2013 BajaHID Excursion Post Trip Report

bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Re: 2013 BajaHID Excursion Post Trip Report

Post by bajabuck »

yikes wrote:...So there I was, on my knees trying to get this artsy fartsy cell phone shot of the Bronco, when much to my chagrin a Buck holding mini muffins wandered into the frame. The sun was killing my view and I didn't see the svelte Buck in the shot until after I snapped it, but behold!, there he was. Hahahahahaha!

Ha ha I was wondering what you were doing all sprawled out in the sand! So Carmen was taking a picture of you while you were taking a picture of the Bronco?
bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Post by bajabuck »

This was truly an epic trip and it was a privilege traveling with such fine people. What a great group! Everyone had an awesome attitude; it just made everything groove. It was fantastic to see the OGFB'ers and meeting some new ones. Brain that was too much fun getting to wring it out with you and John in the big wash. Michale, that roast beef hash was absolutely gourmet. Israel thank you for manning the grill for the surf and turf and thanks to Vic for hooking that up. A huge thank you to Tom, Tony and Chris for bringing it all together and thank you to our GFB founders for making it all possible. Can't wait for the next one!

Buck
bodypanel
Bronco Info: Mostly 1994 Mazda B4000

Post by bodypanel »

From the Wisconsin group we all want to thank everyone for your hospitality! From the moment we showed up with our morfidite rigs to the moment the Dodge broke (oh...wait that was only minutes apart) everyone made us feel welcome. You all made us feel like we had wheeled with you for years. Lots of great food, lots of knowledge, and down to earth people. The night Aaron and I committed to this trip Aaron didn't have a front axle, my front axle was chained to my motor home, Suburban, and a winch (long story), I had first gear, part of second, reverse, and a radiator that couldn't cool a hopped up Prius. Lots of long nights in the shop, road trip to New Mexico, midnight runs in the canyons, and a plane ticket later we made it to your event which made it all worth it. Aaron and I will be in Yuma until August of next year so we are up for wheeling at any time, any where, just give us a call.

Robb 920-203-4051

We are only about 30 minutes from the dunes so if you need a place to stay or repairs I have a shop, parts, steel, vodka, and beer.

If anyone knows a Ranger person I am selling my front axle, arms, steering, and the rear end 4:56. Going with a Autofab 44 and a 9".

Thanks again we had a blast!
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Robb - I really enjoyed watching you work that truck through the whoops. Can't wait to see it next year. Can you guys make down for the mil in November?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

looks like a damn good time, everyone. I'm sorry I missed it but it just wasn't meant to be. Even after I threw in the towel, I was still full steam ahead, just in case I could pull it off. I found a major alignment issue that would have destroyed my new tires on the trip there and back and there was just no way for me to get it done in time... sucks but it takes the sting away from missing a great trip!

Thanks for all the trip summaries!

Does anyone have more photos of this car? It is SAWEEEET!
philofab wrote:Image
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

That has to be Philos. He is the only guy I've ever known who can bomb a stockish vehicle faster than most can in a highly modified vwhicle and come out without something broken.
donncdrc
Bronco Info: 1996 fullsize

Re: 2013 Baja HID run

Post by donncdrc »

philofab wrote:
donncdrc wrote:I was bummed about only making it a few miles but at least I have a truck to fix. I want to say thanks to the guys that made this run possible. The little time I spent on the trail and interacting with the rest was awesome! Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. I didn't catch to many names but thank you guy in stock explorer and guy in blue ranger. Special thanks to Rodney and his wife, they went above and beyond and towed me all the way to Baker. My only question is do I really have to wait a whole year before trying this again? I vote for a bi-annual event!
It was good meeting you! I was the guy with the stock Explorer. When you have your trans rebuilt make sure they install the 97 up "superduty" six pinion steel planetary set and upgraded input shaft. Trans will last you a long time after that upgrade.
It was good to meet you also Philo and thanks for the advice. I mentioned this to the tranny builder and he agreed and also recommended changing the stall converter. As he walked away he mumbled something about a stock e4od was strong enough and it's usually the driver and not the equipment. I of coarse answered with the age old question " how much" .
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

What a trip...so much fun! Yesterday I spent 45 minutes and $15 at the car wash trying to get all the corrosive mud off the undercarriage of my truck... It's still dirty above the wheels, but the under belly is squeaky clean :lol: I enjoyed seeing all the people from last year's run as well as all the new faces. It's amazing that a group can come together so infrequently and get along so well! I want to applaud Carmen for spending the time to make (and transport) her fabulous tamales! I wasn't able to have one, but everyone raved about them ;)

For the record I'm not a fan of little dogs, they seem part rodent to me... Off the record, John's little chihuahua (aka Molly) grew on me. She had a really friendly personality and purportedly kept "six square inches" of John (Mr Autofab) warm all night long. I think it'd be worth sticking a GoPro in his cab just to watch her bounce around like a racquetball while he takes the whoops and corners :lol: While striking camp on Saturday morning, I came back to my tailgate with a gift on it...a wheel center cap! I remembered asking to purchase one on the forum as a backup, but I couldn't remember who to thank! Anyway, Dicker1 ended up being the santa claus. Perfect wheel cap, delivered to my rear tailgate in the desert, free of charge? Thanks Dicker1, doesn't get much better than that!

Thanks to the group of peeps who stopped to get my rear driver side bypass shock off after it broke at the base of the shaft. Augi muscled it off after I was completely unsuccessful having a go at it. I'll get the other rear bypass off this weekend and send them off for a rebuild. I certainly didn't take near as many pictures this year, but I'll post up what I do have.

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I still love johns truck....I just had to share that lol
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

Rmc wrote:I still love johns truck....I just had to share that lol
That is my dream truck! On my bucket list...
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

So for this trip, I picked up a GoPro from Jose, even though Andy had just let me borrow his as well (thanks to both). Took some video, struggled a little with the settings on the GoPro, and therefore the battery life, but anyways here is my first attempt at using Movie Maker and putting a quick video together!

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Cool vid bro! You looked like you were going pretty fast on the powerline road section.
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

[quote="tcm glx"]So for this trip, I picked up a GoPro from Jose, even though Andy had just let me borrow his as well (thanks to both). Took some video, struggled a little with the settings on the GoPro, and therefore the battery life, but anyways here is my first attempt at using Movie Maker and putting a quick video together!

Hey T,

Wow, nice... producer, director, cameraman, video, still and sound editor, you get an Emmy! Two-thumbs up!!!
bodypanel
Bronco Info: Mostly 1994 Mazda B4000

Post by bodypanel »

yikes wrote:Robb - I really enjoyed watching you work that truck through the whoops. Can't wait to see it next year. Can you guys make down for the mil in November?

I am pretty sure I am in. What is the schedule for that trip? I am going to try to do as much wheelin as possible. You know how it is, schedule the modifications such that you can make the cool trips. Please let me know what the schedule is and I will do what ever it takes.

Rub
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:That has to be Philos. He is the only guy I've ever known who can bomb a stockish vehicle faster than most can in a highly modified vwhicle and come out without something broken.
Not true, had a headlight bulb come loose, battery loose once, and the windshield glue failed and it popped out. The last part of the trip I had duct tape holding it in.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Looks like it wa sa great trip with great weather! I sure wish i could have made it. Thanks for the sharing of all the photos and write ups!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

guard wrote:
Rmc wrote:I still love johns truck....I just had to share that lol
That is my dream truck! On my bucket list...
you guys have no clue how much I lust after his stuff!

Trip looks like it was a good one guys. Thanks for the pics.

One of these years the stars will align again & I'll be able to make another one of these.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Broncodawg wrote:Thanks for taking care of things Steve and Tom and trip pics and writeup make trip look epic.
Best carnage line: "TCMGLX lost most of the TEFLON" Gotta love it!
Now we're ready for some more Go Fast videos of the run!

Happy to report the following:
*$14 in quarters, and Augi and I most of the muck out from underneath
*Bronco has been emptied, vaccumed and washed
*A quick buff, polish and wax reveals scratches were simply surface deep.....teflon did its job well!!

.............. She will shine again!! HA!
crisis88
Bronco Info: 94 fsb stock

2013 BajaHID Excursion Post Trip Report

Post by crisis88 »

You guys have me worried now. As I am in Texas for work this week. I did not have time to wash the mud off the bronco! I hope it doesn't do permanent damage.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

I was $20 dollars deep in the self car wash and ruined two car wash bays. I can't believe how much mud was caked on underneath. Will have to do a second run to get the remaining muck off.

Man I had an absolute blast. And though my Bronco has a few more scratches while my son Little T was behind the wheel, I have to admit I loved sitting co-dawg and watching him drive the Silver Bullet. My little boy is all grown up!

Chris