Baja Expeditions 2012

BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Re: Baja Expeditions 2012

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:
flyinbronco wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:A question for those that participated... how many of you had a GPS and downloaded the trails we used? Were they useful? Did they suit your needs? Did you find them accurate? Let me know... just a process improvement question.

I had the trails downloaded on my GPS and yes they were accurate and yes they were useful.

I over heard someone on the second day say that a GPS is just fluff and not necessary but I disagree. With a group that large and rigs of different cababilities getting spread out it would have helped some of the back markers find they're way much easier. Just my 2 cents.
I wish I had one... I took a wrong turn once. 3 miles of what turned into single track.
When I had to deviate from the planned course to get us to Johnson Ranch, I used the topo maps on the GPS to help get us back on track... BIG - HUGE help for me!
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:I had no GPS, forgot my book, and no working radio (just a handheld).
You know, yours is the first I've heard that had problems with the Maratrac... errr, well, except Rick, but his is just a fuze!

Have you worked on it yet and figured out what the issue is?
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

AAA Baja map and a compass, and i can get anywhere! :lol:
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Baja Expeditions 2012

Post by philofab »

BajaF250 wrote:
philofab wrote:I had no GPS, forgot my book, and no working radio (just a handheld).
You know, yours is the first I've heard that had problems with the Maratrac... errr, well, except Rick, but his is just a fuze!

Have you worked on it yet and figured out what the issue is?
I have not messed with it. From the manuals I have read the most likely external issue could be the small gauge orange and green wires for the control head. The green wire powers the receiver; the orange wire enables the transmitter (which allows a mobile installation to use the ignition key as a "transmit enable" switch simply by connecting the orange wire to a switched circuit). I will check those before I bust out the oscilloscope and start looking for internal issues. Darren said they are not worth fixing since they are so cheap to buy but I don't have programming capability.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
dperez9004
Bronco Info: 94 Ford Bronco Stock

Post by dperez9004 »

I would like to thank the organizers Tony, Tom and Chris (in no particular order)for all of their time and effort put in to making this run totally awesome. My son and I had a blast. Also I'd like to thank Bill and Maddy for the really cool shock tech presentation. I learned a lot....even if what I learned about King's stung a little. We were lucky enough to have dinner with them. You can sit and talk to them forever.
It was really cool to meet and put faces and real names to the screen names my son and I have seen here on gofastbroncos while building our truck. Everybody was amazing and have really cool trucks.

Thankfully no carnage to report while on the trails. I did however have my passenger window quit working while waiting at the Border. It was stuck in the down position, which left my AC struggling to keep up with all the hot air coming in. It turns out some speaker wire got caught in the gears.

I did not have a lowrance GPS but I bought a GPS puck(for just in case) that got connected to a small laptop that worked pretty good on the first day. The second day it kept losing connection to the puck so I turned it off. I got it the day before so I didn't have much time to play with it.

Thanks again to all involved. I cant wait for the next trip.
vred
Jelly
Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 4x4 5.8, Bilsten Susp, 35 Inch BFG ATs, Custom Bumpers...chase prep BajaHID

Post by vred »

A GPS is a must. That way I don't have to keep telling Yikes, you are on the right path. Hahaha. I had to keep my distance since I am still a rookie FSB driver plus sucking dust from this big toys is no fun. Nespecially when he is on the gas.

Tom the file was accurate except for the crop dusting incident, which is no ones fault.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Crop dusting is always frowned upon... weather going fast or casually walking past unsuspecting folks :lol:
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Yeah Tom. Mostly north of the shipwreck.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

philofab wrote:Darren said they are not worth fixing since they are so cheap to buy but I don't have programming capability.
Darren does.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
philofab wrote:Darren said they are not worth fixing since they are so cheap to buy but I don't have programming capability.
Darren does.
I know. I told him to fix it when I drove him into town.

I seem to be really good at breaking things that don't break.
CITYRAT
Bronco Info: 93 Bronco Prerunner

Post by CITYRAT »

What a bummer I couldnt make the trip, Looked like a huge success. Lots of fun and helping out the less fortunate. Great job. Now for some shit talking!...Where the hell are the action shots???.. You guys out for just a sunday drive...Nobody ended up in the pacific? ( JesseJones).. Ha..Lets see some pics!..
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

tcm glx wrote: Interesting story to this one:

Plenty of action in this one, lol
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Care to explain?
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

We accidentally drove on a farm road that wasn't fenced off and the municipal police were called within seconds. The cool thing is no guns were pointed at us in this one :lol:

It's kinda hard trying to run through Baja with the size of the group that we had without attracting unwanted attention.
Drilim
Bronco Info: 94

Post by Drilim »

I'm envious. Trip looks like a great time. I spent that weekend in the Dominican Republic working on someone elses toy. Next trip its on! I need a ride along sponsor now!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Agui-E7TE wrote:We accidentally drove on a farm road that wasn't fenced off and the municipal police were called within seconds. The cool thing is no guns were pointed at us in this one :lol:

It's kinda hard trying to run through Baja with the size of the group that we had without attracting unwanted attention.

Steve,
This is the nuts and bolts of it. Tom had point and we missed a minor turn away from the beach an instead of running behind a farmers land, we ran in front of it. A farmer asked us to turn around and go back out, I was sweeping and so I all of a sudden was running point, right into the cops. The farmer had Notified the PD we crossed into his territory. Super friendly cops, a chat with them and the Commander in chief and we were on our way.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Sounds like Mex. Glad it didn't turn into anything "bad" but as you know - as long as you're not a total a-hole the cops can usually be pretty cool and let you carry on as you were.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

CITYRAT wrote:What a bummer I couldnt make the trip, Looked like a huge success. Lots of fun and helping out the less fortunate. Great job. Now for some shit talking!...Where the hell are the action shots???.. You guys out for just a sunday drive...Nobody ended up in the pacific? ( JesseJones).. Ha..Lets see some pics!..
I look foreward to the Gopro footage that a few of the rigs have. I didnt have my Gopro this year.... my brother forgot it.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

We need to rent a helicoptor for these trips like the trophy truck guys. Then we could get some real action shots. Heck we even have our own pilot.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
philofab
Basura Blanca

Baja Expeditions 2012

Post by philofab »

Quite of few of us hit 70+ mph, and I even heard a story of a cattle gate at 93 mph.

Video would make it obvious beyond a doubt that I need a cage and five points.

*** Edit ***

Is it wrong that I want a GPS so I can try for the high score?