Baja Norte March 7-9 recap.

bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Re: Baja Norte March 7-9 recap.

Post by bajabuck »

Let me elaborate. This was not a standard military check point. We were on the dark side of the moon. These guys were a specialized mountain unit on a long range patrol. They were hiding in some rocks setting up a tactical ambush when we spotted them. They had already sent 2, two man teams to flank us on each side. We were out numbered, out gunned and pinned down We quickly weighed our options and basically we had none. I greeted them saying "Buenos noches amigos." The response was a universal greeting of automatic weapons bolts being racked in the darkness surrounding us.

We have not even touched on the chupacabra sightings or the Mexican Hippie on a YZ 250 in the deepest depths of Baja.

Michener, Hemingway and Kenny Chesney combined could not begin to articulate the colossal epicness of this adventure. Many men have spent a life time traveling Baja, seeking what we casually rode through in three short days.

The complete tale can only be told in Baja with cervezas in hand.
93Broncobuff
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's

Post by 93Broncobuff »

F@ck man I cant wait for the book to come out and then the movie!

let me guess, Arnold Swartzenagger, chuck Norris, and Mark Walberg are in it.....
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Well shit, let's get the next trip scheduled then! Haha!
bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Post by bajabuck »

yikes wrote:Well shit, let's get the next trip scheduled then! Haha!
As astronauts have a higher than average suicide rate (after space travel what's left), I may never ride again. JK
Looking forward to the next trip. Contemplating chasing the NORRA race to the tip. Just started thinking about it at this point. Can't commit quite yet.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Wow, up the back side of the Summit in the dark, on bikes? That is some rough stuff! I would have gone back out around through Cohabuzo even though it is a long way north. I am surprised there aren't any routes across that range from where you were to the east but then when you look at those mountains from Hwy 5, they are rougher than heck.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

300 wrote:Wow, up the back side of the Summit in the dark, on bikes? That is some rough stuff! I would have gone back out around through Cohabuzo even though it is a long way north. I am surprised there aren't any routes across that range from where you were to the east but then when you look at those mountains from Hwy 5, they are rougher than heck.
There are. My dad and some of his friends just drove this. Roughly speaking, as you come down the summit you can see some roads on a low mesa just north of the wash you end up in.
The more eastern of these roads can take you, with some off-roading and navigational challenges, to the open desert south of the water wells outside La Ventana.

One time when we were marking the course over the summit for SCORE, we came around a corner up in the trees and there was a military hummer with guys out and in positions of cover and they all drew down on us with automatic weapons. We stopped hands in air and it was tense until we explained what we were doing and who we were. They were expecting bad guys for sure.
After we left, we asked each other, if they would of accidentally shot one of us, would then then have executed the other to cover it up? interesting side note, after they lowered weapons, one of the kids dropped his bullets all over the place, the captain scouled at him then one of his buddies when to help and was waiving his gun around while others were ducking. Keystone cops. No wonder they are scared.