2 GFB's make the full pull

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Here at HPR for a second night waiting for Jim & Paige's Bronco to arrive on the transporter, but all went well with minor issue for 2 Broncos pounding the dirt all the way to Cabo:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/2015-Run ... 0544940509
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: 2 GFB's make the full pull

Post by tcm glx »

Fantastic Jim, glad to hear things went well. What were the two minor issues?
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

We lost the electric radiator fan literally pulling into BOLA Tony. I was so pissed because it was one of those Curry things I wanted to bring spare for and flat ran out of time to research the Ford (not Bronco) it came out of to get the spare. Pablo and Jose rounded up a generic 16" electric fan right there in the tiny town and I made it work, knowing it was going to pull half the air at best of the Ford piece.

With the engine now having some cooling issues, we had the Bronco put itself into limp mode from the heat during the second half of the long day into Scorpion Bay. Luckily one of our crew knew to shut it down and disconnect the batteries for reset. This worked but had to be done multiple times, so we ran behind everyone else to the pig roast. No matter since the pig was on the plate and the margaritas were in the glass when we pulled up to Juan y Juans.

White Bronco Andrew suggested we change the fuel pump and we did in the morning. That helped a bunch and seemed to keep it out of limp mode which I bet Andrew about and paid him in tequila when we got to Cabo. By happenstance Andrew's gas tank started leaking at the pump o-ring the same morning.....funny to have side by side Broncos with simultaneous fuel tank surgery that day.

Other than that it was a great run even though we had to be careful of the deep sand with the weakened cooling. We learned three basic things:
1) Jim & Paige's Bronco is damn tough and works pretty damn good in some nasty terrain and race course for miles. We're very pleased with it's survival.
2) Anything other than bonafide race tires should never be considered for a trip like this. As much as I'll still consider something more basic for local runs, we were glad to be on the GSA's every day as we flew through the rock gardens without ever lifting. I'll be sad when they're worn out.
3) We need more power, plain and simple. Keeping a 200HP 6,500 pound Bronco in the mix with serious prerunner buggies and trucks making at least triple that power was a feat. We'll have something with substantially more twist under the hood next year.

It was great to have another GFB, but we'd have liked to have more.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Regardless of the hangups, it sounds like a great time, Jim! Thanks for the updates.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Sounds awesome!