2012 Baja 1000

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: 2012 Baja 1000

Post by AussieRod »

Watch the video at entry #126 where he charged through a camp after missing a turnoff. :shock: Scary.
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showth ... ing/page13
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

AussieRod wrote:Watch the video at entry #126 where he charged through a camp after missing a turnoff. :shock: Scary.
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showth ... ing/page13
Not so much. I would stand right there without fear and trust his judgement long before I would cross a street in my little town.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

I believe Tavo's response on RDC.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

By the way...Congratulations Don and the Moss Bros team. You guys continue to amaze. I think we take it for granted when you grab another win. Well done fellas!
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

There's no way they can justify this kind of action. He deserves to get kicked in the nuts for that one. That shows a total disregard for human life running through a campsite like that. If this is the kind of things they do when the cameras are rolling, I can only imagine what they'd be willing to do to win when no one is looking.

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

yikes wrote:I believe Tavo's response on RDC.
The video clearly shows his response is bunkem. The guy in the pick-up bed is clearly trying to re-align the light bar. As far as charging through the camp in near darkness, thats just plain dangerous and stupid, even in Mexico. Regardless of his skill, its actions like that which could one day close the border to Baja for us and others if kids or a local(s) were killed in such an incident.
Last edited by AussieRod on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

The camp thing doesn't look like he is moving very fast at all......keep in mind even at 10 mph they an throw a huge roost!

Also, see the fans literally parked within 50 ft if he course......kind of how WE were this year! It is part of what is truly different about racing in Mexico, right , wrong or indifferent.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

tcm glx wrote:The camp thing doesn't look like he is moving very fast at all......keep in mind even at 10 mph they an throw a huge roost!

Also, see the fans literally parked within 50 ft if he course......kind of how WE were this year! It is part of what is truly different about racing in Mexico, right , wrong or indifferent.
If he blew through YOUR camp, endangering all you hold dear, is it just racing in Mexico? If its the racer's responsibility to stay clear of spectators etc, that not a very responsible act, even for a heat of the moment thing. No disrespect or sarcasm intended here, just saying.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

AussieRod wrote:
tcm glx wrote:The camp thing doesn't look like he is moving very fast at all......keep in mind even at 10 mph they an throw a huge roost!

If he blew through YOUR camp, endangering all you hold dear, is it just racing in Mexico? If its the racer's responsibility to stay clear of spectators etc, that not a very responsible act, even for a heat of the moment thing. No disrespect or sarcasm intended here, just saying.

Yes, it is still just racing in mexico. If I was in mexico with my family and all I hold dear, I WOULD NOT set up camp outside of a turn, I WOULD not set up camp 50 ft off the course, and I WOULD have a close eye on my family.

Fans needs to have some common sense on where and how they set themselves up. Just my two cents... back to RDC for more popcorn.

Both driver and fans have a responsibility here..... and agreed Rod, no disrespect or sarcasm here either.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Understood and agreed. :D
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

tcm glx wrote:
AussieRod wrote:

Yes, it is still just racing in mexico. If I was in mexico with my family and all I hold dear, I WOULD NOT set up camp outside of a turn, I WOULD not set up camp 50 ft off the course, and I WOULD have a close eye on my family.

Fans needs to have some common sense on where and how they set themselves up. Just my two cents... back to RDC for more popcorn.

Both driver and fans have a responsibility here..... and agreed Rod, no disrespect or sarcasm here either.
Tony is right about not camping right off a turn especially to the outside within 50 ft. of the course but that's no excuse for cutting across a campsite and risking other people's lives. We were at a fairly straight section and it's still pretty scary when you see the trucks dance a little before straightening out and blowing by kicking up rocks and what not and yes, it's one of the fun things about getting to experience these trucks from up close (within reason of course). That being said, if I had kids, I would never in my right mind park that close to the race course. Actually, I probably wouldn't even take them to a race until they were at least old enough to drive themselves.

Last year at the Mil, we had a few race truck turn around right in our campsite and that alone made me stay up late and hang out with Bill and Tom watching the trucks blast through Borrego. It's much safer when you have a well lit pit setup that the racers can clearly see as opposed to tents they may not be able to make out.

Personally, I think the right thing for Tavo to have done would have been to bust a righthand 180 after he blew the turn. Cutting across people's campsite to stay ahead of a competitor who's clearly on your ass is not the right thing to do. He should have spun it around in a clear area and eaten dust for a few minutes trying to make up that spot.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Dun-dun-daaahhhhhh!
561556_126953530794284_1734848699_n.jpg
561556_126953530794284_1734848699_n.jpg (14.37 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Its on at RDC! :lol: :lol:
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

It cracks me up when everyone jumps on the "hang him" bandwagon. When Tavo is going through the camp it is at a very controlled pace. I guarantee he's scanning the area as he goes through and is very aware of the situation. He doesn't let it rip until he throws it right, back onto the course again. The video shows the event from one angle, in poor light and can not be used to hang the guy. As drivers, we make many observations per second and respond accordingly. Off road racers are some of the best drivers in the world when it comes to quick response situations. I don't fault him for what he did there and I'm sure it was much safer than it initially appears. And no, my family wouldn't have been camped that close or on the outside of a turn either.

Oh...and I'm never afraid to be the minority.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

I was trying to read that thread. When i started it was 32 pages long, by the time i got to page 12, it was up to 40 pages. I gave up, i realized i would never catch up.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

yikes wrote:It cracks me up when everyone jumps on the "hang him" bandwagon. When Tavo is going through the camp it is at a very controlled pace. I guarantee he's scanning the area as he goes through and is very aware of the situation. He doesn't let it rip until he throws it right, back onto the course again. The video shows the event from one angle, in poor light and can not be used to hang the guy. As drivers, we make many observations per second and respond accordingly. Off road racers are some of the best drivers in the world when it comes to quick response situations. I don't fault him for what he did there and I'm sure it was much safer than it initially appears. And no, my family wouldn't have been camped that close or on the outside of a turn either.

Oh...and I'm never afraid to be the minority.
Thats ok, B, we are all entitled to our opinions :D I wonder what would have happened if he went through a camp like that NORTH of the border? Do the rubber rules still apply? :lol:
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

AussieRod wrote:Do the rubber rules still apply? :lol:
Wait...what are the rubber rules? Does that have to do with condoms or the Darwin awards somehow? Haha!
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

yikes wrote:
AussieRod wrote:Do the rubber rules still apply? :lol:
Wait...what are the rubber rules? Does that have to do with condoms or the Darwin awards somehow? Haha!
Y'know, those rubber "bendable"rules SCORE always seems to apply to everything contraversial. I'm sure if a TT ran through a redneck's camp off track north of the border, it would be sporting numerous bullet holes in the back. That and the driver/team would have a massive penalty to deal with. Buuuuut, I guess thats racing in Mexico, right? I mean, taking liberties with the rules is to be expected? :lol:
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

You know Rod, the more I watch that "fan" video, the more upset I get. Why? Not because Tavo did, in fact use poor judgement and break a well known rule, but because we, as human beings always magnify the smallest things and use them to bury another. America has become the worst at it. It will be the death of our freedom some day. We're going to protect ourselves into sitting on our f'ing arses and watching fake lives on tv. Long live the wild west!! F the rules!
greaslife
Bronco Info: Home built is the way too go even if they don't like it.

Post by greaslife »

If he did that here he would of got the crap kicked out of him at the end of the race then it would of been all over the news and we would loose more sanctioned offload race bodies if not even more land.

Kids do not belong in a race environment like this unless u the parent can protect them. Why do you think than make a leash for kids
I have been me for 32 years and know i cant spell for Sh!$ so get over it . Thanks Josh
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

yikes wrote:You know Rod, the more I watch that "fan" video, the more upset I get. Why? Not because Tavo did, in fact use poor judgement and break a well known rule, but because we, as human beings always magnify the smallest things and use them to bury another. America has become the worst at it. It will be the death of our freedom some day. We're going to protect ourselves into sitting on our f'ing arses and watching fake lives on tv. Long live the wild west!! F the rules!

Im jumping on Yikes bandwagon here........

100K views on RDC and every one trying to throw Tavo under the bus. Nobody wants to say, this guy just made a poor judegment call on having his lights adjusted on ther road and call it a day... All of a sudden, he cheated here, who knows where else. And the whole he uses a chopper thing, Get the hell out of here, are you guys serious..... Every single bird in the air is talking to the Trophy Trucks.........and as far as I am concerned, let em!! I personally heard the McMillains airplane talking to the weatherman trying to help the accident victims.... so it isnt just for EVIL that they are used hahaha....

Anyways, I am mexican, and I was raised in mexicali, so that is probably why i am still rooting for Tavo!! Has nothing to do with his new TT, that only has two races on it, that is built to take technology to another level by keeping it super lightweight......

Ok, running to the store for more popcorn, back in a few!!