2013 Baja 1k

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: 2013 Baja 1k

Post by tcm glx »

baja-chris wrote:
tcm glx wrote:Chris, bummer on the suspension..... but let me tell you something, suspension or not, the truck looks good and thats half the battle!! hahaha. I am sure you guys will get it figured out in quick fashion. Looking forward to seeing her run again!!
It has 24" rear travel and 20" front travel. Bypass, coilover, air bump on each corner. Despite the 105" wheelbase, we should be able to make it work in the rough! Just ran out of time to tune it for this race. (For this race, we left the coils off the rear coilover and ran only on leafs).

Right on..... we spent a good deal of time checking it out at Contingency... I was loving it, the paint scheme, the attention to detail, rear fenders, it just all tied together so nicely!!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Hey Chris
I was wondering what you would recommend for Locking Hubs. I read about the issue you had with Ole Yellar's Warn hubs. I have the premiums also. I am yet to have a problem. I did see Don Moss talk about putting in some type of slug but I thing that means you can't unlock them.

Also I feel your pain with the race Bronco. Remember when we lost the motor in Kurt's class 8 at mile 28. Fortunately I was able to get to Ramsey and Josh with out to much trouble. Had to pull them on the strap back to Ojos Negros. Early tacos and beer.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1384922478175.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1384922478175.jpg (116.63 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

We put these Yukon D44 lockout hubs on the night before the race. Chromoly guts, super nice parts. About $350/pr instead of about $100/pr. They held up fine. I'll be getting a set for my prerun bronco too.
Attachments
PB120039.JPG
PB120039.JPG (46.15 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
PB120038.JPG
PB120038.JPG (58.25 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
PB120010.JPG
PB120010.JPG (38.53 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
PB120009.JPG
PB120009.JPG (61.45 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Can see the Yukon hubs in this photo too.
Attachments
20131114_093047.jpg
20131114_093047.jpg (81.13 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Thanks Chris, I think I will go that route. It's a good piece of mind when we go the places we do, 100's of miles from nowhere in Baja.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

baja-chris wrote:Can see the Yukon hubs in this photo too.
Absolutely fantastic looking truck! Had a chance to look at it at contingency, since we were all there ALL day long. Had time to have PCI completely re-wire my helmet and go through registration a second time. Design, body work, paint and workmanship are second to none. Was taken completely by surprise when you switched to Class 8 after we had talked about it quite some time ago.

We have found that it takes 40 to 50 miles at race speed for leaf springs to wear in or loosen up and it is a completely different truck by then. We went by when you were working on it at 183 and then saw you going in to BFG 2 as we were coming out. I got out at BFG 2 and didn't see my truck until after 1300 the next day at Mike's road. "Only" getting to RM 183 may seem like a short race however that first 200 miles was just incredibly rough. We had no major mechanical problems but had problems in the silt and the wash below Coco's. We knew the time limit of 36 hours could have easily times out with any problems and we had elected to do the whole course and not take the short cut. I brought it up with my crew and not doing the entire course was not an option. Roger would not consider making the time limit longer since he already had the course workers out there for 48 hours to accomodate the early bike start. The other entry wasn't happy about it but agreed, and they ended up having an engine problem that took them out before they even got over the top of the course.

After a season with the new owners there are items that I am not that wild about but the effort to change up the course was very much welcome. Sure it was tough on logistics and the crews but I can honestly say I saw parts of Baja that I had never raced through before. My other drivers and crew said the same thing. Even though much of their sections were through the night, the full moon and clear conditions really lit it up. The traffic jams and stuck vehicles we expected never materialized even though we were hearing about them over the Weatherman. Didn't mind the rougher course, just would have liked to have had time for all the entries to reasonably cover the course for a finish. Finishing rate was only 45%.

It took us 30 hours and 20 minutes to finish but I have to laugh when it apparently looked like we were "taking it easy". We still averaged 29.1 mph in a heavy, short wheel base entry built to the existing rules. There were no finishers in Classes 8, 9, 2, 1700, 4000, and 7200. Stock Full and 7SX both took the short cut but their average speeds were calculated over the entire course so their average speeds were higher than ours.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Jake and Art at SCORE never changed the class 3 body rule like they told me they would so I had no choice other than change to class 8. Without it in writing from SCORE, someone could protest us and we would be DQ'd. We were also planning to run the SCORE series next year in class 3. Looks like that is out too.

Running class 3 vs. class 8 will cost us an extra $600-$800 per race for new leafs. After this experience with leafs, I'm not even going to bother pushing for the class 3 body rule change. I want to run coils instead of leafs. Maybe I can do a side bet with anyone else who runs short wheelbase 4x4 in class 8 like Dave Moore.

BTW, we had 570 test miles on the truck but most of it was on smooth terrain as we were focused on issues other than suspension. We did beat on it for an hour or so in the whoops at Plaster City and it was not working well but no indication the leafs would die.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

At the BFG pit where the Bronco was made drivable there were a half dozen media video guys. I suppose something should show up soon to show all the details for the front rebuild.

It took quite a while to put the front end together at RM 183. I went for the trailer so I did not see how they did it. My guess is the reattached the lower BJ where the shaft came out of the ball and strapped the upper BJ in place just drove slow. Sure glad they were able to drive it because getting the trailer in and out with a load probably would have taken some help. Trailer got cancelled before I got my act together. A good thing.

BFG pit was the 2 poles, ~K166
PW
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

First and foremost, Godspeed Kurt.

I was all over hwy 1 all night and day for the Lucky Sperm class 10 car. We had lots of problems but we got to the finish. BUT as usual I had an epic adventure with a great group of people who all love baja as much as I do!

Best tacos in Ensenada!

On the box at tech.

Best picture ever, my brother dominating the scooter over the start/finish box!

Balls deep in baby powder, Chase 1 to the rescue!

At the finish line, about 29 hours later!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Cool pics Ollie..... was the silt so bad Chase had to go in and rescue.... no other racers willing to lend a hand? Or what was the story with that....
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

tcm glx wrote:Cool pics Ollie..... was the silt so bad Chase had to go in and rescue.... no other racers willing to lend a hand? Or what was the story with that....
There was a class 1 car also there, that's how we got stuck. We pulled both of them out. We could see their lights from the hwy and just followed the lights until we got to them.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

PBR wrote:
tcm glx wrote:Cool pics Ollie..... was the silt so bad Chase had to go in and rescue.... no other racers willing to lend a hand? Or what was the story with that....
There was a class 1 car also there, that's how we got stuck. We pulled both of them out. We could see their lights from the hwy and just followed the lights until we got to them.
Right on...... pretty cool you guys could see them!
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

It was one of those Baja moments like they talk about in D2G.

Funniest part of the pic when we were stuck, the co-dog, Murph, yells to me "there's a race going on here" while I was taking the pic! haha

I also got to shoot the shit with Rick for a few minutes when he was taking the Moss boys rig through tech for 6 long hours! haha! Always great seeing guys like Rick with a big old smile on his face.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Well done team Moss! Don's expertise with the champagne is evident. Haha! They didn't even give Damen Jeffries a bottle.

flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

yikes wrote:Well done team Moss! Don's expertise with the champagne is evident. Haha! They didn't even give Damen Jeffries a bottle.

I warned the crew but they didn't listen. I kept the empty bottle for my collection of memorabilia.
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

PBR wrote:It was one of those Baja moments like they talk about in D2G.

Funniest part of the pic when we were stuck, the co-dog, Murph, yells to me "there's a race going on here" while I was taking the pic! haha

I also got to shoot the shit with Rick for a few minutes when he was taking the Moss boys rig through tech for 6 long hours! haha! Always great seeing guys like Rick with a big old smile on his face.
Always good seeing you Ollie. And I always smile when I'm in Baja. Its my happy place for sure.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

flyinbronco wrote:
PBR wrote:It was one of those Baja moments like they talk about in D2G.

Always good seeing you Ollie. And I always smile when I'm in Baja. Its my happy place for sure.

You were smiling awefully big while driving the Black Beauty through contingency.... thats for sure!!!
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

To clarify, the bottle of champagne did come from Frank DeAngelo and BFGoodrich. Much appreciate all they do for us. Otherwise the crew is pretty good with cold Tecate!
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Hey Ollie, cool bunch of folks you teamed up with, starting with Cam. We rebuilt the Lucky Sperm's rear hubs and welded on some replacement tranny skid plates at BFG Pit 1 and was fun helping out the cause. Heard all the skid plates were gone by the time you guys finished, Rough Course! Congrats on a good run!
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

300 wrote:To clarify, the bottle of champagne did come from Frank DeAngelo and BFGoodrich. Much appreciate all they do for us. Otherwise the crew is pretty good with cold Tecate!
Bet it was your circle track days where you picked up your champagne skills, eh?
Always fun fueling you guys and congrats on your eleventh Class Championship!
Given how slow all the faster classes were this year, a 29 mph avg. is anything but taking it easy... Good Job!