2 trips anybody a Bronco would like to take

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

2 trips anybody a Bronco would like to take

Post by PaulW »

Done after marking. #2 is south of LaPaz, #1 is further north a day later.
1) Comondu to San Isidero.(consult the new Almanac to get oriented)
The road from Insurgentes to Francisco Villa is crap. Paved with huge potholes. Then at the turn to Comondu for 10-12 mile the road was new like the state of the art new road south of puertecitos. Saw the mission and consulted with a local and he said the road from Comondu to Santa Isabel and then to Las Pilas was "mui mal--Mui MAL-MUI MAL". So I asked him about the raod to San Isidro and he said "MAL". Our choice. So away we went up the hill from town - A bad omen - crappy rocks from the rain washout, but the road turned very good. 2wd all the way to the summit where the 2007B1K relay was set up. Then the road disapeared to a jumble of big lava rocks in a deep washout for as far as I could see. Hey easy enough to lift a 2' diameter so I went to work. I was parked on a depression and was working my way down. I got tired so I walked up the hill and walla I found a way to bypass the jumble of rocks and the deep water path. Julie drove in low-low and I guided her around the rocks I was to lazy to move. This went on for about 100' then I took over and crept along in and out of the washed out track. I had to move rocks in one place. easy and we made it thru thes bad section. It took 1 hour to go about 1/2-1mile. Slow because we were solo and I did want to get hung up or get stranded. No metal touched the rocks -A good thing.
Anyway the road just got better and better all the rest of the way to the10B1K track at San Isdro. Then we headed on the race track to Highway 1 and on to San Ignacio. BTW, no tracks over the summit since the storm except one moto track and those tracks went where I could no go.

2) San Juan de Los Planos (south of LaPaz) to Los Barrilias via the coast road.
Drove the nice dirt road toward Punta Arenas and turned off to the "bay of Drerams" resteraunt. (recommended). The Almanac calls the place Ensanada de los Muertos.
Then we went back to Los Planes and started up the coast road. 2wd all the way not to steep. Lots of exposuere as high as 500' on the cliff above the sea. Very narrow - only a few places to pass another full size vehicle. Saw no other vehicles. Sharp curves, but not Colorado style, meaning no 3 point turns required. The road gets back to sea level north of Cardinal. At that point one can drive the new highway to Los Barrlias. We took the coast road and stopped for the night at Punta Pescadero Paridise hotel. Very $nice$ place to stay. The next day was uneventful from Pescadero to Los Barrilials on the dirt and back to LaPaz then to Constitucion on the pavement. Stayed at hotel Osais. Ok place and met up with a gagle pf prerunners
Paul