Baja Expeditions 2012

Races, meets, etc
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Re: Baja Expeditions 2012

Post by BajaF250 »

Nick wrote:
yikes wrote:I wish we were heading back down there this weekend!! Sometimes you don't realize just how much fun you had until you get home.
Sure, rub it in...
Nick! I can't believe you didn't go! You missed a good one! :lol:
vred
Jelly
Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 4x4 5.8, Bilsten Susp, 35 Inch BFG ATs, Custom Bumpers...chase prep BajaHID

Post by vred »

First of all thanks to the organizers. As everyone posted, kick butt trip. It was a perfect...great people, great trails, awesome food, and dem tasty margaritas.

I would also like to thank my little bro. Our dad is proud that he is a key contributor (his legacy lives on) to this and I am frickin happy how bitchin he can build a bronco. I love mine and enjoy it a ton when off road with a great buch of folks. TheRojoOffRoadPrep is the bomb.

As we say in Mexico, "que se repite". Translation, let's do this again.

Rory, I like ur Chevy amigo. Nice!
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Looks like a great trip! My wife and I would enjoy a trip like that.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

A question for those that participated... how many of you had a GPS and downloaded the trails we used? Were they useful? Did they suit your needs? Did you find them accurate? Let me know... just a process improvement question.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I had no GPS, forgot my book, and no working radio (just a handheld).
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

BajaF250 wrote:A question for those that participated... how many of you had a GPS and downloaded the trails we used? Were they useful? Did they suit your needs? Did you find them accurate? Let me know... just a process improvement question.

I had the trails downloaded on my GPS and yes they were accurate and yes they were useful.

I over heard someone on the second day say that a GPS is just fluff and not necessary but I disagree. With a group that large and rigs of different cababilities getting spread out it would have helped some of the back markers find they're way much easier. Just my 2 cents.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

flyinbronco wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:A question for those that participated... how many of you had a GPS and downloaded the trails we used? Were they useful? Did they suit your needs? Did you find them accurate? Let me know... just a process improvement question.

I had the trails downloaded on my GPS and yes they were accurate and yes they were useful.

I over heard someone on the second day say that a GPS is just fluff and not necessary but I disagree. With a group that large and rigs of different cababilities getting spread out it would have helped some of the back markers find they're way much easier. Just my 2 cents.
I wish I had one... I took a wrong turn once. 3 miles of what turned into single track.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

flyinbronco wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:I over heard someone on the second day say that a GPS is just fluff and not necessary but I disagree. With a group that large and rigs of different cababilities getting spread out it would have helped some of the back markers find they're way much easier. Just my 2 cents.

Ditto, GPS file worked WONDERFUL for me Tom.... helped when taking lead and sweep!
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Heck yeah, GPS is a necessity for sure. I can't imagine trying to get through without it. It's on the to do list for sure.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I ran without last year and needless to say i own one now. Best thing to have.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Baja Expeditions 2012

Post by D1cker1 »

After being slow in the trail.. I wish I had that extra insurance of a gps..

Maybe Santa will bring one
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Same here T Mack! I was having my co-dog look for dust in the distance and that's how I was staying on course. Not the best way to prerun, lol.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Seems like a few places (other than the actual Baja 500 course) were considerably off..... at least for me. Maybe my antenna sucks??

Signed,
Backmarker
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Silverslk wrote:Seems like a few places (other than the actual Baja 500 course) were considerably off..... at least for me. Maybe my antenna sucks??

Signed,
Backmarker
Not sure it's the antenna. You're welcome to test it against my 4000 when you come over next. Oh, and on that note - I may not be in the shop tomorrow night. Need to go buy more wedding whatnots so might have to skip the shop.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

flyinbronco wrote:I over heard someone on the second day say that a GPS is just fluff and not necessary but I disagree. With a group that large and rigs of different cababilities getting spread out it would have helped some of the back markers find they're way much easier. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, that was me Rick, but I was just being funny. I'm dying to get a GPS. It seems to be one of those items that keeps evading me. Now that I've got a cage, I just need some new tires and as long as the motor holds (knock on wood), the GPS is next on the list. I really really wish I had one on the trip. Sucks to get out front and then have to wait for someone to tell you where to turn. Haha!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Silverslk wrote:Seems like a few places (other than the actual Baja 500 course) were considerably off..... at least for me. Maybe my antenna sucks??

Signed,
Backmarker

You were also using the wrong file the first day........Lol
Last edited by tcm glx on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Baja Expeditions 2012

Post by D1cker1 »

tcm glx wrote:

Signed,
Backmarker

You were also using the wrong file the first day........
o_O
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Baja Expeditions 2012

Post by robertcrav »

yikes wrote:
flyinbronco wrote:I over heard someone on the second day say that a GPS is just fluff and not necessary but I disagree. With a group that large and rigs of different cababilities getting spread out it would have helped some of the back markers find they're way much easier. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, that was me Rick, but I was just being funny. I'm dying to get a GPS. It seems to be one of those items that keeps evading me. Now that I've got a cage, I just need some new tires and as long as the motor holds (knock on wood), the GPS is next on the list. I really really wish I had one on the trip. Sucks to get out front and then have to wait for someone to tell you where to turn. Haha!
there's a 10" in the FB OffRoad Classifieds
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Signed,
Backmarker
What file were you using?

If the course you were trying to follow was between the stop north of the shipwreck and Johnson Ranch, we were actually not on the intended course. We had to deviate from the planned route to get around some fenced fields that I didn't see when building the course and map. Were you off elsewhere?
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

I think... and Andy may correct me here, but he was using lst years file on day one, and he mentioned there were a few times when we seemed to be slightly off the actual line...