baja 1000 2010

Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Re: baja 1000 2010

Post by Silverslk »

yogib wrote:What a bummer for the Kia guys.Sounds like they made it all the way to the 990 mile marker or so and the Motor just gave up.No go no more.Our team with the Pro-truck finished 3rd out of 4 but for sure had some issues.Had pit crew not able to make it to some of the planned fueling spots.Had to bum some gas and get some at Pemex station.Alternator issues.Turned out it was the plug on the alternator had a short or break.sucked a air filter which clogged the carb.Lots of WD and 1 junked starter to get it going again.replace starter.Looked like Troy ended up finishing about the same time as the Moss boys.Troy had gotten all the way up to second in class and nerfed 1st and wanted to pass but they picked up the pace and didnt let him around.But then the electrical issuse and fueling issues happened.But all in all a good finish for a first time effort.Im sure that 40 hr. non stop drive home to oregon from La Paz was no fun at all though.
Nice to hear an update. I pit for Blower Racing (Justin Blower)...pronounced like FLOWER but with a B.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Hey Andy - did Justin grow up in South County OC and is he about 30 yrs. old? Think I might have played football with him when I was a kid.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Hey Andy - did Justin grow up in South County OC and is he about 30 yrs. old? Think I might have played football with him when I was a kid.
Sounds about right (tall and skinny). The co-driver is from San Clemente (Parts/Service Director Capo Ford).
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

tcm glx wrote:
toddz69 wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:Anybody heard from Gunit? I'd love to hear his race stories and adventures.
Heard of some of their adventures from one of his drivers on another list. Broke a front axle, I believe, early on and wheel bearing problems eventually took them out of the race.

Todd Z.

It didnt take them out of the race...... they finished!
If I'm not mistaken, they crossedthe finishline, but they timed out which equals a DNF. But, I've gotta tell you, Dave and team did an absolutely fantastic job getting the Bronco through it's first race, the granddaddy of them all, the toughest of them all, plus, it was a pennisula run... absolutely AMAZING! They really provided a great competitive race... Well done!
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Congrats to Moss racing for their eighth Class 3 Championship and it was an honor to chase them down baja and help make it happen. Don Moss is now alone in the record books as the only driver in Score history to win 8 Class Championships in a ten year period and the tired old Bronco apparently has more class wins than any Bronco in Score history!

Great reading your stories from the SF side, Rick and Tom

Eshallbetter, glad to hear the alternator got fixed quick , but sorry about the racer.
Ran into Kia Bob in Insurgentes on our way north saturday. They kept getting stuck in silt beds due to their 33" tires and finally oil pressure took them out.
A Gunit chase truck nicely towed them to the hwy. We were all pulling for a 100% Class 3 finish, but wasn't meant to be. Best racing in class 3 in a long time, more fun than should be legal. Congrats to Gunit for crossing the finish line, regardless of time! Hell of a first race. Put three thousand miles on my truck last week and would do it again in a second for half as much fun. Happy Thanksgiving All!
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
yogib

Post by yogib »

Silverslk wrote:
yogib wrote:What a bummer for the Kia guys.Sounds like they made it all the way to the 990 mile marker or so and the Motor just gave up.No go no more.Our team with the Pro-truck finished 3rd out of 4 but for sure had some issues.Had pit crew not able to make it to some of the planned fueling spots.Had to bum some gas and get some at Pemex station.Alternator issues.Turned out it was the plug on the alternator had a short or break.sucked a air filter which clogged the carb.Lots of WD and 1 junked starter to get it going again.replace starter.Looked like Troy ended up finishing about the same time as the Moss boys.Troy had gotten all the way up to second in class and nerfed 1st and wanted to pass but they picked up the pace and didnt let him around.But then the electrical issuse and fueling issues happened.But all in all a good finish for a first time effort.Im sure that 40 hr. non stop drive home to oregon from La Paz was no fun at all though.
Nice to hear an update. I pit for Blower Racing (Justin Blower)...pronounced like FLOWER but with a B.
Ya Justin is a good guy as well as his whole family.Ya last year at the Silver state Troy i think loaned him some upper 4-link bars so he could finish.And we borrowed some lug nuts from him lol.Good peeps.And I for sure agree Good Job Gunit getting it to the finish line Especially on the madien voyage.
gunit

Post by gunit »

Baja 1K story from 301:

Our race began at 12:44, we were first off the line in class 3.

By the end of the concrete the 300 had caught us and passed us before we turned off into the dirt. I had planned to take it easy as I did not want to end up on someone’s YouTube footage for screwing up in the first few miles after the start.

At around rm 50 near El Alamo we caught and passed the 300 and were able to put a few minutes on them until we had a flat near rm 85 were they passed us back before we could get the tire changed.

We made good time through to the dry lake where we put our Dougan’s horsepower to use we were able to pass 5 or 6 cars. We again caught and passed the 300 in the rough south of San Felipe. At the BFG pit at rm 242 we discovered that we had broken the end off our sway bar, we took a few minutes to secure the arm that remained up and out of the way and the 300 was able to come in, fuel and leave before we were squared away to go.

The next section was really frustrating; despite SCORE posting on the website that no chase teams were to use the race course to cross from Gonzaga over to HWY 1 there were dozens of them. It was infuriating to charge through the dust only to find a loaded chase truck be the source of the dust.

We made it to Coco’s and into the creek. We were really glad to have 4x4 at this point. When we arrived at the bad spot it looked like the river scene from “Apocalypse Now” with people shouting and lights shining everywhere. My co-dog pointed to a bank on the right and we blasted up it and through the willows and we drove around the whole mess.

At about rm 330 just before El Crucero we heard a clunking in the front end, we saw some lights up ahead and pulled over at a camp in what appeared to be the middle of nowhere. We lucked out that the camp was occupied by a group of mechanics from Guerrero Negro. The problem turned out to be the axle shaft that comes out of the third member had broken. We took the drive flanges off tied the long axle out of the way and limped it to rm 335 where our chase team met us at the Baja pits. At the pit, we removed the long axle and slip joint and prepare to continue on with 2 wheel drive only.

We made it to our driver change where I got out of the car on the Bay of LA hwy near rm 360. My brother Dan and his co-dog Jeff Saunders took over. Somewhere in that section Dan got by the 300 and arrived at Vizcaino with about a 20 minute lead. The 300 reeled us in and passed Dan on the fast section near San Jaunico and had a 10 minute lead by the time they came out onto the hwy north of Loreto.

The next section was really rough with very steep hill climbs and lots of rocks. On one of these climbs we rolled a rock up under the car and high centered on the drive shaft. At the driver change at rm 781 we replaced the driveshaft and the air filter and sent the car on its way driven by “Old school 8” Mike Doherty and my godson Jameson Hall.

While on our way to Insurgentes we learned that the car was stopped with what was reported to be a broken spindle at rm 830. We stopped at an auto parts store and junk yard in Insurgentes, bought some bearings and a few parts off a junker F150 and sent the prerunner Bronco out to the race car. We cobbled it together enough to limp it to the BFG pit where we loaded the prerunner Bronco onto the trailer and robbed the spindle and related parts to put on the race car.

We got out of the there a little after 10pm with around 230 miles to go. The fog was horrible and made chasing a challenge. As we headed south we lost radio contact with the race car and for what seemed like an eternity then from our post at rm 950 we heard the car was running and they came by a few minutes later.

After the final BFG pit we got stuck in the silt like nearly everyone else, fortunately an enterprising local was close at hand with a 4x4 pick up and offered to give us a tow for 20 bucks.

I was excited that we were going to finish and decided to take the whole group into town so we could caravan with the racecar to the finish. This turned out to be a big mistake and a case of counting the chickens before they hatch. As while waiting we got a call from my wife at home saying the race car was stopped at rm 1040, damn!

We turned around and blasted back up the road. A second bearing on the spindle with the axle removed had failed and we lost a wheel at speed and crashed into a 4 foot deep rain rut. After getting two chase trucks into the car and hooking them up in tandem we were able to pull the car out of the ditch so we could survey the damage. The damage was not too bad and we had another set of bearings with us so we repaired the car as quickly as possible and when we were ready to go we hit the starter and it went “ clunk” the angle was so severe that the gas from the fuel bowls drained into the cylinders causing a hydro lock. We removed the spark plugs cranked her over, pushed out the gas, replaced the plugs and it fired right up.

During the stop the 303 came by us in a hurry to get to the finish as they were very close on time. By the time we left, we knew that we were not going to make it on time but we were going to drive it in anyway. On the way we passed the 303 sitting dead with lots of oil in the trail. We sent our chase truck back for them and headed to the finish.

So in summary, we made it to the finish 45 minutes late to get an official finish. We should have done more to seal the inner portion of the spindle to protect the bearings from the silt. I am proud of everyone on the team for pushing hard all the way to the end. We learned a lot and proved that we could run well, we will be hard to beat at the 500.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Glad to know you're back Dave. Congratulations on the finish. Timed out or not. Great effort. You and Moss were very entertaining to watch from behind the computer. Leap frog! and then with the Kia near then end. So the spindle that broke, was that the BMS unit? Are they 300M?
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Congrats on the finish Dave, 45 miuntes late or not, the fact that without any race time you guys made it down is a testament to the truck and the build!!

I am sure the kinks will be ironed out quick enough. Any pics?
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

tcm glx wrote:Congrats on the finish Dave, 45 miuntes late or not, the fact that without any race time you guys made it down is a testament to the truck and the build!!

I am sure the kinks will be ironed out quick enough. Any pics?

x2 !!!
vred
Jelly
Bronco Info: 96 Bronco 4x4 5.8, Bilsten Susp, 35 Inch BFG ATs, Custom Bumpers...chase prep BajaHID

Post by vred »

Ditto, finishing the race in the 1st outing is oustanding. Congrats to all.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

gunit

Post by gunit »

yikes wrote: So the spindle that broke, was that the BMS unit? Are they 300M?
We didn't break the spindle, we lost the wheel bearings and ruined the spindle.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

gunit wrote:Baja 1K story from 301.....
Wow, Dave, what a run! Official or not, you should all be proud of the effort and the finish. You guys epitomized the Baja racer! Well done!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

gunit wrote:
yikes wrote: So the spindle that broke, was that the BMS unit? Are they 300M?
We didn't break the spindle, we lost the wheel bearings and ruined the spindle.
Ahh! I misread that.

Look for Moss around 3min.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Great Story Dave! What an adventure for sure. Cant wait to see the next meeting of the class 3s.
Jeremy
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Moss again near the end. Hoped it would show all three, but nope.

PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

what a race/trip!

here are the highlights:
class 1 car finished in 7th without any major mechanical issues. we fixed a few torn cv boots and they got stuck a few times but for the most part it was a clean run.
me and two other guys chased the cl1 car from san ignacio to the bottom in one truck by ourselves. we pitted the car whenever it came close to the hwy and just kept heading south. we busted out butts and got it done, it was awesome!
down in la paz while waiting for the military truck to finish i got invited to chase the last 150 miles from the air in a bad ass plane! it was one of the coolest things i have ever done!
military truck finished and we had some beers to celebrate!
hung out in loreto for a day and did some sight seeing, what a great town! del barracho bar and grill is one of my favorite places in the world!
breakfast at mama's is the best!

i was there for a week and could have been there for at least another. baja is an amazing place and i felt just as safe as i do at home. glad to be back with the fam but am counting down the days until i can do it again!

pics are on my facebook page or here for those of you that still won't submit to the dark side:
http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac14 ... 00%202010/
Ollie Penchansky
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

PBR wrote:pics are on my facebook page or here for those of you that still won't submit to the dark side:
http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac14 ... 00%202010/
Whatever!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Awesome pics Ollie, shame the ambulance tranny died so early.
Is that the San Javier Mission you hear so much about? Beautiful!!
Love baja more everytime I go!
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art