having to manhandle the car it does not want to turn. We radio ahead to chase A to set up for a torsion bar adjustment and a front end check and nurse the car into chase A pits. TOney and crew were ready as the start the torsion adjustment its noticed that something is wrong. One of the two adjusters is missing :o . Matt hops out of the car to take a look meanwhile the front end needs the right ball joint replaced. Out comes the spares and the ball joint is changed. The adjusters on the torsion bar stripped out even if we found/had one it does us no good. After some debate we decide to limp the car around to finish the lap. Matt did a great job of keeping us moving at a reasonable pace considering the circumstances. During this time we debated on trying to complete one more lap but the decision was made that the risk of destroying the car was not worth the points. As we came into start finish we were able to move up on place by passing anotehr 9 car that was limping in. FInal results were a fifth place finish. What a great day despite the problems once again the help form Tony and crew and the folks in Main and the Martee and TuT racing teams was much appreciated. We couldnt do it without you!

Also got a chance to see Philofab before the race and shott the breeze. Thanks again for stopping in. Hope we will be back at it again soon.
Jeremy
randomthoughtsracing

Re: MORE FREEDOM 250 July 17

Post by randomthoughtsracing »

Camped with the KAL Off Road class 3 team for the weekend. Congrats on the win!

Great to see the Bronco's out in force at this race!

Thanks to everyone who stopped by the Bilstein trailer to say hi.
Attachments
IMG_3714web.jpg
IMG_3714web.jpg (114.77 KiB) Viewed 522 times
IMG_3709web.jpg
IMG_3709web.jpg (187.97 KiB) Viewed 522 times
IMG_3701web.jpg
IMG_3701web.jpg (153.35 KiB) Viewed 522 times