2012 Baja 1000

Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Re: 2012 Baja 1000

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Honestly, Tavo protesting that just came across as him being a little B**** about losing the win! He was caught cheating.. no big deal, just try again next season. He should have just let it go and run down BJ at the 250 and nerf him for snitching.

My issue with the checkpoint protest was that it didn't look like a legit checkpoint to me (even though it turns out it was). Last year at the Mil, Bill (Mirage Racing), Tom (Bourne) and John (The AUTOFAB legend himself) had way more lighting then this checkpoint.

Maybe they should do the protests like in football where if you challenge and get it wrong, you lose a time out. Maybe if you protest and are wrong, you start from the rear of the field at the next corresponding race or start from your same position but have to run 35-inch tires for the whole race.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

From the report, there was no 1/4 mile warning or other that there was supposed to be at that checkpoint. And the fact try we're 700ft off where they were supposed to be according to the GPS file had to have played into it as well
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Agui-E7TE wrote:Honestly, Tavo protesting that just came across as him being a little B**** about losing the win! He was caught cheating.. no big deal, just try again next season. He should have just let it go and run down BJ at the 250 and nerf him for snitching.

My issue with the checkpoint protest was that it didn't look like a legit checkpoint to me (even though it turns out it was). Last year at the Mil, Bill (Mirage Racing), Tom (Bourne) and John (The AUTOFAB legend himself) had way more lighting then this checkpoint.

Maybe they should do the protests like in football where if you challenge and get it wrong, you lose a time out. Maybe if you protest and are wrong, you start from the rear of the field at the next corresponding race or start from your same position but have to run 35-inch tires for the whole race.

Im gonna disagree a bit here Auggie..... yes he is being a little bit girlie by protesting, but both of these guys have bosses to keep happy, and BJ submitted the protest which takes the win from Tavo. Now tavo gets this video, and I am sure he is thinking, this guy should be held to the same standard.

Now, everyone is saying the chkpoint was not well lit, but in the original video, you can see a ton of bikes stopping in time, so I am not sure why they were able to see it, and BJ couldnt..... oh well, it will be interesting to see what happens 2013.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

robertcrav wrote:From the report, there was no 1/4 mile warning or other that there was supposed to be at that checkpoint. And the fact try we're 700ft off where they were supposed to be according to the GPS file had to have played into it as well

How come the other people saw the stop sign!! The Southwest airlines dude was waving his glowsticks.... im bitter about this. It should be applied across the board.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

tcm glx wrote:
Agui-E7TE wrote:Honestly, Tavo protesting that just came across as him being a little B**** about losing the win! He was caught cheating.. no big deal, just try again next season. He should have just let it go and run down BJ at the 250 and nerf him for snitching.

Im gonna disagree a bit here Auggie..... yes he is being a little bit girlie by protesting, but both of these guys have bosses to keep happy, and BJ submitted the protest which takes the win from Tavo. Now tavo gets this video, and I am sure he is thinking, this guy should be held to the same standard.

Now, everyone is saying the chkpoint was not well lit, but in the original video, you can see a ton of bikes stopping in time, so I am not sure why they were able to see it, and BJ couldnt..... oh well, it will be interesting to see what happens 2013.

Okay, I get what you're saying from purely a business standpoint and agree that if that's the case and he was ordered by higher up's, then the protest is fine but if he made the decision to protest out of spite it's just not cool. If he wants payback he should race him harder at the next race to show him up.

As far as trucks not being able to see it and bikes could, I think Andy as well as others who ride bikes can tell us that they observe a lot more of their surroundings than the average car/truck driver. I'm sure all the bike guys saw it because they might not be going as fast as the trucks at night and can actually make out the checkpoint as opposed to a TT that's flying down the course assuming the checkpoint just wasn't there because it wasn't where it was supposed to be so they figure just stand on it and see what happens.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

Checkpoints are up to the people running them to decide if there was a problem. According to the rulebook nobody else is supposed to be hanging around or pitting near checkpoints so it should be only a danger to the flag guy since they did away with stubs in the can. If they did not file a protest against BJ for running it and they recorded him as going through it is done. They do not always make you stop. If they can identify the car number or vehicle sometimes they wave you on through after you slow down a little. He did slow up. I cant make out the flagger in the video. I am also sure they had been hearing about the first car on the road and possibly following it on the tracker to know when to be expecting 4 wheel vehicles. (Or maybe the checkpoint workers just like BJ..)
Tavo's protest was nothing but spite. He has nothing to gain but moving from 8th to 7th. He also didnt notice that in his video evidence he also ran the checkpoint like everyone else did in the dark hours, but SCORE did.
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

I've been trying hard to stay out of this but I can't stand it anymore so I'm just going to say it.

Cheaters never prosper.

There I said it and I fell much better. Thank you.[/size]

Seriously I don't understand the whole need to cheat to win. What kind of victory is that? I'd rather give it my best within the confines of the rules and lose than have to cheat to win. I'm also a firm believer in karma. Its hard enough to beat the desert but with a truckload of bad karma chasing you down the course your doomed.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

MOSS2 wrote:Checkpoints are up to the people running them to decide if there was a problem. According to the rulebook nobody else is supposed to be hanging around or pitting near checkpoints so it should be only a danger to the flag guy since they did away with stubs in the can. If they did not file a protest against BJ for running it and they recorded him as going through it is done. They do not always make you stop. If they can identify the car number or vehicle sometimes they wave you on through after you slow down a little. He did slow up. I cant make out the flagger in the video. I am also sure they had been hearing about the first car on the road and possibly following it on the tracker to know when to be expecting 4 wheel vehicles. (Or maybe the checkpoint workers just like BJ..)
Tavo's protest was nothing but spite. He has nothing to gain but moving from 8th to 7th. He also didnt notice that in his video evidence he also ran the checkpoint like everyone else did in the dark hours, but SCORE did.
Tavo was video taped running the same checkpoint....
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

MOSS2 wrote:Checkpoints are up to the people running them to decide if there was a problem. According to the rulebook nobody else is supposed to be hanging around or pitting near checkpoints so it should be only a danger to the flag guy since they did away with stubs in the can. If they did not file a protest against BJ for running it and they recorded him as going through it is done. They do not always make you stop. If they can identify the car number or vehicle sometimes they wave you on through after you slow down a little. He did slow up. I cant make out the flagger in the video. I am also sure they had been hearing about the first car on the road and possibly following it on the tracker to know when to be expecting 4 wheel vehicles. (Or maybe the checkpoint workers just like BJ..)

Actually, he did notice he ran the checkpoint. He mentioned it on Facebook he was aware he would likely get penalized as well. He also mentioned he did make an attempt to stop, where BJ did not. I think at this point, tavo felt if he wasnt going to win, then BJ shouldnt either. Dont think he cares for 8th or 7th place, he was not in it for a points battle.

If BJ had been DQd or penalized, he would not only have lost the race, but it had pretty severe implications on his championship.....
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

[quote="flyinbronco"]I've been trying hard to stay out of this but I can't stand it anymore so I'm just going to say it.

Cheaters never prosper.

There I said it and I fell much better. Thank you.[/size]

Yes you do say it all the time I can hear it in my mind Rick.

Im not really a fan of either Tavo or BJ's style but seems to be a huge difference to me in instances. Tavo had to have at least four people talk and coordinated the breaking of a known rule that has been implemented and publicized recently and often. BJ had about 3 seconds to say "$$Hoot was that a check? Its supposed to be ahead of us!" Either way what a waste...
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

I think that check was one that was in my section, and as I recall it came up completely by suprise. As SCORE said, they had a coordination problem and the warning signs (check 1/4 mile ahead,etc.) did not make it out there. There was corner or something and then all of sudden you were right in the middle of it. It was also dark for us, but we were able to just make the stop because we aren't even doing half the speed of a TT. As was said, the workers still saw the numbers and knowing they had an improperly set up site, didn't even bother to report any problems. As was also said, they will usually just wave you through when they recognize the vehicle.
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

Can't tell if SCORE has a sense of humor or if they are serious....

Posted to their FB Page just now... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

TrevorPiggott
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...

Post by TrevorPiggott »

robertcrav wrote:Can't tell if SCORE has a sense of humor or if they are serious....

Posted to their FB Page just now... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

I vote for Andy McMillin....
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
Baja Bill
Bronco Info: Grew up under Bill Stroppe and used to work in Signal Hill for him!

Post by Baja Bill »

Spent my Baja 1000 in the airplane with Weatherman and "Weatherwoman" (Sharlene) performing radio relay and doing interpreting (Spanish) because well all have heard Steinberger's feeble attempts to speak that language. :?

Perhaps the biggest snarl was Loreto International Airport, which stayed open for us during the event. To keep in open required FEES; lots of assorted fees and costs - I cannot disclose the amounts but it was absurd in that the airport was open "7 a.m. to 7 p.m.", and each time we were on approach to refuel, the "Tower" would keep us in a darn holding pattern just enough to make us land 10 - 20 minutes "late"; this meant having to pay some silly "late fee". :x

When I can figure out how to post photos, I'll do so - there is nothing spectacular.
"Baja Bill"
"SCORE 21"
619-916-6155
wayfastwhitie
Bronco Info: 1989 4in lift billie 5100

Post by wayfastwhitie »

Screw winning... atleast they finished!