MORE lucerne race

retroblazer

MORE lucerne race

Post by retroblazer »

I was the co-driver in Bob Morton's Class 3 Kia Sportage this past Saturday. We were joined by two Fords, an EB and the ex-Pike, Stroppe built Explorer. I had no idea where I was going, but Bob had been out the day before with Greg Weirick(sp?) on his first drive, after buying the Bronco from Chris Wilson. We started in the middle, and had passed the EB approximately 20 miles out. We led until we were stopped with one rear flat, and the front almost flat, and one spare. We changed the rear, and limped into a pit four or five miles down course. The EB passed us, but the Explorer was out, apparently loosing the rear end, which is an independent set-up, after getting hit by a Class 5 car.
Speed is hard to judge in a race car at times, and I don't mean a simple mph check, but relative speed. The last time I rode in the Kia was the first time Bob raced in the 2010 Baja 1,000. Four years later, he has dialed things in and his wheeling skills have improved. I was impressed with the speed of the Kia in the rough. We were down 8 mins. at the start of the last lap. I didn't think that we would have a problem catching the EB, but we did. We finally caught the EB with less than 20 miles to go, but we found out afterwards that they had broken their rear leaf springs.
I can understand why they broke leaf springs, because it was really rough, and as fast as they must have been driving. My compliments to the driver.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: MORE lucerne race

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

That little KIA looked bitchen out there. Fast and smooth.