2013 Baja 1k

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: 2013 Baja 1k

Post by AussieRod »

yikes wrote:
Carlos83 wrote:Moss bronco just went by rm650 (i am here) car looks good, guys look to be taking it easy
The look of no competition, unfortunately. Como estas Carlos?! Haven't heard from you in quite some time.
Yep, the Moss boys would be taking it easy now, with their competition out. Reaching the finish line is the goal now, no need to break any records for that (or the Bronco for that matter). :mrgreen:
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Jeepbag at the mil. This guy almost hurt himself after that jump.

yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

KTM's press release regarding Kurt Caselli:

http://www.ktm.com/news-events/news/all ... ogLm-Icl-x
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384660283.213487.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384660283.213487.jpg (209.69 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384660299.280082.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384660299.280082.jpg (125.75 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384660320.163605.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384660320.163605.jpg (134.91 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384660346.261600.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384660346.261600.jpg (178.33 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I am sorry to hear about Kurt Casseli. This morning I heard it was a booby trap and I was pissed, I was telling my wife that how disgusting of an idea someone causing intentional harm to someone be it bike or vehicle is and if its true I hope they catch his ass. I'm actually glad to hear the cause of his accident was out of his control ( collision with an animal) I am sorry to hear of him passing away and let it serve as a reminder to us rookies that accidents do and can happen even to the best. Put your safety first guys cause no one can do it for you. My condolences to his family and friends.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Rmc wrote:I am sorry to hear about Kurt Casseli. This morning I heard it was a booby trap and I was pissed, I was telling my wife that how disgusting of an idea someone causing intentional harm to someone be it bike or vehicle is and if its true I hope they catch his ass. I'm actually glad to hear the cause of his accident was out of his control ( collision with an animal) I am sorry to hear of him passing away and let it serve as a reminder to us rookies that accidents do and can happen even to the best. Put your safety first guys cause no one can do it for you. My condolences to his family and friends.
==========
Sad thing.
Do not promote the false booby trap statement some Baja hater wrote. It did not happen. The KTM recovery guys have the bike and it has evidence that Kurt hit a small animal.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Ooops! Navigator must have been monitoring the muffler temps.

Once A Ford
Bronco Info: Still in the wishing-for-a-Bronco stage. 'Til then, I adventure in an '11 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X .

Post by Once A Ford »

Enjoying the pics and the updates here, and hoping for more! GFB= life support for off-roaders exiled to Iowa cornfields...err uhhh, an Iowa University...

I was glued to every Facebook news feed that was updating about the race, 3 or four different websites, as well as texting with friends. It was a lot of work, and not the kind I wanted to be doing when all y'all were down there doing the real work! Of course being a spectator via internet doesn't even come close to the experience of being there, but thanks to all of you who bring the stories, pictures and videos back, far away Baja-ers like me get a taste of the fun! Post more, post more! Pleeease?? (I'm not above begging...)

Thoughts and prayers to Kurt Caselli's family. A tragic loss no matter the reason for his crash.

As a newcomer to the sport I'm sobered by the loss, but also grateful for the quick clearing up of the rumor that it was a booby trap. In my little experience so far, people in the US who haven't been to Baja are quick to warn me of all the fantastical dangers that are the only thing that comes to their mind when they think of Mexico. I'm further warned about the dangers of off-road racing and asked with astonishment, "Aren't you scared to even go down there?" Annoys me because of course there are risks, but anywhere can be dangerous, any activity can be dangerous. People who have never explored past the evening news shouldn't make such judgements. Perhaps if they gazed at a million Baja stars at midnight, if they shared a moment with a kind local when language breaks down and smiles and gestures reach across borders, they would change their story. My limited experience in Baja added a kind of happiness to my life that wasn't there before, and I find my work life brightened by scraping together resources in hopes of returning. Somehow Baja makes me feel like a kid with something to explore again. Any adult who finds such a passion is lucky in my book.

I say all this because the rumor of it being a booby trap that caused Kurt's crash made me backpedal and second guess my goals for getting more involved in Baja--a lot. But somehow an accident not caused by a bystander trying to harm doesn't scare me in the same way. The loss of someone in the community is tragic either way. I don't mean to minimize it in the least. Just, as a newcomer who is still trying to figure out what the sport is all about, I wonder if my enthusiasm should be dampened? As I read with heavy heart all the wonderful things written about Kurt and feel for his family's loss, I am torn between the reminder of the dangers of the sport, and my hunch that such a man wouldn't want his loss to deter new folks with a love of Baja from exploring the land and sport he loved. Maybe I should be more apprehensive than I was before, but I guess I suspect that the spark Baja ignited in me refuses to be snuffed out even by fear of real risks. Instead I find myself with a deeper respect for Baja, the sport, and all of those who love and live it, despite its risks. I'm the newbie here, so I don't know, but I suspect that this is the legacy a Baja Champion would want to leave?
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Once A Ford wrote:Enjoying the pics and the updates here, and hoping for more! GFB= life support for off-roaders exiled to Iowa cornfields...err uhhh, an Iowa University...

I was glued to every Facebook news feed that was updating about the race, 3 or four different websites, as well as texting with friends. It was a lot of work, and not the kind I wanted to be doing when all y'all were down there doing the real work! Of course being a spectator via internet doesn't even come close to the experience of being there, but thanks to all of you who bring the stories, pictures and videos back, far away Baja-ers like me get a taste of the fun! Post more, post more! Pleeease?? (I'm not above begging...)

Thoughts and prayers to Kurt Caselli's family. A tragic loss no matter the reason for his crash.

As a newcomer to the sport I'm sobered by the loss, but also grateful for the quick clearing up of the rumor that it was a booby trap. In my little experience so far, people in the US who haven't been to Baja are quick to warn me of all the fantastical dangers that are the only thing that comes to their mind when they think of Mexico. I'm further warned about the dangers of off-road racing and asked with astonishment, "Aren't you scared to even go down there?" Annoys me because of course there are risks, but anywhere can be dangerous, any activity can be dangerous. People who have never explored past the evening news shouldn't make such judgements. Perhaps if they gazed at a million Baja stars at midnight, if they shared a moment with a kind local when language breaks down and smiles and gestures reach across borders, they would change their story. My limited experience in Baja added a kind of happiness to my life that wasn't there before, and I find my work life brightened by scraping together resources in hopes of returning. Somehow Baja makes me feel like a kid with something to explore again. Any adult who finds such a passion is lucky in my book.

I say all this because the rumor of it being a booby trap that caused Kurt's crash made me backpedal and second guess my goals for getting more involved in Baja--a lot. But somehow an accident not caused by a bystander trying to harm doesn't scare me in the same way. The loss of someone in the community is tragic either way. I don't mean to minimize it in the least. Just, as a newcomer who is still trying to figure out what the sport is all about, I wonder if my enthusiasm should be dampened? As I read with heavy heart all the wonderful things written about Kurt and feel for his family's loss, I am torn between the reminder of the dangers of the sport, and my hunch that such a man wouldn't want his loss to deter new folks with a love of Baja from exploring the land and sport he loved. Maybe I should be more apprehensive than I was before, but I guess I suspect that the spark Baja ignited in me refuses to be snuffed out even by fear of real risks. Instead I find myself with a deeper respect for Baja, the sport, and all of those who love and live it, despite its risks. I'm the newbie here, so I don't know, but I suspect that this is the legacy a Baja Champion would want to leave?
Great post!
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

I chased for the 100 team (Parkhouse) and duties included setting up a pit down in Coco's corner, then up to RM498, RM650 and finish. We drove down to HPR Thu morning and met the team there... I also ran into Erik (ESHALLBETTER) at HPR… GREAT to meet him and attach a face to a screen name. Most unfortunately we didn’t get much more than a few minutes to chat… would have loved to sit down over a beer or two and talk.

I picked up parts/spares and headed out through San Felipe and Gonzaga down to Coco's, great choice... the drive down went great and had some fantastic scenery, no traffic to contend with and we made some great time. I arrived at Coco's at 1000. Not many folks there and for the next few hours, Coco's began to fill up. We expected the race car to come through at 1615 so at 1530 when the fueling truck wasn’t there… I started to get nervous. We had a 55-gal drum of race fuel and the thought of having to pump 50+ gals into the race car with a little plastic hand pump was disturbing… it would take us forever to get the tank full! So, I went over to the BFG pit and chatted with them about options… the team lead offered up their electric transfer pump… saved the day!!! Just then the fueling truck showed up with the fueling tower and we got the pit all setup for the race car! The next thing I know, the class one’s (Wilson) came blasting through… holy crap, they are running fast! Parkhouse came through Coco’s about 45-minutes earlier than expected! Cool!!!

Got the race car fueled, tires changed, drivers watered up and send them on their way… pit stop in less than two minutes! Most excellent… they were on a fast pace… tearing up the course. By the time we got the pit closed up, packed and fuel transferred (from the drum to the fueling tower) it was dark. The drive out from Coco’s to highway 1 sucked! 8 mph… lot’s of traffic and the other trucks couldn’t do more than that… so I was stuck in trail at 8mph… ugh! That section of road absolutely sucks… it’s like a river bed… when blasting at 50mph, it smooths it out… but not at 8mph!

Once we made it to the highway we made good time to the next stop… but we were behind! We arrived at the road crossing at 498 to set up the next pit. The Cops team saved us a spot right next to theirs (man, it was crowded… so many people there!). We set up and were all ready… now the car was just a little late… concern! The Wilson car came blasting through and we waited…. Hummmm, we found out the radio went out in the race car due to water intrusion in Calamajue wash… so we couldn’t communicate with them. We watched the mountains to the south… every set of lights could be the race car… but the motor sound was the true give-away… the 100 car has a very distinctive sound… then it came… it was bunched with two trophy trucks… so even though we could hear the approaching vehicles… we couldn’t breakout the sound… but something was coming… we were ready for it…

Then the light pattern… the car was here! They blasted in, we went to work… fuel in, spare tire replaced (they got a flat in Calamajue Wash and after 185…), oil checked and topped, CVs greased… they let us know the throttle was sticking… there was nothing broken, but apparently there was some additional friction, so we added an additional throttle return spring and voila… fixed it! This was also a driver change so while this was all going on, the crew swapped out… all went well and they blasted off again into the night. All refreshed and ready for the next 383 miles!

We packed our crap again and off we made it… up highway one to 650… it would be tight… and of course we got behind the SLOWEST trucks in the world, up through the winding, rocky, twisty, hilly sections north of Catavina… crap… we were going to be late! AND the line of cars, chase trucks trying to get north with us was HUGE… so many trucks and cars stuck behind many slow trucks… down to 5-mph on climbs… then you have the locals who are happy following the trucks… and the not so happy chase trucks pushing to get around the long string of vehicles… spells out disaster, just waiting to happen… some very sketchy passes… some very dangerous, heart stopping and treacherous attempts to get around the trucks… hmmm, maybe this sitting back and watching the passing circus take place was just ok with me… ugh, it was ugly. But, we finally made it and had the toughest time finding a spot to set up the pit… we actually were too close to the transition spot where the cars/trucks come back out to the highway. Finally, we found a spot, set up and waited… Wilson came blasting through… Fuel, tire change, quick CV greasing… the big question… who was going to come in first… there was still quite a bit of racing… Parkhouse was in third, behind by about ½-hr… but the real question was… what was the finishing order going to be… it all boiled down to points for the championship… the top three were all within 5-points… Parkhouse has to finish in the top 3, a podium finish. The next few hours would tell…

We got the pit all packed up and headed for Ensenada… to the finish and HPR. As it ended… Parkhouse placed 3rd and won the championship by 4-points… GREAT!

Went down to Ensenada after about 2-hours of sleep and checked out the finish line and just generally snooped around for a while… jumped in the truck and headed for the border… not a bad crossing…

Just a few pics… only able to snap a few before the race car came through at Coco’s… once pit duties kicked in, no time… !
Attachments
THW_7616.JPG
THW_7616.JPG (125.38 KiB) Viewed 926 times
THW_7629.JPG
THW_7629.JPG (162.24 KiB) Viewed 926 times
THW_7632.JPG
THW_7632.JPG (161.16 KiB) Viewed 926 times
THW_7635.JPG
THW_7635.JPG (151.45 KiB) Viewed 926 times
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

mas...
Attachments
THW_7636.JPG
THW_7636.JPG (170.59 KiB) Viewed 923 times
THW_7643.JPG
THW_7643.JPG (165.37 KiB) Viewed 923 times
THW_7648.JPG
THW_7648.JPG (120.89 KiB) Viewed 923 times
THW_7653.JPG
THW_7653.JPG (178.3 KiB) Viewed 923 times
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

mas...
Attachments
THW_7656.JPG
THW_7656.JPG (123.61 KiB) Viewed 921 times
THW_7660.JPG
THW_7660.JPG (104.93 KiB) Viewed 921 times
THW_7664.JPG
THW_7664.JPG (131.92 KiB) Viewed 921 times
THW_7669.JPG
THW_7669.JPG (139.08 KiB) Viewed 921 times
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Any news on Mike? We (Tony, Jesse, and I) ran into Todd at the entrance to HP ranch and he gave me Mike's number. Told me his daughter was going to pick him up from Ojos.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

mas fotos...
Attachments
THW_7673.JPG
THW_7673.JPG (151.32 KiB) Viewed 918 times
THW_7691.JPG
THW_7691.JPG (156.28 KiB) Viewed 918 times
THW_7701.JPG
THW_7701.JPG (147.53 KiB) Viewed 918 times
THW_7706.JPG
THW_7706.JPG (133.24 KiB) Viewed 918 times
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

last of the fotos!
Attachments
THW_7718.JPG
THW_7718.JPG (143.76 KiB) Viewed 917 times
THW_7733.JPG
THW_7733.JPG (116.04 KiB) Viewed 917 times
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

I didn't hear about Kurt's accident and death until the Saturday morning back at HPR. My deepest condolences goes out to Kurt's family and friends... it is a dangerous sport.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Tom, how is Matt? We heard he ran into trouble.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Once A Ford wrote:Enjoying the pics and the updates here, and hoping for more! GFB= life support for off-roaders exiled to Iowa cornfields...err uhhh, an Iowa University...

Hey Ang,

Great thoughts... but as with most sports... there are dangers and risks. The added layer of traveling to a foreign country with differing customs can be a little scary, but quite frankly, it's also that level of "risk" and the unknown is what also attracts folks to the sport. As I'm sure you are aware... :D
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Nick wrote:Tom, how is Matt? We heard he ran into trouble.
Hey Nick,

I actually haven't connected with him yet... I got a few messages the day it happened, but I was down at Coco's and my phone doesn't work in Baja... (gotta get that fixed)... When I found out I called and left a message... still waiting to hear from him... I suspect he's working the system to try to get his truck back.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:Any news on Mike? We (Tony, Jesse, and I) ran into Todd at the entrance to HP ranch and he gave me Mike's number. Told me his daughter was going to pick him up from Ojos.
Hey Philo... still nothing from Matt... waiting to hear the story from him...