Congrats to kaveman for 1st place!

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Congrats to kaveman for 1st place!

Post by tcm glx »

1st place at the season opening MORE race.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Re: Congrats to kaveman for 1st place!

Post by Silverslk »

tcm glx wrote:1st place at the season opening MORE race.
THATS AWESOME!!!!!!!! I wish I could have been there.... what a Birthday gift!!
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Thats awesome! Way to go!
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

What an awesome race. I'm glad I could be a part of it. Had a great time chasing for you Matt and Jeremy. Congrats on the win. Well deserved. Pics to follow.

Chris
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Here are some of the pics I took yesterday. Matt, Jer and Tony I'll email you all the pics as promised.

Kaveman's 990 car reach Ant Hill:

Kaveman chase vehicles:

My son Tony drove as I co-dog'd for him. Thanks to John for letting me borrow my old Bronco:

As we were out near the course Gabe noticed a ranger roll as he yelled, "Oh sh-t!" We all turned around and watched the red ranger barrell roll a few times. We jumped into action and raced over to the vehicle:

Tony was able to hook up his bronco and get the ranger back on it's wheels. The rear end had seized up and split near the 3rd member. Luckily the driver and co-driver walked away with no injuries.

Well at the end of the race we were all jazzed to see our 990 car come in first place. I'll let Matt and Jeremy give you the race details but we were all proud to be part of the Kaveman crew. Congrats to Kaveman for the 1st finish over five other C9 cars.

Chris
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Thank you Tony!
Well as Tony said the first race of the 2011 season was the race we have been working towards and to top it off it was my dads Birthday with Matts just 2 days away.
First and foremost I want to send out a great big thank you to the pit team, TCMGLX (Tony), Gabe, bajachris, Fixxor, Desert Bronco
Jason and crew form Tut Tech racing. Without all of the superb efforts of all of these folks our race would have been much different. The team cannot give all of the volunteers that support us enough credit! (if I missed someones name I am sorry)
Matt and I arrived with the car in Barstow friday to some spectacular weather. We took a quick tour of the course in the bronco and to our surprise the rains in December made some pretty drastic changes to the terrain.
We arrived at tech early with hopes of getting back to camp for a nice relaxing evening but things as we were to soon find out would not work out quite that way. We were first car through tech and on the way back to the trailer Matt stopped to talk to some friends and when he went to restart the car we heard a horrid whine that could only be stopped by slapping the master disconnect switch!
Neither of us where sure what the noise was but now had no electrical power at all...Oh No! We push the car to a suitable position and pull out the test light only to find out that the battery was dead. Okay no biggie right....Well we hook up the car to the bronco and it turns over once then reverts to the whine. WTF now both of us are thinking starter but not sure so we pull the starter out to test it on the ground all appears well but we didn't have a voltmeter. We go ahead and put it back in and try jumping it again with the same results but then I see smoke. The jumper cables were melting.EEK! SO we decide to grab a new Battery and ignition switch thinking that the dry cell somehow shorted out. Its getting dark now and Matt and I are starting to get worried. We get the new battery in with the the switch only to have similiar results. We decide to bypass the battery all together and run the electrical off the bronco. Well the car starts and both Matt and I eyeball the voltmeter in the car and the alternator seems to be overcharging. So after a bit of debate we make a phone call to our Dad who had not gotten on the road yet and had him grab the spare alternator and for good measure I grab a new power cable from vato zone while Matt gets the car back to camp and starts teardown.
By the time I got the power cable and back to camp Matt had the car ready so we broke to eat while we waited for the alternator which wasn't getting to us for another 3 hours (1130pm). In the interest of time we get the new alternator in and have the same results the car turns over once and then the whine with no juice after that. We have a voltmeter now and we start continuity checks to find out the starter itself had a short. This starter only has 2 races on it arrg. Its now 1am and everyone seems to be in for the night so we decide to get up early and see if we can find a new starter. The mood of the team at this point was somber and we were considering not racing.
Matt took off about 530 the next morning to hunt for a new starter and I got to work on the car removing the starter and verifying we had no other shorts in the electrical. I confirmed the starter was shorted to the case once out of the car and also found out that our brand new battery disconnect switch also replaced last night due to breaking it was bad. We had no way to disconnect the battery if something went bad now. Matt shows up with a starter and we get it installed. Before we add power we all discuss things once again to make sure we don't have another problem that would cause us to fry this starter. Another racer loaned it to us after he pulled it off of his pre runner! Everything appears to be good and we have power but not enough battery left to fire the car. So back to the jumper cables. The car fires and suddenly a 10ft spout of oil shoot out form the oil filter arrg. Luckily it was just the seal on the filter. SO we send dad to the drivers meeting while Matt and I get the filter off and reseat the o-ring. We get that done and the car seems fine now. It is now 715 and we still had a ton to set up in the pits and the team was showing up. With a flurry of activity and a pit meeting we get the details handled and its time to get the car to the line.
Matt, Gary and myself had a great deal of apprehension at this point hoping nothing else would happen. As the first of the unlimited cars come by at the blistering pace of 35mph lol I am still with the help of Matt B getting the pit situated. By the time the 990 comes by I am set up and crossing my fingers. About 10 min after the car passes we get a call on the radio that at MM3 the car lost the front left tire...oh no I was jsut hoping this was not a sign of things to come. Matt and I grab the front spare and a jack toss it in the bronco and head off. Tony and crew were already at the car getting the flat loose and as we pull up its faster to lift the car and swap tires so we do it and get the car off and on its way.
As lap 1 progresses Matt is finding his groove and racing to catch the rest of the 9s. He had 6 in class cars to catch and about 15 other cars to work through. We bring the car in as lap 2 starts for a quick tightening of ball joints since we had not had a chance to run the car before the race. Quick stop that leaves the 990 in 6th place in class with about 13 min to make up on the lead 9 car. Off they go and by the time they pass Tony at MM 11 they have moved into 5th place. Lap 2 is completed and lap 3 finds the 990 making up time on the lead. We are down by about 5 min off the lead and Matt is moved into 4th place with 3rd place dust in sight. Matt laid down a 46 min lap and Lap 4 begins, Matt has set a blistering pace and by MM11 catches the 2nd place car Tony got to see . Shortly after he finds the lead car and begins what was to be a battle till the end. We needed to take fuel at the end of this lap and now I am getting excited as we are physically in the lead. The stop required a full dump of 10 gallons of fuel as well as a driver change. I make the recommendation to Matt and Gary that we not do the driver swap, we cannot afford the extra time. Matt and Gary agree Tony and crew make the trip back to main to assist with the fuel stop. Matt comes sliding into the pits and the pit team gets him out in 3min only dropping 2 places.
Matt catches the lead car again by mid course and is pulling away form him. The two cars were still very close with only a minute between them. By lap 6 Matt has gained another 30 seconds on the lead. The decision was made that we would do a quick stop and go stop to check ball joints one more time. The pit crew ham the 990 back out on course in 13 seconds with the 903 car only 46 seconds behind him. By the time matt passes Tony at MM14 he had opened the lead up to 1:30 sec. As the 990 continued down the course and passes Tony for the final time Tony waits for the next 9 car and to our surprise the second and third place cars were more than 15 min behind. We later found out both cars had experienced mechanical issues on the last lap. With a comfortable lead Matt and Gary pushed the 990 around for the checkered flag and the first place victory! Great Job to everyone for an epic win and a great story!
THe Kaveman team is still relishing the victory as it has been 3 full seasons of perseverance and hard work by all. Now the monkey is off our back and I fully expect to see the 990 on the podium again. Thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to come help us out without you we could not run a competitive race. I hope to see you all out there in the dirt again soon!
Jeremy
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Great pics chris! Thanks for posting them and thanks for all the help once again!
Jeremy
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Check out this photo sequence 57-60 in the gallery rocks! http://www.olmsp.com/p404810289/e144ed3d1
Jeremy
gunit

Post by gunit »

Great story, congratulations on the win!
fixxor
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(

Post by fixxor »

Congrats on the win! Was great pitting for you guys and was uneventful for me which was a good thing. Every time they came through car looked good. Heard about that ranger that rolled on the radio looks like it was pretty bad. Sorry I didn't stop by afterward I wasn't feeling so well.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Dave Thank you, the team is really stoked for a great start to the season. I just hope we can keep things going financially to build on it.

Fixxor, no worries man. We really appreciate you being there hope your feeling better. I know it was boring for you but I am glad we didnt need you. Great to meet you, and your welcome out with us anytime.
Jeremy
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

A little late, been busy with work and stuff, but here are some pics:
Princess is a dirty little girl:

Matt and Gary for the win!

Little T:

GFB:

Good times:

Breakfast time:
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Sexy:

Everyone was ok:
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Damn driveshaft:

Winner winner chicken dinner:

Ummm

Yeah boy!

Video of out pit:
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Good job guys on the pit stop. Now that's a winning team. :)
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Thanks for posting the pics and VId Tony, wow that stop was faster than I thought. Thanks to everyone agian that makes them happen you guys are great!
BTW Tony can you send me the pic of my dad in the car with his hands up that is a priceless shot!
Jeremy