Baja Expeditions 2012

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: Baja Expeditions 2012

Post by tcm glx »

Broncodawg wrote:Nice video Augi! Hey guys, curious question never got around to asking Sat. night.
Was it the high tide that kept us off the beach, as thought we would be running the beach for a ways?
Being back of the pack, heard a little about some rerouting, but nothing more and great time regardless, but wondering?

Hey Greg,
So most of the run isn't actually on the beach, it's right in front of it. Passed Erendira, there are a few section where u can jump straight on the beach, and then when we peeled back ino the real rocky section, there is another good spot but those weren't part of the route.......
Beam Junkie

Post by Beam Junkie »

What a great trip. My hat (helmet?) is off to Tom, Tony and Chris for all the hard work they put in for both us and most of all for the kids at el Oasis. I would also like to thank everyone involved for rescuing and then dragging my happy ass around the peninsula for the weekend. A very special thanks goes to James Marquez and crew for picking me up off of the quota after a very long morning hike. Thanks guys, and I can’t wait to ride with you.

I would really like to thank Tom and Jules and Tiff and Courtney for picking up this urchin and the broken Husky off of some street corner and hauling me back to HP ranch, and I was still able to hitch a ride with John in the SP F100, epic! Although, I have been informed that I owe both couples a photo of the Maria de Carmen. I can’t wait for the redemption trip!

I would also like to thank Matt and Anne for taking me home. At this point, Matt and I would like to claim the award for longest border wait: 5 hrs, 40 min. Give unto Caesar that which is Caesars’. We did, though, have a good time walking around and getting street tacos during the ordeal.

Great pics everyone, if I had known that I would be in a truck for the trip I would have brought a camera.

Caesar out.
Give unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Beam Junkie wrote: longest border wait: 5 hrs, 40 min. .
Thats rough... Andy and I were the 2 Broncos that slipped though in 1 hour 35 minutes. :mrgreen:
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

That is rough! Caesar 5 hours 40 ? You had time to shoot Caligula II

"Hell its Caesar"
Beam Junkie

Post by Beam Junkie »

flyinbronco wrote:I over heard someone on the second day say that a GPS is just fluff and not necessary but I disagree. With a group that large and rigs of different cababilities getting spread out it would have helped some of the back markers find they're way much easier. Just my 2 cents.
philofab wrote:I wish I had one... I took a wrong turn once. 3 miles of what turned into single track.
I apologize in advance and I don’t mean to hijack the thread but, I would like to offer my $0.02 worth on this matter. Though most know that I rarely have less than a $1.75 to say. I would say that a GPS is good for these large groups, but that is not really what this post is about. A GPS can be a good thing, however, it does one undesirable thing; it won’t let you get lost. I believe that Baja is about the road less traveled and what we have left for adventure, and all of that is different when you always know where you are and you always know were to go. I can offer a small but I feel convincing argument. This event actually happened but it is abbreviated for both the sake of brevity and finger fatigue. It occurred in the late 80’s before GPS, although not before trillion dollar defense budgets that could supply the DOD with all sorts of new and exciting toys. And I will tell this tale of adventure twice, once without GPS and once with GPS.

Without GPS:

Buck (yes, BajaBuck) and I had just passed a race checkpoint that the Federales didn’t want to let people back through, so, we wanted to find an alternate path back to the race course. We turned left off of Mex 3 and headed what we thought was north. I couldn’t relate how many hills we climbed or turns we took thinking that the race course was around the next bend or over the next hill. We had to take a break from searching for race action to feed our future expanding waistlines. After what seemed like many hours of serious off roading we came to the end of this trail at a little hacienda behind a well built for Baja steel gate, not the normal barbed wire loop gates. Buck and I got out and looked around calling for anyone in hopes of directions to either the race course or civilization. We could see trucks parked around the few houses in this small valley but there were no people to be seen or heard. After no longer that a few minutes I look over and Buck is frozen, staring in the direction of a small farmed plot. I walked over to where he was standing and we were staring at at least 30 Marijuana plants that were 6 feet tall. He and I were no longer calling for anyone. We quietly and quickly made our way back to the truck, I don’ even think that we were belted in before we were under way. That was the first time that I really stretched the legs on the little Ranger and gave it a serious flogging. The trail that ad taken 4 hours to find the end of, with no race action, had only taken 1 hour to get back to the highway, and on to Ensenada for dinner.

With GPS:

Buck (yes, BajaBuck) and I had just passed a race checkpoint that the Federales didn’t want to let people back through. So, we went to Ensenada for lunch.

I am not saying that a GPS is not a worthwhile investment, I own several. But which trip would you have rather been on?
Last edited by Beam Junkie on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
vred
Jelly
Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 4x4 5.8, Bilsten Susp, 35 Inch BFG ATs, Custom Bumpers...chase prep BajaHID

Post by vred »

Yeah, unfortunately the wait is dependent on the inspector. It could be a few cars and if they are slow, it takes forever. For those that go to Mexico 2 or more times a year, I reccomend you apply for a Sentri pass. Google it, it's a quick pass. I use this daily since i work in TJ and liv in San Diego.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Darren, no trophy van action?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Nick wrote:Darren, no trophy van action?
Darren rode a bike that wasn't a Honda into Mexico and didn't tell anyone he was coming, and it broke down before he got to town. He was able to hitch a ride after pushing it for 10 miles.

Moral of this story: Let people know you are coming and ride red.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Baja Expeditions 2012

Post by D1cker1 »

It took us 2.5hrs at the border and we left about 7am. At some BBQ tacos, an had to detour from our shortcut.

Definitely let someone know your coming to Mexico as well,but I understand the intent
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Post by bajabuck »

Yup. if you want old school baja adventure go without gps. if you have somewhere to be at any certain time you sould have a gps. Not everyone is gifted like me and has a gps build into their head. (waiting for Darin to stop laughing so he can reply)

Those old trips were the best. we got lost and actually "discovered stuff" . it was a little hairy at times when you got low on fuel, but somehow we always made it home.

besides it's not like you can ever really get THAT lost. its a penisula!...
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

RyanDS650X wrote:
Beam Junkie wrote: longest border wait: 5 hrs, 40 min. .
Thats rough... Andy and I were the 2 Broncos that slipped though in 1 hour 35 minutes. :mrgreen:

Yep, that was us!!

"Ready Lane" = Passport Card Only!!! Worked GREAT :D
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
Beam Junkie

Post by Beam Junkie »

philofab wrote:
Nick wrote:Darren, no trophy van action?
Darren rode a bike that wasn't a Honda into Mexico and didn't tell anyone he was coming, and it broke down before he got to town. He was able to hitch a ride after pushing it for 10 miles.

Moral of this story: Let people know you are coming and ride red.
Nick, no Trophy Van action this time. But, I do have an epic tale of romance and adventure. And I did have a one man rescue team awaiting, if needed and the Husky is red. Besides, I am not that moral of a person.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Beam Junkie wrote: Nick, no Trophy Van action this time. But, I do have an epic tale of romance and adventure. And I did have a one man rescue team awaiting, if needed and the Husky is red. Besides, I am not that moral of a person.
:lol:
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I love that the stories are still trickling in. Baja at its best! Great job guys!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

BajaF250 wrote:Ok, it's time to admit the carnage! Who had technical problems???? As far as I know this list of damage and carnage (Philo started!):

BajaF250 - taco'd BRAND NEW beadlock wheel!
flyinbronco - fuel pump and fuel tank
Ryan G. - flat tire
Mattc - destroyed radiator shroud, ripped radiator and possible engine damage?
Darin - seized bike motor! New "Baja" name: Ceasar! All hail!
Philo -
philofab wrote:List of parts needing replacement or modification this weekend:
Hood hinge
Seat mount
Coil mount
37 Kevlar Goodyear
Radiator
AC liquid line
Many loose bolts
don't forget the battery mount

I think that's all I'm aware of... ok, time to fess up! What other carnage is out there?

Contacted Trail Ready and talked with the owner... he didn't even want to know how I bent the wheel... he asked me to just send it back and a new one is on it's way!

I can't find a mark anywhere on my new BFG KM2's... inside or out. So, I'm getting them x-rayed for any potential internal cord damage. We shall see in a few days!
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Thats great customer service!!
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

My tech problems:
dirty mass air causing leaning out - engine light popped on as I rolled out of Tom's home.

I described the problem to Mark Kiefer and his first guess turned out correct, fixed in 20 minutes (15 min spent going to Autozone for Mass Air cleaner)
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

WOW, what a trip! Michael and myself send a profound thanks to everyone on the trip, for your friendship and concern. I cant pin down what caused our sickness on the Friday, but it was worse than it looked, I was completely trashed by the time we got to HP Ranch, and Mike was really crook for a few days after. We pulled up enough to get through and really got to enjoy the scenery and the comeradery.

Tom, Chris, Tony: You guys are incredible, this trip was truly epic and your flawless organisation and execution was outstanding. I cannot wait for the next trip! Absolutely weel done, guys :D

Rick: You didnt slow us down at all, I was happy to have your back and that lost ramp would have caused untold headaches if we weren't following. I would have towed you out, sick or otherwise, I owed you that :D It was good to see you back in action on the Saturday and Kelly is a lovely girl, good luck to the both of you, hope she enjoyed the weekend :D

Rob? (Quailhunter): Thank you for the electrolyte drink, it really helped us get back into the mood for Saturday. I owe you one for that :D

Andy, Philo, Michael (Guard), Dave (Gunit), Vic, Brian, Ryan (both of you), John, and all the GFB guys (and girls) whos names I cant remember right now who came along, thank you for your company and it was a pleasure to meet the new guys and girls, parents, friends and compadres. :D

Tiff: I admire a girl who can wheel her Ranger as well as you can. Hope to see you out there again next time, hopefully I'll have my truck and I look forward to the chase :D
I'm beat, if I forgot anyone, I am truly sorry. Again, the comeradery, friendship and great atmosphere was present again, this forum has the BEST people, we couldnt have asked for a better group. :D I have to admit, reluctantly, that the Jeep is trail worthy, if not ready :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lastly, before I pass out, a HUGE thank you to Bill Varnes and Maddie, for the great tech session about shocks and tuning. We were really late getting to it, and missed a lot, but the little I got there for was very valuable, and filled in a lot of blanks in the dark art of shock tuning. Its a shame the big Chevy couldnt be there, but the fond memories are still there, good luck with the sale. :D

An epic trip, the BEST PEOPLE on the planet, in the BEST PLACE ON EARTH!!!!
BAJA!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Great gps story Darren and great to meet another Autofaber. Was hoping you'd found the long lost Valley of the Amazon Women that the legendary baja wanderer "Lucho" has written about. Who knows, maybe you did, but don't blame you for not waiting to find out...haha!!!

Could someone post up the contact info for El Oasis as like to learn more about the operation and contributing and others might be interested too? Can't remember the name of the parent org? Thanks
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Here you go Greg:

Parent organization is the International Children's Care: http://www.forhiskids.org/

El Oasis Orphanage site: http://www.eloasisbaja.net/

Let me know if you need Daniel (El Oasis' representative) contact cell number

Chris