NORRA 1000 2014

Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: NORRA 1000 2014

Post by 300 »

Sorry, this is the broken pump gear:
Attachments
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (37.95 KiB) Viewed 891 times
Once A Ford
Bronco Info: Still in the wishing-for-a-Bronco stage. 'Til then, I adventure in an '11 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X .

Post by Once A Ford »

300 wrote:
MOSS2 wrote:
Norra wheres Waldo.JPG

Anybody know this guy? Sorry dude!!
DANG! This is where we were parked for a couple hours or so, 60 miles south of Bay of Los Angeles. The RDC camera guys stopped to take pictures only and wouldn't tow us out. We were promised that a sweep vehicle was coming but I think it was all just smoke because no one ever saw them. We finally got some guys in a Bronco to tow us for a few miles and then it overheated. Then we hooked up to one of Bruce Meyers (Mr. Manx) support/camera crews in a Toyota pickup and they towed us some 40 miles out to where Rick's truck was and then another 20 or 30 miles out to the highway, all on a very short tow strap. Along with the late start Monday morning, this all put us in Loreto at something like midnight local time. Even though we have done these roads many, many times, it is stunning the time and effort it takes to get down that skinny pavement with a trailer. There is a ton of additional details that went into the story that MOSS2 related above that we will get out here shortly, but be assured it was a monumental effort to get what we did done once the trans broke the first time. We didn't have another day's worth of trans work and another day's driving in us to catch back up to the race and do that last section.

A huge thanks to John, Rick and the rest of the crew for inviting Dan and I along. We still participated in a bunch of good times and had top notch accomodations at each stop. If you thought Rick was hooked before.................!

Dan and I cheated and flew back to San Diego yesterday afternoon and then I drove back to Sacramento. Dan's home ended up being about 100 yards from the edge of the Poinsettia fire in Carlsbad and they had just opened the road when we got there.
It was so great to finally put faces with all the screen names--and such great faces and personalities they are! This being only my second NORRA trip, I always love hearing how y'all fell in love with Baja--thanks for the stories!

Need Mas Baja!!!!

Oh and by the way, in case anyone ELSE was wondering, the rest of "Once A Ford" is "Always a Ford!" (A margarita or two in Ensenada might've distracted me from finishing that discussion... :lol: )
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

which hotel is that in Loreto? (the photo of the nice pool)?
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

baja-chris wrote:which hotel is that in Loreto? (the photo of the nice pool)?

El Moro. At the far end of the strip along the boardwalk/malecon ;)
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

I heard that bad fuel in Bay of LA could have played a roll in all the blown engines.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

We have fueled up the diesel at the newer station at the edge of town in from the northwest side. Never had a problem. Were the racers using pump gas from a pemex?
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

Lots of racers did use pemex gas during the race.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

PBR wrote:I heard that bad fuel in Bay of LA could have played a roll in all the blown engines.

A lot of people had issues out of BOLA. Jeff Furrier is getting the fuel tested as his motor was one of the ones that melted down.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Leaned out on a long open section? ????
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

Jeff got the fuel results and nothing bad in the fuel. He's scratching his head.
Wrightracing.net

I hate to say it but he probably wishes the gas was bad. Problem solves then. Those Los locos Gremlins are sneaky.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

PBR wrote:Jeff got the fuel results and nothing bad in the fuel. He's scratching his head.

Sucks to hear about the fact he can not find the gap, glad to hear it wasnt bad gas ..... hahaha
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

My Baja racing dream
As many of you know I was invited to join my friend John Ehmke from Autofab in the 2014 running of the Norra Mexican 1000. He entered his 1975 Ford F100 “spare parts truck” of Off Road magazine fame in the vintage open truck with rear leaf spring class. This year the race started in Ensenada Baja Mexico and the course ran the length of the Baja peninsula to San Jose Del Cabo in Baja Sur. The race is run rally style over four days with a total of over 1,300 miles. After chasing my Baja dream for over a decade this was to be the first time for me to actually get behind the wheel in the left seat and drive in my first Baja race.
Our team consisted of John Ehmke as driver of record. John is the owner of Autofab in Santee California and is the builder of the truck and me as co-driver along with my mentor Don Moss of the Moss Brothers Racing Team as another co-driver if needed. Don is the reigning class 3 Champion in the Score Desert Racing series and has eleven class championships and an amazing 44 class wins. All in just 13 years of racing in the desert. No one knows Baja better than Don.
Our chase team consisted of Dan Thunborg also from the Moss Brothers Racing team and my girlfriend Kelly Williams in my Ford Super duty as chase 1 and my friend Buck Ward and our new friend from Wisconsin Rob Anderson in Rob’s Suburban as chase 2.
We left San Diego on Saturday morning and arrived in Ensenada early for technical inspection. They closed the main street in front of the Riviera Cultural Center in downtown Ensenada and lined up all the entries for inspection. It is so cool seeing all the different vehicles entered in this race. While the event is geared towards vintage off road racers it has several classes called “evolution” classes for newer race vehicles. It makes for an interesting mix of vehicles to say the least. There were lots of our sports legends entered in the event like Walker Evans, Bob Gordon, Mark McMillian, Jimmy Smith, the Herbst Brothers, Curt Leduc and many more which really makes this race so special. This year’s Grand Marshall was none other than Rod Hall who has raced in every Baja 1000 from the very beginning in 1967 and has won the race 17 times in his carrier. It was so cool to talk with a legend and to be treated as an equal by such a humble man was truly an honor I won’t soon forget. I also ran into a few friends down to watch the race. It was great seeing my fellow Go Fast Bronco brothers Brian and Nick at tech and also David and Anna Cuevas who I had met at last year’s running of this event.
Well the truck passed inspection without a problem and we then headed to Estero Beach resort to check in to our rooms and finalize our race plans. We made our way back to the Theater at the Cultural center for the drivers meeting and the welcome fiesta to follow and retired for a good night’s rest as race starts early the next morning.
The race started with a ceremonial start back downtown in Ensenada followed by what is called a transit section down the highway to a small town called Santo Tomas where the race officially began. Because the race is run rally style the race organizer gives you a minimum time and a maximum time allowed to finish a transit section and we were careful to reach the official start line right on time to not incur any time penalties. John was behind the wheel and I was his navigator at the start. We started eighth in class out of 10 entered and we were officially on our way to Cabo. John did an awesome job of driving and we passed a few others in just a few miles and we settled into a nice pace. This was my first time navigating with a rally book and a GPS and I was quite busy trying to call out the hazards in the road book all while watching the GPS and the road ahead but it all started to come together and we were doing well. To add even more work we had a few speed zones thru some local villages and some paved roads where for safety our speeds were limited and tracked via a GPS powered tracking device that would record our speed and position and even some farm fields where speeds were lowered to not damage the farmer’s crops. All of these speed zones required me to continually call out our speed so we wouldn’t incur any penalties while still doing my navigating duties to boot. I was awfully busy but enjoying the ride for sure. The terrain varied from hard packed dirt roads to sandy beach areas and even some dreaded silt beds which are areas of fine dirt the consistency of talcum powder that seem to be bottomless but the big Ford 460 engine powered through without a problem until we reached a short dry wash crossing with steep sides that limited our momentum and we got stuck. Racing with Don in his class 3 Ford Bronco which is four wheel drive had me spoiled and this was a new experience for me but some helpful locals pulled us free with their big Dodge 4x4 and we were soon on our way again with only a little down time and we were now in third place in our class. The rest of the first stage was uneventful and we finally reached our crew in San Quintin where we refueled the race truck at a local Pemex station and Kelly refueled John and me with some sandwiches and some Gatorade before we took off in the next transit stage to Catavina. This was a long transit section down Mex highway 1 of just over 100 miles but we once again nailed our arrival time and now the real fun for me was to begin.
John and I switched seats and I took the wheel for my first time and John would do the navigating duties. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous but the butterflies soon subsided and I was racing toward Santa Rosalita. The first 30 or 40 miles were on graded hard packed dirt roads that twisted through the mountains toward the Pacific Ocean. I was taking it easy getting to know the truck but my confidence was building as we raced west and our pace just got faster. After 20 or so miles I could see another racer catching up and I did my best to keep ahead of the guy but they soon caught me and I pulled to the side in a wide spot to allow them to pass. I thought it was another truck in our class but it turned out to be a Dakar style special built rally truck and we retained our third place position in our class.
The one thing I learned in this section was I was a pretty good navigator as John soon grew frustrated with the rally book and threw it on the dash and gave up calling out any hazards so all I could do was drive what I saw and keep pressing on. We were still doing well and I got to make my first pass on another entry and as you can imagine my confidence was building and then it happened. More dreaded silt beds. The first two areas were short and the big engine in the F100 just powered thru but in the last silt bed I didn’t heasate and drove into it taking the center line and plowed in. We were doing all right for a while with dirt flying everywhere until we hit a spot where someone else had got stuck earlier in the race and we came to a stop. Tried to back up and try again but we were high centered on the rear differential and we were stuck big time. It’s easily over 100 degrees outside but we both climb out and start digging trying to free the truck. We dug for over a half hour and were tiring in the heat in our driving suits until a 4x4 Ultra 4 class competitor came along. Luckily we flagged him down and he agreed to pull us from the grips of the silt bed. With a roar and a cloud of dust he easily pulled us free from the silt and we were back on the course. That was the last of the silt now and I was hustling to make up the time we lost being stuck. The rest of the section went well with no problems and we finally reached the end of the stage in Santa Rosalita where Don, Dan and Kelly were waiting in chase 1 to dump enough fuel in our truck to make the next stop in the Bahia De Los Angles. I remember Kelly asking how I was and all I could say still covered in dirt from the silt bed was AWESOME and that I’d waited my whole life for this. I was grinning from ear to ear and I was on cloud nine. I finished my first section of dirt and I was eager for more.
The next section was a transit section from Santa Rosalita to the Bay of LA and we were off with me still driving and John was in the right seat for the ride. We once again nailed our arrival time at the end of the transit section and we were in 29th overall and still third in class. We we’re doing great and the truck was ready for more.
Because of the large field of entries and the small number of rooms available in the small town we planned on sleeping in what Norra calls the ‘Tent City” but fortunately we were invited to share space at a beach house that our friends racing the Mirage Racing/BF Goodrich Ford Bronco had secured. A huge thanks to Bill and Maddie from Mirage, Frank DeAngleo and Nate Hunt from BF Goodrich tires and my dear friends Tom and Julie Webber of BajaF250 fame. They were racing in the vintage open truck class number 33 Ford Bronco but they had problems with a coil spring and with no spares available they were sadly out of the race. They had arrived before us but we soon tracked them down and enjoyed a terrific dinner of homemade spaghetti (my favorite) with all the fixings and fell asleep under the stars along the shore of the beautiful sea of Cortez. To be honest I only slept a few hours though as the thrill of racing was still coursing through my veins and morning couldn’t come soon enough for me.
The next day we rose with the sun and readied ourselves and the F100 for another day of racing. Today’s run was from Bahia de Los Angles to the town of Loretto with a little over 400 miles of racing. It would be another long day. John gave us our assignments and Don “The Boss” Moss was behind the wheel and I was doing the navigating for him. I was eager for the start so I could show Don my rally navigating skills and with him driving I was sure we would move up in the standings. We left the line after what seemed like forever waiting and we we’re off and running for Loretto.
The first section is a long 132 mile run to the town of Vizcaino and as I expected Don soon became familiar with his new ride and we we’re hauling the mail passing several trucks on the road and even more wrecked or broken vehicles on the side of the course. I always knew in my heart that Don could be fast in any vehicle he was in and he didn’t disappoint me. On a side note, any of you class one or Trophy truck teams need a driver Don is your man. Anyway, there we are at close to 85 – 90 mph heading south having fun blasting through some of the most spectacular scenery that Baja can muster when out of nowhere the engine flames out and we coast to a stop on a small side trail. Don tries to restart the mighty 460 but nothing, not even a click. I think it must be the battery so I bail out and check. Yeah the battery is still in its mount and the connections all look good. Don tries the starter again and this time we get a little clunk. Another try and the engine roared to life ready to rip but alas the tranny had nothing for us. Don tried all gears including reverse but nothing happened. We were buzzard bait while we pondered our situation. We pulled off the access cover and checked the torque converter bolts and they were all good. We checked the fluid. Fluid level was good and it was in good condition. It didn’t smell burnt or anything and no signs of leaking were found. There was nothing we could do but call the Norra officials on the radio and let them know where we were and that we needed a sweep vehicle to tow us in. We called our crews that we pre-positioned in Vizcaino on our satellite phone to tell them what was up and that we’d call them when rescue came. Now the hard part started. We stood by watching racer after racer pass by us by one after another as my spirits continued to sink. Hours had passed by and we called the Norra officials again on the radio. This time we got no reply. The plane set up to support the racers was too far south to reach anymore. We knew then we were on our own. With a few racers still trickling by, having our crew drive backwards on the course to get to us was not an option so we continued to wait for a sweep vehicle. Still more time passes when finally a crew of photographers shows but they were covering the race for the web site race-dezert.com while they were helpful with cold water for us they said they couldn’t tow us out to our crew so they drove on and we waited. And waited and waited. Now an old Bronco shows up with three locals from Ensenada. Now these guys were ready to help and we soon had a tow strap hooked to the trusty Bronco and we were making progress to El Arco where our crew was waiting for us. We had only gone a few miles when a large steep hill loomed in the distance. The hill was so steep the poor Bronco towing us starts to overheat and we are stopped again.
Now another crew of media types shows up in a well outfitted Toyota pickup. The driver’s name is Chris and he’s with Overland Journal and they are covering the Meyer’s Manx Baja Social Clubs attempt to get the legendary Bruce Meyers his first Baja finish in a beautifully restored vintage Meyer’s Manx dune buggy. While hesitant at first they finally agreed to tow us in. Turns out this wasn’t their first rodeo and they towed us all the way to our crew some 50 miles down course with no problems. They reluctantly accepted my offer to buy they’re dinner and a few cervesas and they rode off into the setting sun like the heroes of an old cowboy movie.
Well we hook up the strap to my big F350 for the washboard road all the way out to Mex highway 1 where we load up on the trailer, down but not defeated. Somehow John decides we are not out of the race and calls go out to find transmission parts and a mechanic in Loretto. Heck maybe there’s hope and we can make the start of the next day.
We start out for Loretto which is over 300 miles away down darkening roads that just seem to get narrower and twistier as the black of the Baja night closes in. Somewhere between Santa Rosalia and Mulege the scariest thing in the Baja night happens, darn cows on the highway. They just seem to blend into the night. Even with all the KC Hilites blasting a hole through the Baja darkness we just missed the big one by a few feet. I guess its true the Lord really does look out for fools and Baja racers. Thank you Lord because that could have been ugly. Anyway, we finally arrive in Loretto tired from the drive and hoping for another miracle. The Mirage crew called around and they found us a mechanic who was willing to help and he had a source for parts in Cuidad Constitution 88 miles away. Our hotels front desk closes at Midnight so we leave John and the race truck with someone we never met, in a strange little shop in his front yard and head off to get some rest for what we hope would be day three of the race. We were down but still not out.
Well, we all got a few hours sleep at the hotel and a much needed breakfast and we head back to the little shop we left John and the race truck at last night. We first stop at the other hotel where our Team Mirage friends are staying and there is still hope. The transmission was pulled over night. The pump gears had broken inside and the parts run to Constitucion and back was done and miraculously John ran into his old friend Willie Valdez who was helping the Swift crew in their racing Edsel and he had his transmission expert go back to the little shop to help reassemble the transmission and it was being reinstalled as we spoke. We all hustled back to the shop where Don and Rob took over the remaining items left to complete while we refueled the F100 and prepped the truck for another day. John is too tired from his all-nighter fixing the truck to drive so this time it’s me at the wheel again and this time Don gets stuck in the right seat for his shot at navigator fame. We made our scheduled start time with just minutes to spare and I’m buckled in and ready to show Don what I can do behind the wheel. I know he hates the right seat from taking him pre running years ago but here is my big chance to impress him with my driving skills. This was my moment to shine. Three, Two, One and we’re off down the streets of Loretto at a blazing 25 mph until we exit the speed zone and enter the dry wash heading west out of town. The transmission was working fine and once again I was grinning from ear to ear as we gain speed. Don’s first call over the intercom was stay to the right but I see what I think is the course and go left. Want do you mean we’re not on course I say and he says try to stay right but keep going it’s a wash. So I stay on the gas trying to ease back towards the main line when it happens again. The tranny breaks again. No matter what I try she just won’t move and the agony of defeat hits me once again. Dang it. This was my big chance and its over after only a few short miles. Dang it is all I can say.
The bright side of where the transmission failed is we didn’t have to suffer another day as buzzard bait and we all sadly loaded up the Autofab F100 onto the trailer where she would stay for the remainder of the trip.
We then headed south to enjoy the rest of our vacation but its sure not the way we wanted it to end. If only the transmission would have held up we could have been contenders. Heck we were on the podium if only the tranny would have held. Oh well. There’s always next year.
I want to thank my friend John Ehmke for believing in me and trusting his baby to a rookie with big dreams. Just knowing you has opened so many doors for me in my quest to be a desert racer. Thank you John.
I also want to thank Don Moss. Your patence and guidance through the years teaching me the way to be a true Baja Champion has been some of my best years of my life and you’ve always made me feel like a Moss Brother not just a crew member. Thank you.
To Dan Thunborg. Thank you for taking unpaid time off from work to help me live my dream. It means more to me than you’ll ever know.
To Buck and Rob your help made it all possible I owe you both a huge debt of gratitude. If you ever need any help just let me know and I’m there.
And to my friend Tom Webber. Thanks for putting the bug in John’s ear when he showed interest in racing the F100. Without your lobbying for me this may have never happened and I’d still be waiting for my chance to be a real desert racer. I love you like a brother.
To my girlfriend Kelly Williams, Thank you for understanding how important this was to me and I can only hope you’ll continue to love and support me in this crazy dream of mine. I love you Kelly. Thank you.
Now that it’s all over all I can say is it was everything I’d dreamed it would be. The highs we’re high and the lows we’re low but the fire in me still burns and I can’t wait for next year. I will be back one way or another, ready to race Baja again until I beat her or until she finally beats me. I’m no quitter and neither is she. Stay tuned this dream isn’t over by a long ways.

Rick Bagwell
Once A Ford
Bronco Info: Still in the wishing-for-a-Bronco stage. 'Til then, I adventure in an '11 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X .

Post by Once A Ford »

flyinbronco wrote:
My Baja racing dream...

....Now that it’s all over all I can say is it was everything I’d dreamed it would be. The highs we’re high and the lows we’re low but the fire in me still burns and I can’t wait for next year. I will be back one way or another, ready to race Baja again until I beat her or until she finally beats me. I’m no quitter and neither is she. Stay tuned this dream isn’t over by a long ways.

Rick Bagwell

And someone told me racers don't write!

Awesome to hear the rest of the story, Rick. Your face told all down at Tech, and it was great to relax with you at the finish, but man I was waiting to hear these details. Can't tell which I like more--the story itself or the writing that captured it. Felt like I was engrossed in reading a story that came right out of Baja's racing history, yet this racer is one I've seen reindeer, rabbits and rocks with! Congrats, Man. The valiant effort to finish is so inspiring--and I know it'll come. Can't wait for next year!

BTW, you wanna be a guest author for this off-road racing blog I know???? Race stories worth telling belong on there, and this one is very much that...
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Rick, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy! Your ear to ear grin spoke volumes.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

That is awesome Rick. I agree with Nick. It couldn't happen to a more deserving person.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

That was a fun read Rick! I agree with Nick. We were talking about it off and on the whole trip. So awesome to see you realizing your dream. I know there's more to come and can't wait. Winners never quit! You, my friend, are a winner.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Rick was just happy to see me!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 681 times
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

Dang guys thanks so much.

In my haste to get my story out I forgot to thank my fellow GFB brothers Tony, Vick and Jesse who were instrumental in helping us find a tranny guy in Loretto. Your translation skills saved the day. yes Tony I owe you another kiss brother.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

The single thing that impressed me the most was Rick was smiling every single time I turned and saw him.......love the attitude Rick!!